Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#21 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:00 PM

The idea of Mayor Isitt is chilling to the core, but perhaps the better question - who would be an effective challenger to Helps or Isitt as the case might be.

I feel like whoever it is needs to get out there and establish themselves as a critic every time the new CoV govt does something stupid. Almost like an opposition critic. Build a following via social media, blogs, youtube, wherever over the next 4 years. And don't just criticize but give your own vision of how things could be better. Let people get to know you and what you're about.

Don't know who that person is. It could be Stephen Hammond and really it would be a great way to show voters what they missed out on. But whoever it is needs to get both themselves and their positions known.

#22 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:05 PM

In which case there's a by-election and the challenger needs to have their poop in a group to go at the drop of a hat that is likely a year down the road. Not that a new mayor would have much latitude given the composition of council, but, it would be a good opportunity for someone to demonstrate that they can lead in that context.

I like the idea of LH stepping down to run for the Greens next year federally. If she wants to do this, I will throw my support behind her.

#23 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

I like the idea of LH stepping down to run for the Greens next year federally. If she wants to do this, I will throw my support behind her.

dare i say i'd throw my support behind it if it gets her to step down from the mayors seat... though i would also be concerned who might fill her seat (hopefully no one from the council steps up for it..)

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:05 AM

Would people mind sharing their candidate interactions at home? It would be interesting to glean which campaigns were most effective.

A couple I know on Shelbourne got home to find Helps literature in their mailbox, afterward they got a phone call from Helps herself. Evidence the campaign was ID'ing potential voters with follow-up contact.

In Saanich we got a lot of literature from the main candidates but no calls or visits, but we are out in the daytime. I did spot a Hayes canvasser in our neighbourhood. But as I mentioned before, Saanich is so spread out it is harder to cover efficiently.

I guess the telephone town hall, used by Barry Hobbis in 2010 was a short-lived experiment.

#25 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

I had 2 visits from Helps campaigners and 1 from Together Victoria. No one else. Suggests that knocking on doors Helps.

#26 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:16 AM

In Saanich we got a lot of literature from the main candidates but no calls or visits, but we are out in the daytime. I did spot a Hayes canvasser in our neighbourhood. But as I mentioned before, Saanich is so spread out it is harder to cover efficiently.

I guess the telephone town hall, used by Barry Hobbis in 2010 was a short-lived experiment.

I had Zac visit in like mid-September. I think he might have been trying to build a platform at that point though as he didn't have any flyers and asked us what we want to see in Saanich instead of talking about any kind of platform of his. We also got a Haynes campaigner and we got home with a Wickson flyer in the mailbox while the actual mail came later so I assume him or a campaigner came as well.

#27 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

Only visit I got was from Plant supporters. No direct visits from any candidates, no other supporter visits, no missed visits that I'm aware of (no literature at the door, only in the mailbox). I'm in SFH neighbourhood in Royal Oak.

#28 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

Would people mind sharing their candidate interactions at home? It would be interesting to glean which campaigns were most effective.

Ben Issit, Laurel Collins, and Marg Gardiner all knocked on my door and spoke to someone in the house. 

Got a phone call from the Helps campaign.

• Rob Randall likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#29 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

The day before the election a ton of apartments got stuff for together victoria, Helps, and one about general renters rights stressing that renters really need to get out and vote to protect them selves and not let the property owning minority continue to dominate the city.  I didn't get one in my tiny building, but most of my Cook St village area friends found them stuffed under their suite doors.

I wish we had more advanced polling in the city because it would be really interesting to see if there really was a big demographic shift in this election,  if more renters really did rally and get out the vote.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#30 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

A couple of observations on the New Council campaign - easy in hind sight, harder when in the middle of it all.  I'm not sure the name was the wisest choice - it basically said, we're here to replace the other guys, rather than we're here to move Victoria forward.  Together Victoria's name has a positive connotation and I think that helped them at the polls.  As such any future slate needs to really think on what it is they're trying to sell, and it better go beyond replacing those at the table.  Second observation - color choice.  Yellow is a cautionary colour - you slow down and prepare to stop at a yellow light.  (For what it's worth, I find Mike Geogeghan's signs absolutely obnoxious and an assault on the eyes).  Third observation - make it easy for people to show their support in electronic and social media platforms.  Take the time to have virtual lawn signs created - both for page and profile pictures (ie. have a frame that people can use to show their support).  Fourth observation - use the social media tools available.  Hammond and New Council were on facebook - but they didn't seem to use the tool to it's fullest potential.  There was a notable absence on twitter.  Social media can be a very powerful and positive campaign tool - and best of all, if your supporters are willing to shout from the roof tops your platform to their friends, that's free and very persuasive advertising.  Lastly, platform - the platform needs to communicate a positive vision for Victoria going forward - where does the slate see Victoria in 5 or 10 years and how will they get there?  What policies or programs are they going to undertake?  There's an opportunity there to highlight the bigger fails of the incumbents by pointing out what has happened over the previous four years and how your group is going to remedy it.  This is also an opportunity to put people's minds at ease about what you will or won't do - New Council would have been well served to have communicated exactly what they were going to do with the existing bike lanes (as an example).  Frankly, I think they should have capitalized and owned the "Mad as Hell" roots - Signs that say "Hell Yeah, I'm Voting!" might be more compelling and a direct answer "Voting Helps".  

All that said, I absolutely voted for New Council and thought they were the best choice, and feel that perhaps I should have stepped up more sooner to assist.

#31 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

Many of those were done right by United in Saanich and they also got trounced. So I'm not so sure how much name and sign colours plays. Platform I think plays a lot more.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#32 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

Many of those were done right by United in Saanich and they also got trounced. So I'm not so sure how much name and sign colours plays. Platform I think plays a lot more.

True - as does the who, are the people running resonating with voters.  I think Stephen Andrew resonated, his campaign fell just short of securing a spot and had New Council been a little more spot on with some of the details (including platform), he'd be at the table.  

#33 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

I had the chance to talk to a lot of over-50's after the election and was surprised how many of them voted helps and TV.  These are generally fairly non-political people so I found their reasons for picking one person over another interesting.

-Newcouncil was seen as negative, mean, uncaring.  I'm not sure which one but I had 3 seperate people tell me they'd never vote for "that creep who used to be on the news" or something along those lines.

-I heard lots of things like "I don't really know how to judge anyone's politics or abilities, but Together Victoria seem like some really positive younger faces" or "Ben and Jeremy always seem so loving and positive rather than angry and negative"

-Everyone thought Geo was a gross red-faced creep and his signs were a huge turn-off.  "He looks like Doug Ford or something,  why would he plaster his face like that?"

For so many people policies and ideology didn't even come up when they told me how they voted.  They just wanted smiles and positivity, good vibes not "mad as hell" vibes.  I was also surprised how many boomers were telling me they voted TV because "My generation's been running things long enough,  it's really time to pass the reigns to the your generation now".  Again, their politics and policies never came up.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:44 AM

I agree with the face thing. Unless you're fairly attractive as a man, don't put a picture up. Definitely put one up if you're young.

#35 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

I had the chance to talk to a lot of over-50's after the election and was surprised how many of them voted helps and TV.  These are generally fairly non-political people so I found their reasons for picking one person over another interesting.

-Newcouncil was seen as negative, mean, uncaring.  I'm not sure which one but I had 3 seperate people tell me they'd never vote for "that creep who used to be on the news" or something along those lines.

-I heard lots of things like "I don't really know how to judge anyone's politics or abilities, but Together Victoria seem like some really positive younger faces" or "Ben and Jeremy always seem so loving and positive rather than angry and negative"

-Everyone thought Geo was a gross red-faced creep and his signs were a huge turn-off.  "He looks like Doug Ford or something,  why would he plaster his face like that?"

For so many people policies and ideology didn't even come up when they told me how they voted.  They just wanted smiles and positivity, good vibes not "mad as hell" vibes.  I was also surprised how many boomers were telling me they voted TV because "My generation's been running things long enough,  it's really time to pass the reigns to the your generation now".  Again, their politics and policies never came up.

Kind of disturbing when I think about it.  Completely puts form ahead of function and ignores the valid reasons many people choose not to pursue office given the stage of their life that they're in.  I want thoughtful and committed, and sometimes that means not being at the table until a person is much older.  

#36 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

A decent business person with a well run campaign can win, there is just no one interested in really trying. 2018 showed no one was serious about trying to defeat Lisa Helps or elect business oriented candidates to council

I would have thought this as well but if the feedback I am hearing from the younger demo is true and that they vote for those they can identify with rather than who they think will do a good job then we may not see a "business leader" for a very long time.

#37 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:22 AM

That is because in Victoria most of them will have died of old age before they ever have to deal with the repercussions! 

I think the issue is more fundamental. Many older people in town feel as though they have been left behind by the "system", especially the ones on fixed incomes living in apartments in Fairfield or James Bay and wondering how they are going to pay for their care as they age. Out of frustration they are willing to accept new ideas hoping that they will make a difference. Hope isn't a strategy but better than more of the same.

Edited by spanky123, 22 October 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

I would have thought this as well but if the feedback I am hearing from the younger demo is true and that they vote for those they can identify with rather than who they think will do a good job then we may not see a "business leader" for a very long time.

We'll see a business leader again in a future election but it will be someone more resembling the Shane Devereaux/Rob Reid/Bradbury sisters model than the Peter Pollen/Bob Cross/Stan Sipos characters of olden times. In other words, don't think a future "business" candidate won't be progressive and socially conscious.

#39 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

We'll see a business leader again in a future election but it will be someone more resembling the Shane Devereaux/Rob Reid/Bradbury sisters model than the Peter Pollen/Bob Cross/Stan Sipos characters of olden times. In other words, don't think a future "business" candidate won't be progressive and socially conscious.

As they should be. I for one would like a candidate who is truly progressive and actually gets things done rather than talking bumperstickers without making any real progress on homelessness etc. The 1st annoucement I recall after the 2014 election was liberating the skateboarders. Hopefully we'll see something better this time. I'm willing to give the New Isitteers a chance; maybe they'll have some stronger ideas than Papa Bear.

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

Figured this may as well get started now.  So who thinks single term Helps will go for a third term?

Sorry...I'm working on more important items on my bucket list than fussing about 2022. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users