Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#41 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

Sorry...I'm working on more important items on my bucket list than fussing about 2022. 

The best time to learn from the past, is immediately after it happens.  Perhaps a little more fussing a little sooner about 2018 would have yielded a more inspiring result.

#42 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

The best time to learn from the past, is immediately after it happens. Perhaps a little more fussing a little sooner about 2018 would have yielded a more inspiring result.

I’m hoping Victoria and Saanich have merged by then so any predictions won’t be accurate

#43 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

I’m hoping Victoria and Saanich have merged by then so any predictions won’t be accurate

I hoped Victoria and Saanich would have merged by now, it hasn't happened and I can't see it being completed with the folks currently around the table.

#44 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

Before Saanich and Victoria amalgamate there will have to be a vote from the public.   The vote is binding on the councils involved.     I do not think that vote will happen before the next election but will be part of the election

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#45 FogPub

FogPub
  • 980 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

I had the chance to talk to a lot of over-50's after the election and was surprised how many of them voted helps and TV.  These are generally fairly non-political people so I found their reasons for picking one person over another interesting.

-Newcouncil was seen as negative, mean, uncaring.  I'm not sure which one but I had 3 seperate people tell me they'd never vote for "that creep who used to be on the news" or something along those lines.

-I heard lots of things like "I don't really know how to judge anyone's politics or abilities, but Together Victoria seem like some really positive younger faces" or "Ben and Jeremy always seem so loving and positive rather than angry and negative"

-Everyone thought Geo was a gross red-faced creep and his signs were a huge turn-off.  "He looks like Doug Ford or something,  why would he plaster his face like that?"

For so many people policies and ideology didn't even come up when they told me how they voted.  They just wanted smiles and positivity, good vibes not "mad as hell" vibes.  I was also surprised how many boomers were telling me they voted TV because "My generation's been running things long enough,  it's really time to pass the reigns to the your generation now".  Again, their politics and policies never came up.

There's also a distrusting backlash against anything even remotely perceived as being the potential third coming of Trump and Ford, and Hammond/New Council didn't do enough (or anything?) in terms of taking a clear and blatant stand on distancing themselves from that perception.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#46 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

There's also a distrusting backlash against anything even remotely perceived as being the potential third coming of Trump and Ford, and Hammond/New Council didn't do enough (or anything?) in terms of taking a clear and blatant stand on distancing themselves from that perception.

i know, imagine, full employment & an economy running on all 8 cylinders....it really is terrible....where is the wealth redistribution/confiscation when anyone that wants to work has a job...

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

But the thing is, if given the chance you'd be surprised just how many local people will vote for the Trumps and the Fords of this world. Those guys get things done, and they have personalities that you can't help but like despite their imperfections.

Geoghegan probably thought he could capitalize on the Trump/Ford movement but he had too much baggage going into the campaign and his team handled themselves like amateurs by fumbling about with the utterly outrageous 'aiding and abetting a fugitive of the law' farce that turned Mike into an instant victim, to allowing Mike to personally engage individuals on social media complete with vague answers and grammatical errors, to running with second rate marketing materials, starting with a botched announcement, unabashedly claiming he was in the lead, and last but not least never being able to shed the 'I registered with a Saanich address but I actually live in an apartment somewhere on Queens Avenue' thing.

Now all that being said, Geoghegan still secured over 4,000 votes! That's amazing if you consider just how badly run his campaign was. But, unfortunately, he took thousands of votes away from Hammond just by splitting the vote and by making the wild accusation against him.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

i know, imagine, full employment & an economy running on all 8 cylinders....it really is terrible....where is the wealth redistribution/confiscation when anyone that wants to work has a job...

Hey, easy now. A jobless man now has a job because of the election.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

I have never heard anyone describe Trump as having a personality you can't help but like. 

#50 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

Hey, easy now. A jobless man now has a job because of the election.

Its absolutely hilarious when folks trot out the fearmongering comments like "we dont want another Trump or a Ford"....what the heck, We cant afford another Wynne or Horvath!!!

It swings both ways, lets for once try to find leadership a little more centrist for all our sanity

• Mike K. and Awaiting Juno like this

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

I have never heard anyone describe Trump as having a personality you can't help but like. 

You haven't? Huge scores of people absolutely love his personality. Just watch 20 minutes of a Trump rally to see what I mean.

Know it all.

#52 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

Me, I see this: Isitt has jumped to higher politics. Helps retires to a cushy poverty business position, Loveday wins the 2022 election.

There’s a reason Lisa says one more term, she’s made promises to someone else. I hope it’s not issit. Loveday would be a better mayor imo opinion. In a perfect world, I’d have neither. But it seems no one is willing to elect someone with no experience on council

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

See, that's the thing that is so shocking to me. Real-world experience is now perceived as lesser than political experience.

• rjag, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.

#54 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

We'll see a business leader again in a future election but it will be someone more resembling the Shane Devereaux/Rob Reid/Bradbury sisters model than the Peter Pollen/Bob Cross/Stan Sipos characters of olden times. In other words, don't think a future "business" candidate won't be progressive and socially conscious.

I hope that the current council changes their approach. It obviously didn’t hurt them in this election - but if too many people feel drastic change is being shoved down their throats - the pendulum will swing in the other direction

#55 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

I used to find him rather entertaining when he was just a celebrity ... but NOT as a leader of a country - dangerous AF
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#56 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

But the thing is, if given the chance you'd be surprised just how many local people will vote for the Trumps and the Fords of this world. Those guys get things done, and they have personalities that you can't help but like despite their imperfections.

Geoghegan probably thought he could capitalize on the Trump/Ford movement but he had too much baggage going into the campaign and his team handled themselves like amateurs by fumbling about with the utterly outrageous 'aiding and abetting a fugitive of the law' farce that turned Mike into an instant victim, to allowing Mike to personally engage individuals on social media complete with vague answers and grammatical errors, to running with second rate marketing materials, starting with a botched announcement, unabashedly claiming he was in the lead, and last but not least never being able to shed the 'I registered with a Saanich address but I actually live in an apartment somewhere on Queens Avenue' thing.

Now all that being said, Geoghegan still secured over 4,000 votes! That's amazing if you consider just how badly run his campaign was. But, unfortunately, he took thousands of votes away from Hammond just by splitting the vote and by making the wild accusation against him.

Big mike rubbed me the wrong way right from the beginning. I saw him responding rudely to comments on Facebook. Didn’t get a good vibe from him. He talked the talk it just seemed ... disingenuous

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

See, that's the thing. A candidate should never, ever engage voters through Facebook unless it is to make an announcement or celebrate a positive milestone. It doesn't matter what a candidate says in those 20 words, there will be those who don't like the answer. And when an answer is vague or even remotely off-putting it's game over.

If you want to engage voters you do so where you can actually express yourself (like VV; shameless plug) and not within the tiny confines of a response to someone's off-the-cuff comment on a Facebook post.

• Rob Randall, Bernard, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

See, that's the thing. A candidate should never, ever engage voters through Facebook unless it is to make an announcement or celebrate a positive milestone. It doesn't matter what a candidate says in those 20 words, there will be those who don't like the answer. And when an answer is vague or even remotely off-putting it's game over.

If you want to engage voters you do so where you can actually express yourself (like VV; shameless plug) and not within the tiny confines of a response to someone's off-the-cuff comment on a Facebook post.

And when it's late at night and your nerves are frazzled it's easy to say something you'd regret. We've seen candidates self-destruct on these very pages. I think Geoghegan is very much like Trump in that they both prefer the game of politicking, battling foes in the trenches. Actually winning and leading is a bore.

I memorized how to spell Geohegan, McGuigan, Schmid and Zmuda, all for naught.

• Mike K. likes this

#59 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

and you got it wrong on your last line.....

• lanforod likes this

#60 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:27 PM

^Who? Where?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users