Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#661 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 08:58 AM

Do you think people like your friends would think of voting for anyone other than the current crew at least? It would be a start, of course TV type candidates will likely make up the majority of new candidates so we could end up with a continuation of the same problems.

Judging by the recent federal and provincial election results, I don’t think Victoria has learned anything yet.
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

#662 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:20 AM

Yes, I think if they knew they were voting for a sensible alternative they would definitely do so.  But the problem is not knowing anything or where to start.  As you suggest, just being offered a list of names on the ballot is unlikely to yield a positive result.

By the time the election is close it’s too late.  The TC will present a little capsule version of each candidate.  Many of the candidates themselves will have webpages making the usual vague motherhood promises (more housing, better infrastructure, greener environment, etc) and glossing over their lack of any useful qualifications.  There will be a few unhelpful radio interviews and possibly some all candidate meetings (generally packed with advocates.)  Maybe some zoom events populated mainly by sycophants.

There’s not much to go on unless the candidate has a really high public profile.  Even if you really try to research them it’s hard to discover anything but pablum.  That’s why an organized, high visibility effort is needed and needs to start early.

• Nparker, phx, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#663 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:09 AM

There is a group who is canvassing for an unofficial slate and they are extremely well funded. I don't know if they will be successful however (ie getting good people to run) but they are the only ones I know that could pose a legitimate threat at the moment.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#664 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 06:40 PM

You give me hope!!

#665 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 February 2022 - 11:03 AM

I'm still sitting on the fence and considering running - however, I'm starting to gear up with the intent of making a decision soon (likely by mid-April). Part of that is building a list of people who are keen to support me should I decide to run for a council seat in the October 15, 2022 municipal election. As such, on twitter, I've asked those keen on supporting me in the next election to pass along their name, phone number, address and email via direct message. The perk: this group is likely to be first to know when I decide to run... Note: I will not sell or disclose your personal information to anyone else and will use it for the sole purpose of the October 2022 election unless specific consent is given otherwise.

Thanks

Janice

• Nparker, rjag, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#666 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 02:50 PM

Are Ryan Painter and Rob Painter related and if so...isn't that some sort of conflict for the Vic School Board anyhow?

#667 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:39 AM

Are Ryan Painter and Rob Painter related and if so...isn't that some sort of conflict for the Vic School Board anyhow?

No. It's Rob *Paynter

#668 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 09:10 AM

There is a group who is canvassing for an unofficial slate and they are extremely well funded. I don't know if they will be successful however (ie getting good people to run) but they are the only ones I know that could pose a legitimate threat at the moment.

The other day I was talking to a neighbour who is pretty well connected in town.  He mentioned such a group and said they had talked to a number of potential candidates and couldn’t find one that was willing to run.  I don’t know if that’s the same group or not.  Maybe there is more than one - I hope so.

#669 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:47 AM

“No one believes that the same group of politicians who allowed our city to become this unsafe, corrupt and cruel can solve any of the problems we face,” 

...Rick Caruso, candidate for Mayor (in Los Angeles)

• Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 4 others like this

#670 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 10:49 AM

I posted this in the wrong thread this morning and didn't get much of a reaction. I found this poster on Salt Spring yesterday.

Read the fine print.

daj1.jpg

#671 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 11:31 AM

One recent arrival here has thrown his hat into the ring to become mayor.

He doesn’t seem to understand, despite repeated comments, that SSI is unincorporated and can’t have a mayor. I think he’s trolling, but he insists he’s serious. Fabulous.
  • Nparker likes this

#672 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 11:58 AM

Did he look like this?

Check out the election platform. If you just bought a new condo in Victoria...he wants to tear it down.

daj2.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#673 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,784 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 12:02 PM

Did he look like this?

Check out the election platform. If you just bought a new condo in Victoria...he wants to tear it down.

Penniless: why a Victoria man has gone two decades without money

David Johnston won’t touch money, except to destroy it

https://www.capitald...s-without-money

#674 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 12:50 PM

Sadly, his platform isn't a lot different from the "legitimate" candidates. :whyme:

Edited by Nparker, 11 May 2022 - 01:15 PM.

• Daveyboy, Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

#675 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 01:11 PM

I posted this in the wrong thread this morning and didn't get much of a reaction. I found this poster on Salt Spring yesterday.

Read the fine print.

attachicon.gif daj1.jpg

Gee, David Johnson has buffed up a lot since last I saw him shambling along the street in his sheepskin vest.  Maybe it’s those healthy Red Cedar meals.

#676 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:37 PM

CoV staff proposing changes to mail in ballot rules for the upcoming election. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=80382

My reading of this is that staff would start tabulating voting results when the ballots are received which in most cases, presumably, would be prior to election day.

#677 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 06:44 PM

CoV staff proposing changes to mail in ballot rules for the upcoming election. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=80382

My reading of this is that staff would start tabulating voting results when the ballots are received which in most cases, presumably, would be prior to election day.

The only benefit in allowing secrecy envelopes opened and ballots inserted into machine would seem to be slightly faster posting of preliminary vote results.

What's the hurry...just hire some extra counters and do it night of, like everybody else. Counting votes before the polls close is just asking for a leak - or some such.

I, for one, would not trust anyone to do this...not even me, and I have worked elections since i was a kid!

• Mike K. and Awaiting Juno like this

#678 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 06:01 AM

^ The other change being proposed is to allow voters to request vote by mail envelopes up until the close of voting on election day. Previously it was the Thursday beforehand. So I am assuming then the only way that works is that you get a vote by mail envelop, fill it out and then turn it in to the voting station. If you mail it won't it then be late?

Are they planning to sequester the vote tabulators? I assume they are not so once they go home they presumably know the count of the votes they have tallied and there is nothing to stop them from then telling a few friends. Those friends can then go to the polling station and pick up a bunch of mail in ballets and ...

Edited by spanky123, 13 May 2022 - 06:02 AM.

#679 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,784 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 06:12 AM

Yes. Nothing should be counted until polls close.
  • Nparker and Teardrop like this

#680 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:48 AM

Krista Loughton was interviewed by Joe Perkins on the MicChek podcast. Joe didn't get a lot of straight answers out of her citing the need to do her research, 'it depends', etc. However, she thinks more shelters would take burden off police, likely would vote to reopen Arbutus Way, wants to leave Clover Point as is, thinks the Crystal Pool could be rebuilt on the corner of Royal Athletic Park, supports the Missing Middle Housing, and supports Amalgamation. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users