Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#701 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,879 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:10 PM

Interesting.

~30% compared to ~60%.

Yes, but a bit of an unfair comparison. In 2018 there were more choices, but you also had more people you could vote for.

And Comrade Isitt got most votes of any councillor.

#702 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:32 PM

No mention of whether she is going to move into Victoria from Saanich?

#703 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:49 PM

No mention of whether she is going to move into Victoria from Saanich?

In a just universe that would automatically disqualify her.

• mbjj likes this

#704 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,879 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:59 PM

Andrew announced his candidacy for mayor last November and has been unofficially campaigning since. Even a few days before Alto’s announcement, Andrew appeared to be stirring the pot, posting on his public figure Facebook page, “A mayor should live AND sleep in the municipality they lead. What do you think?”

The comment seemed to be aimed at the fact Alto owns a home in the Burnside Gorge neighbourhood of Victoria, but currently stays in another home not far away but just over the Saanich side of the border. Andrew also lives in Burnside Gorge.

https://www.vicnews....e-on-its-hands/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 May 2022 - 06:00 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#705 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:56 PM

If you don’t live in the muni, you should not be representing it as an elected official.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#706 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,879 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:55 AM

I agree.

It's time for this to be an election issue.

So for two other councilors, too.

Thornton-Joe - Saanich

Loveday - Esquimalt

Alto - Saanich

• Nparker likes this

#707 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:48 AM

Alto has come down on the wrong side of every issue - road closures, camping in the parks, bike lanes, Clover Point, JAM statue, etc.  But forget all that, she’s going to do better next time.  Okay.  October will be a test of how gullible and ignorant Victoria voters actually are.

• spanky123 and mbjj like this

#708 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:51 AM

...October will be a test of how gullible and ignorant Victoria voters actually are.

I have lost faith in Victoria voters to do the right thing.

#709 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,879 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:52 AM

She also says this:

She pointed to key priorities for the city during the next council term, including housing, maintaining a strong local economy, the climate crisis, reconciliation and a renewed focus on city services.

and

She said the current council has reason to be proud of what it’s done and how it’s weathered the pandemic, but argues it has to be mindful that while aspects of the city are thriving, there are others that have been heavily challenged.

This council and Mayor have done almost nothing right.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2022 - 07:53 AM.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, mbjj and 1 other like this

#710 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:01 AM

Okay.  October will be a test of how gullible and ignorant Victoria voters actually are.

The reality is that the people who back political campaigns and coordinate organization are the ones that have a dog in the fight. Alto is saying what those people want to hear and is being rewarded for it. Despite disagreeing with Stephen on a number of issues I think that he has integrity but that might hurt him come election time if the average Joe and Jane don't vote.

• Nparker likes this

#711 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:01 AM

If you don’t live in the muni, you should not be representing it as an elected official.

Then you would be eliminating most businesspeople who own property, pay taxes and run businesses but who live elsewhere. 

• Ismo07 likes this

#712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:10 AM

I agree, there are exceptions, and if I'm honest with myself, I would probably vote for someone who does not reside within the muni but has a direct financial stake within it*, or has served the municipality in some fashion.

*I do not believe owning a house within the CoV is a sufficient level of association to a municipality that qualifies you as a local for the purposes of seeking office. It has to be bigger than that, like numerous properties, and/or a business. A house or condo can be sold overnight and then you're no longer financially tethered to the decisions you enact on others. Now if you own multiple properties, and/or a business, that's a different level of commitment to a muni.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#713 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:35 AM

If they can be elected while not living there those of us not living there should also get to vote.... 

#714 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:03 AM

Alto has shown she is incapable of standing up to the other dysfunctional councilors that stray far out of their lanes. She is a weather vane. Her role in the "City Family" is evidence enough she isn't interested in direct democracy or the simple obligation of transparency and open debate.

I don't care where she lives or how she dresses or any of that nonsense. I'm only concerned with the role the person plays in running the city and not running the city down like the last 4 years. That being said, I think she doesnt have the gravitas, or the people skills to manage an activist dysfunctional council

• Nparker and JimV like this

#715 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,879 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:18 AM

Alto has shown she is incapable of standing up to the other dysfunctional councilors that stray far out of their lanes. She is a weather vane. Her role in the "City Family" is evidence enough she isn't interested in direct democracy or the simple obligation of transparency and open debate.

Yes, her role in the "City Family" BS is problematic.  That whole experiment is and was a bad idea.  And yes, it's contrary to the normal workings of a democratic local government.

#716 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:56 AM

She is now saying what her pollsters are telling her in that people are fed up with having change rammed down their throats. Too bad she always sided with Helps when she did the ramming!

• JimV likes this

#717 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 12:16 PM

What bugs me about the city family is one of their first acts was to censor the past as opposed to look at it and accept it. Canceling Macdonald does no service to the “truth” part in truth and reconciliation. I also object to them stating that he was the architect of the residential school system as if he was the leader of this country when in fact he was not the “Sovereign”.
"By adhering to the monarchical principle we avoid one defect inherent in the Constitution of the United States. By the election of the president by a majority and for a short period, he never is the sovereign and chief of the nation. He is never looked up to by the whole people as the head and front of the nation. He is at best but the successful leader of a party. This defect is all the greater on account of the practice of reelection. During his first term of office he is employed in taking steps to secure his own reelection, and for his party a continuance of power. We avoid this by adhering to the monarchical principle – the sovereign whom you respect and love. I believe that it is of the utmost importance to have that principle recognized so that we shall have a sovereign who is placed above the region of party – to whom all parties look up; who is not elevated by the action of one party nor depressed by the action of another; who is the common head and sovereign of all."

~John A. Macdonald,

Edited by dasmo, 18 May 2022 - 12:17 PM.

#718 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:49 AM

Alto does have some name recognition in the city and she has been on council for a fair while (unlike Andrews who is relatively new to the council) but to me Alto doesn't stand out, there is nothing about her that to me has caused her to stand out, she isn't active on twitter, she doesn't really reach out socially to the greater victoria like Andrews has.. her twitter is pretty much inactive, her facebook is meh(fairly inactive lots of links very little conversation with people), i can't remember the last time i saw her on the news speaking up or out about something for the city... she feels like a re-poster/follow the pack type person, not a person who would lead and drive... and at this point the city needs someone strong at the wheel to steer it out of the disaster it's heading for (and the impression i get from Alto is she just wants to keep on carrying on)

#719 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,879 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 04:33 AM

She’s only tweeted once since 2018.

#720 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 04:56 AM

Those folks who've actually worked in any capacity with Alto will understand why her calm demeanour is refreshing compared to the remainder of Council.

She's definitely not the "ideal" candidate in my view, but if you've worked with her, you'll know she's well read on any given situation, not prone to knee-jerk reactions on the spot, and is otherwise demonstrative of a well reasoned politician (albeit one that I don't always agree with).

Because this doesn't translate into agreeing with everything she's said or done, it also doesn't anticipate that she'd be a great mayor ... rather it only notes that she's a strong candidate among those currently running.

In the absence of a well known, right of centre business person running for Mayor ... we'll have to discuss those that are running. Such conversation doesn't automatically translate into "best person for the job" ... only "best candidate in the current field".

Edited by Spy Black, 19 May 2022 - 04:57 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users