Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#61 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

^Who? Where?

your spelling of Geogeghan

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

your spelling of Geogeghan

GawDAMMIT. That was ONE time. 

As for whether it's good to put your picture on your election sign, I'm trying to decide which would garner me the most votes:

Untitled-1.jpg

• Baro, rjag, Bernard and 2 others like this

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:05 PM

Lol!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

GawDAMMIT. That was ONE time.

As for whether it's good to put your picture on your election sign, I'm trying to decide which would garner me the most votes:

Untitled-1.jpg

Ha! Don’t make me laugh. Get a sex change first and then you MIGHT have a chance in this town

#65 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

Looking at the lead time of TV - I think in order to stand a chance of making significant in roads, the work needs to happen well in advance of the next election.  I'm hoping TV proves more pragmatic than they appear at first blush, but a little balance isn't a bad thing and what we've been left with is a bit too thin (Geoff Young) to provide that balance.  

#66 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:08 AM

Its strange times we live in when we think that Alto and Joe are going to be the centrist with Young

• Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

What a serious contender in 2022 needs to begin doing immediately is launching into (un)official opposition mode. Be the go-to individual/group that opines on council's decisions in a succinct way and promote those views to the media.

There has to be a two-way discussing in civic politics and that doesn't exist. From the looks of it it these discussions can no longer be left for the media to pursue alone in an effort to ask the questions that need asking.

• John M., grantpalin, RoadRunner and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

What a serious contender in 2022 needs to begin doing immediately is launching into (un)official opposition mode. Be the go-to individual/group that opines on council's decisions in a succinct way and promote those views to the media.

There has to be a two-way discussing in civic politics and that doesn't exist. From the looks of it it these discussions can no longer be left for the media to pursue alone in an effort to ask the questions that need asking.

Absolutely.  The long-term vitality of the city will rely on this happening, people need to be aware and need to feel like there is a viable alternative with good ideas to move the city forward.  However, merely criticizing what the city does will be hollow unless, such an opposition also brings forward there own set of solutions and improvements.  The should have an alternative platform that is developed over the course of the term of the next council, with clear goals (and how they'd measure them) and strategies for how they'd get there.  If current council takes some of those ideas and actually uses them, at the very least perhaps a kind of harm reduction will have occurred.  Further, if slates can be formed that will advance some of the ideas within other municipalities that might expedite the ability to move forward with these things (in particular amalgamation of the core). 

• Mike K. and nerka like this

#69 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:08 PM

Someone has to be building a public presence that relates to the development of the city in more of a positive way, solutions based and not anger based.   in three years that person could build credibility and become a serious threat to win a council seat in 2022 if they campaign well.   

The path is not through community associations or the Chamber of Commerce.

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

Exactly, the path has to be organic and free of the kind of political baggage that is associated with community associations.

Look at Marg Gardiner’s performance. Well known, well connected and politically active and yet she still finished 15th behind all the NewCouncil candidates.

I also don’t think it’s worth one’s while anymore to build name recognition through running multiple times. You’re either in it for the win at first crack or you step aside. Social media and getting the word out are what’s important and not your name on a ballot.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#71 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, I hadn't heard of any of the TV people before the election and look how they did.  The longer you run and have your face and name in the game, the more baggage you add, the more people have to fairly or unfairly judge you by.  I think a lot of people today want a clean happy blank slate they can project their hopes onto.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#72 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

Exactly, the path has to be organic and free of the kind of political baggage that is associated with community associations.

Look at Marg Gardiner’s performance. Well known, well connected and politically active and yet she still finished 15th behind all the NewCouncil candidates.

I also don’t think it’s worth one’s while anymore to build name recognition through running multiple times. You’re either in it for the win at first crack or you step aside. Social media and getting the word out are what’s important and not your name on a ballot.

Off the top of everyone's head (no looking it up), who are the candidates that ran in 2014 and did not win and then ran in 2018?

The multiple running thing is something Vic Derman thought was a good idea he ran in 1993, 1996, 1999 and finally was elected in 2002.   Did he win because he ran so many times or did he get elected because there was a huge mood for change in 2002 in Saanich?   

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

Municipal politics of 20 years ago are vastly different to politics of today. Your social media prowess and your brand matters far more than many other aspects of your campaign and one or two media outlets no longer control the narrative (back in 2000 nobody knew who you were unless the TC and CHEK liked ya).

Just off the top of my head (no cheating) we saw Filipovic, Godron, the Clown (Duncan), Henry, and I “think” Ted Smith run again.

Know it all.

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

A losing candidate has a bit of a stink about them so if they want to take another shot at it they have to double their efforts because the simple name recognition isn't enough. Marianne Alto and Ned Taylor are just two that came out stronger the second time around and won. More ads, bigger signs etc.

The ones I can't understand are the losers that run the identical cheapo campaign over and over. Delusional. Either step it up or quit.

#75 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

I have no doubt that if Rose Henry had been properly mentored she would have been on Council easy. I mean, someone saying, "We're going to raise you $10,000, get you a nice suit, a truckload of signs and a campaign manager". 

Marg Gardiner, on the other hand, represents the last in a long line of James Bay/Fairfield community activists notable for their omnipresent three-ring binders and encyclopedic knowledge of even the most obscure zoning bylaws. Their ranks included Hollohan, Van Dyke, Van Alstine and Erik Kaye of Fernwood. All of them were more than qualified to be councillors and all ran at least twice yet none were able to win.

Correction: Pieta Van Dyke was on council in the late 80s, ran again in 2008 and lost. Thanks Bernard.

Edited by Rob Randall, 24 October 2018 - 02:07 PM.

• Baro likes this

#76 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Municipal politics of 20 years ago are vastly different to politics of today. Your social media prowess and your brand matters far more than many other aspects of your campaign and one or two media outlets no longer control the narrative (back in 2000 nobody knew who you were unless the TC and CHEK liked ya).

Just off the top of my head (no cheating) we saw Filipovic, Godron, the Clown (Duncan), Henry, and I “think” Ted Smith run again.

The most successful loser from 2014 that ran in 2018 was Andrew Reeve......

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

Oh right, and Stephen Andrew.

Know it all.

#78 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

Oh right, and Stephen Andrew.

I was only thinking of the council candidates, but yes Stephen Andrew did run in both.

#79 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

Here's Rose Henry. Perhaps the most consistent numbers of any candidate.

2002: 3,491 (15th place)

2005: 3,339 (15th place)

2008: 3,372 (11th place)

2010: 1,799 (4th place)*

2011: 4,866 (12th place)

2018: 4,076 (17th place)

*Sonya Chandler quitting special by-election

---

Here's another interesting stat taken from Bernard's page (updated to include new results)

The number is the total votes for the candidate that won the eighth and final seat on council

2018 12,245 - Marianne Alto
2014 8,017 - Chris Coleman

2011 6,793 - Chris Coleman
2008 6,002 - John Luton
2005 5,193 - Bea Holland
2002 6,090 - Bea Holland
1999 4,809 - Jane Lunt
1996 3,662 - Jane Lunt

• Bernard and nerka like this

#80 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:09 PM

The most successful loser from 2014 that ran in 2018 was Andrew Reeve......

*sigh*

• Rob Randall, lanforod and John M. like this

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)