Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#921 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2022 - 02:39 PM

Declared Candidates so far:

Council:

* Matt Dell

* Dave Thompson

* Jeremy Caradonna

* Jordan Quitzau

* Steven Hammond

* Krista Loughton

Mayor:

* Maryanne Alto

* Stephen Andrew

It'll be interesting to see who else steps up and what they're positions are.

That's a mostly terribly disappointing list.  It's like watching to see who sticks up their hand for a run at my strata council at the AGM.  

• Barrrister and JimV like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#922 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:46 PM

So far I’m voting for both Stephen’s/ stevens - can we make a list of who the bicycle council members are?
  • mbjj, Barrrister, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#923 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:53 PM

That's a mostly terribly disappointing list.  It's like watching to see who sticks up their hand for a run at my strata council at the AGM.  

Attached Images

• Screenshot from 2022-07-06 17-52-42.png

#924 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:57 PM

how about a list of undeclared candidates?

#925 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:16 AM

Undeclared: Janice Williams - and I know people are getting impatient for me to make an actual announcement on my intent. Let me get over the COVID (so far very, very mild) I managed to acquire this past week, and expect something official before the end of July.

Positions:

* Move picnic tables and seating to the grassy areas in front of the parking and or on the promenade on the East side of the point and reopen the loop of clover point - install a general access gate to close the loop to traffic for special events (ie: the historic Kite Festival) while maintaining accessible parking for those with accessibility challenges.

* Restore vehicle access to the parking lot in Beacon Hill Park by the rock garden and children's play area - move the recently installed pickleball courts to a portion of the City's Parks and Public Works facilities located in the park (near the Cook St. Village Playground and the Tennis Courts).

* Restore Richardson to secondary collector road status and install bike lanes similar to those found on upper Cook in Saanich on Richardson.

* Seek recommendations on remedying the hazards of the bike lanes on Pandora and Wharf St.

* Restore Vancouver St. as a North South road with bike lanes in both directions, again similar to those found on upper Cook in Saanich on Richardson.

* Take action to improve accessibility in the city by engaging with those in the disability community to identify and remediate barriers to access to improve accessibility. In particular seek to make parks and playgrounds more accessible.

* Respect the terms and conditions of the Beacon Hill Park Trust and seek to enhance the recreation opportunities offered within the park.

* Issue a "City Services Card" to residents to enable "resident preferred" rates for a range of city amenities, including recreation centres, parking, and transit.

* Enforce bylaws with respect to parking and use of park spaces.

* Require those providing shelter services to report their vacancy rates on a nightly basis, those found sleeping in public spaces will be directed to shelters that have space until all shelter spaces are filled - determine what number of shelter spaces are needed to ensure that bylaws can be enforced - adopt a "Safe Shelter First" policy with a view to enabling independence in finding appropriate housing either within the City of Victoria or elsewhere.

* Improve access to recreation centre facilities - look to replace/refurbish Crystal Pool

* Identify programs and expenditures that are "outside the lane" of municipal government and move to eliminate those expenditures from the municipal budget to ensure municipal resources are available for mission critical functions including public safety.

* Increase transparency of city services - with public reporting of development application wait times and status. Ensure that building permits that do not require rezoning can be issued within 90 days of initial application, with fee reductions for waits that exceed the service standard.

* Provide a property tax rebate for homeowners that provide a month to month residential rental within their principal residence as long as occupancy of that rental exceeds 90% of the year AND the price of the rental does not exceed $1200/month for a 1 bedroom, $1600/month for a 2 bedroom, $2000/month for a 3 bedroom, or $2500/month for 4 bedrooms or more (to be adjusted with inflation on an annual basis). The amount of the rebate is to be determined by a mathematical formula (based on existing property taxes AND suite size provided) with the maximum rebate being $2500 per year.

* Enforce and enhance regulations with respect to the provision of AirBnB suites within the City of Victoria.

* Review public engagement policies and practices to ensure that the city engages authentically and that the results of the engagement undertaken reflects the general will of the residents of the City of Victoria.

* Reduce the timelines associated with rezoning applications where there is broad public support for the rezoning and the rezoning aligns with the OCP.

* Look for opportunities to increase the amount and quality of green space within the City of Victoria.

* Support VicPD by providing adequate funding to implement a public safety strategy with a goal of reducing the CSI in Victoria over the next 4 years - ultimately the CSI of the core should not be more than 20% higher than the average CSI of adjoining municipalities (ie: Esquimalt, Oak Bay and Saanich - weighted average).

* Increase the fines for vandalism within the City of Victoria and develop a strategy to reduce the incidence of vandalism by working with the community and Vic PD. 

* Improve the resources and support for Victoria's bylaw department to ensure they can undertake their duties in a manner that meets the needs of residents - consider 24/7 service provision (ie: noise complaints, etc.).

* Consider free core transit services for City of Victoria residents to enable a "park and bus" experience downtown (ie. using the City of Victoria Resident Card for access).

* Consider pay to park secure bike parking in downtown Victoria in all City of Victoria parkades (lower rates for residents than other via the services card).

* Moratorium on the reduction of parking spaces in the City of Victoria - consider a strategic plan to provide more parkade parking options to enable less on street parking to ensure streets can function as best as possible (work with disability community to identify how less street parking can be compatible with maintaining accessibility).

On a different note: on twitter it appears that Shea Smith has declared his intent to run for council.  You may remember Shea from his Beacon Hill Park tent city days or the Homeless Idea Podcast.

• Daveyboy, grantpalin, Love the rock and 7 others like this

#926 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:39 AM

Thank you for this, Janice

#927 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:42 AM

Holy crap Janice. Don’t just settle for a council chair… aim for whole enchilada… and seek the mayor’s spot.

I have not met you yet but with a platform like the above I am all in if you go for the head chair.
  • Love the rock, Barrrister and Teardrop like this

#928 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:44 AM

I am going out on a limb here and suggest that the majority of common sense voters agree with your platform.

Make Victoria Great Again.
  • spanky123, Barrrister and Teardrop like this

#929 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:47 AM

I hope you decide to run, Janice.  It would be nice to have the option of voting for someone who is not a useless airhead.  You know my doubts about the chance of electoral success for a completely independent candidate.  However, given the number of empty slots this time there may be a possibility of slipping in.

A word of unsolicited advice:  keep it simple.  The average voter won’t be swayed by complex proposals about difficult issues.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

#930 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:23 PM

Edited by Taco, 07 July 2022 - 12:23 PM.

#931 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:12 PM

I am going out on a limb here and suggest that the majority of common sense voters agree with your platform.

Make Victoria Great Again.

Here's my working tagline "A Victoria That Works"... thoughts?

#932 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:16 PM

“Make Victoria Great Again”

Seriously though. I’m not sure your slogan is catchy enough.

How about “A Victoria that Victorians want”. That isn’t great because the term “Victorian” has other connotations.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2022 - 03:16 PM.

#933 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:17 PM

"A Victoria for Everyone" ?
  • todd and Seechelle1969 like this

#934 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:19 PM

“A better Victoria”
“A Vibrant Victoria”
“Reversing Lisa Helps’ destruction”
“Putting hard-working Victoria taxpayers first”
“Because last council sucked”
“We’ll get to the bottom of the BMO robbers”
“Dedicated to finding the Captain Cook destruction criminals - even though VicPD has the crime on video”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2022 - 03:21 PM.

• todd and max.bravo like this

#935 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:39 PM

I like it.  Everyone who has been awake for the last few years knows that it doesn’t work now and the tagline is an aspirational call for change.

• Daveyboy likes this

#936 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:27 PM

A vivid virile vehement Victoria

#937 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:14 PM

Maybe your logo could be something like two coloured J’s on an angle, with some translucent colouring where they overlap.. perhaps similar looking to a V, or a check mark.
  • Nparker likes this

#938 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2022 - 11:02 PM

Ms. Williams, I have to say I'm impressed: I don't think I've ever in my life seen a platform with that many detailed points on it and found myself in agreement with every one of them.  Well done!

Run on that platform and you've got my vote! :)

• Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#939 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 07:41 AM

That is offensive to those who choose not to work!

Edited by spanky123, 08 July 2022 - 07:41 AM.

• max.bravo likes this

#940 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 July 2022 - 08:02 AM

That is offensive to those who choose not to work!

"Working for a Victoria that Works" - note even those who do not work, contribute and when the city fails to work well, often those are the ones who are failed the most. Those who do not work rely the most on those who do - and often there are good reasons why they do not work and it does not boil down to "choice'. The true sponge/leech demographic: by all means be offended, many are offended by the lack of contribution made to our city by those who meet this definition.

• LJ and Sparky like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users