Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1161 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:45 PM

Even if the MMI thing passed, are enough people willing to sell their home to a developer to make this doable?

Or am I missing something? They are not forcing you to sell or vacate, are they?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1162 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:03 PM

When one of these start to be built next door you will be motivated to sell and if you get one each side of you and you lose your sun and sense of privacy that will be a real push. May not force you to sell but it will motivate you to sell especially as prices on your street start to drop. 

Edited by Barrrister, 29 July 2022 - 08:04 PM.

#1163 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 02:40 AM

When one of these start to be built next door you will be motivated to sell and if you get one each side of you and you lose your sun and sense of privacy that will be a real push. May not force you to sell but it will motivate you to sell especially as prices on your street start to drop. 

Except there is no guarantee prices drop.  This zoning makes your land more valuable.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1164 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 06:33 AM

Actually it is likely to make your land less valuable as more houses on the block are converted. The prospect of years of construction combined with higher density and on street parking is likely to reduce the value of your SFH since you will greatly reduce the prospective buyers who want a SFH.

Basically turning your street into a construction zone along with ending up with crap boxes does not increase the property value. I know the theory that increasing the zoning should increase the value of the land but that does not hold true when what is being built next door decreases your property value. Just look at the value of a SFH next door to a low rise condo. 

I expect all the developer pimps here will jump on me to deny it. 

#1165 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 06:37 AM

Actually it is likely to make your land less valuable as more houses on the block are converted. The prospect of years of construction combined with higher density and on street parking is likely to reduce the value of your SFH since you will greatly reduce the prospective buyers who want a SFH.

Basically turning your street into a construction zone along with ending up with crap boxes does not increase the property value. I know the theory that increasing the zoning should increase the value of the land but that does not hold true when what is being built next door decreases your property value. Just look at the value of a SFH next door to a low rise condo. 

I expect all the developer pimps here will jump on me to deny it. 

I think it's actually a bit hard to quantify.

#1166 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,242 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 07:20 AM

Less valuable but more expensive
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#1167 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 08:49 AM

A surprising number of my neighbours are seriously pissed at Andrew for the flip flop. I have to admit that I talked a lot of my neighbours into voting for him. personally I feel he has totally let us all down and that was the general view at a party last night in the neighborhood. A couple of people were pretty pissed.

This is why we end up with extremes in public office.  We complain about everything.  Finally decide to get involved and support someone.  Then we clutch our pearls and bemoan them for "betrayal" when some decision or process doesn't fit our narrow agenda and disengage- handing power back to those you complain about while thinking "Oh, I tried but...".  The thing is, you didn't try, you didn't do anything, you didn't really get involved, you got pissed about one thing and then decided to take your ball and go home, virtually guaranteeing that thing you want to complain about will come to pass.  But that's the rub isn't it, you just want to complain, you want to air your grievances, you want to shake your cane at the kids on the front yard and have people say "Yes, he's right, if only..." all the while not actually having to do anything, to contribute anything, to risk anything. 

Change, real change, takes years and takes work and takes money.  The extremist wins because their supporters don't care about where they land outside of a very narrow issue or two, and support them so long as they reman aligned on those narrow issues.  The moderate loses because their supporters require they align on everything, and abandon them if they become unaligned on just a few narrow issues.  It is easier to be an extremist because moderates don't care enough, are less engaged and more fickle with their support, and yet we are shocked when they get elected.  We get the leaders we deserve - looks like this fall may reinforce that maxim.

No, by allowing the issue to come forward now in the last days of the council and in (at last) summer when almost no one is concentrating on politics or has any real idea what this MMI is about.  It should have been deferred to the next council and handled in a cautious deliberate manner, including serious public engagement.

No one is ever concentrating on municipal politics, let's be clear about that.  No time of year is better than any other, it's always too hot, or too cold, or too covidy, kids are just getting into school, kids are just getting out of school, it's the end of the year, it's the beginning of the year, it's a holiday, it's a school break, it's tax season, it's whatever excuse I want to give for not being present this time, though it's probably not the same reason I wasn't present last time.  

• Mike K., LJ and Awaiting Juno like this

#1168 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 08:55 AM

No one is ever concentrating on municipal politics, let's be clear about that.  No time of year is better than any other, it's always too hot, or too cold, or too covidy, kids are just getting into school, kids are just getting out of school, it's the end of the year, it's the beginning of the year, it's a holiday, it's a school break, it's tax season, it's whatever excuse I want to give for not being present this time, though it's probably not the same reason I wasn't present last time.  

I think in this case the timing is more about getting this pushed through before the Mayor leaves then it is time of year. 

Whenever we have significant turnover in council one set of friends get replaced with another set of friends and many current initiatives wind up getting killed off.

If we are honest with ourselves, this initiative probably could have garnered more support had the Mayor taken a more even approach instead of trying to ram it down people's throats with a series of embellished and/or false narratives assuming that people were too stupid to question them.

Edited by spanky123, 30 July 2022 - 08:57 AM.

• Nparker, dasmo and JimV like this

#1169 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,242 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 10:26 AM

If I still lived in one of these neighborhoods I would be campaigning to get as many homes registered as heritage homes…. That’s a grassroots solution to this blanket up-zoning of our heritage communities. Sorry, not up-zoning. Updating single family zoning to include multiplexes.
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#1170 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 02:59 PM

This is not just a single issue regarding Andrew, and I appreciate that you are racing to defend him but simply attacking me as clutching my pearls does not change the fact that Andrew has failed to repeatedly support the moderate center. 

You could make the same argument why one should have continued to support Lisa Helps through all her decisions. 

Nice put word salad but you are just sounding manipulative. Actually it us the same type of bullying arguments we have gotten from the Helps camp for years.

#1171 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 03:19 PM

DavidL: Opposing the rezoning of the whole city is just a narrow agenda? Exactly what is your agenda then. This argument of yours is one that Lisa Helps has brought out time after time. 

I ignored other decisions by Andrew that I have not agreed but this is a critical issue and Andrew in my eye is clearly not someone that I can support.

DavidL. judging by your bullying tactics you should really consider a job as CoV PR or with some of the developers PR firms. 

#1172 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:36 PM

Even if the MMI thing passed, are enough people willing to sell their home to a developer to make this doable?

Or am I missing something? They are not forcing you to sell or vacate, are they?

When selling do you care *who* you sell to or do you just take the highest offer with the fewest conditions? Very few stories of people selling to a particular buyer because of *who* they were, it happens, but not often. Note: with land lift, some might feel more forced to sell or vacate as the tax burden becomes more than they are willing to endure.

• dasmo and Barrrister like this

#1173 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,242 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 01:05 PM

When selling do you care *who* you sell to or do you just take the highest offer with the fewest conditions? Very few stories of people selling to a particular buyer because of *who* they were, it happens, but not often. Note: with land lift, some might feel more forced to sell or vacate as the tax burden becomes more than they are willing to endure.

Funny you should mention that....

" If market incentives are needed to expand the range of re-developable sites, then a revised tax system based on land values offers the best answer...

No amount of government coercion through land use regulations or zoning policies will result in property owners doing what is not in their economic interest. The housing crisis will only ease when local governments take a larger share of its revenue from land value and a smaller share from capital investment in structures (assessed as improvement value).

https://commonground...middle-housing/

#1174 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 02:35 PM

did you all get your submissions in for public hearing?

#1175 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:20 PM

What if I don't want to sell at all and just continue to live in the house. I'll defer taxes.

• Awaiting Juno likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1176 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:24 PM

Susan Kim announced today that she's running for Council: https://www.susankim.ca/

From the website:

Susan Kim (김수잔) is a trilingual Korean-Canadian settler with a decade of experience working on the front-lines of community-led, social-justice oriented organizations across Canada. 

She is the current Director of Operations for the Fernwood Neighborhood Resource Group and volunteers with local environmental and cultural groups such as the Sierra Club of BC and the Victoria Korean Women’s Association.

She's also a constituency assistant for Laurel Collins: http://www.goc411.ca...22704/Susan-Kim

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 03 August 2022 - 12:24 PM.

• MakeVicGreatAgain likes this

#1177 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:30 PM

What a loon.

If she feels she’s a settler she should look into going to Korea permanently. North or South, I’m open to either.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 August 2022 - 12:31 PM.

#1178 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:38 PM

Another non-starter candidate.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1179 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:16 PM

^ You can say that, but I am certain she will get elected.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#1180 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:59 PM

Her web page says she has a plan

Susan Kim has a plan for building affordable homes, protecting renters, and promoting smart and strategic densification.

Here is her plan

Susan will push to stop corporate profiteering on Victoria housing and lead the city to adopt smart housing solutions
  • Victoria Watcher and MakeVicGreatAgain like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users