Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1181 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:07 PM

More on her settler stance:

We acknowledge that this campaign is organized on the unceded and occupied Indigenous territories of the Lək̓ʷəŋən peoplesthe Songhees and Esquimalt Nations. We recognize that settler governments continue to contribute to colonization. We seek to honour and support Indigenous rights and sovereignty as we work to bring all of our communities together.

That ought to "bring all of our communities together".

#1182 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:12 PM

She clearly offers nothing new. An utterly pointless candidate.
  • mbjj, Barrrister and MakeVicGreatAgain like this

#1183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:13 PM

I do like that she has and lists her team.

https://www.susankim.ca/our_team

#1184 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:14 PM

The only First Nations into that stuff are the ones that want the power it gives. This is not the majority. 

Also I would be in favour of dissolving all our settler governments right now and holding fresh new elections without any existing settler parties or settler politicians allowed in the race. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1185 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:40 PM

"right" "left" is BS to me but the pendulum wants to swing right eventually....

The “NDP have done a masterful job of setting up a structure so the voice of entrepreneurs, hard workers, or dreamers have become mute,” his letter said, passing laws “making it difficult for any party not supported by unions to succeed.”

The current system discourages business-savvy candidates from running, Wilson’s letter says, adding “the right-leaning taxpayer has little chance of being heard from again.”

https://www.msn.com/...romMaestro=true

"If you believe in free markets, smaller government, in protecting our environment and growing our economy – we encourage you to follow and support the Pacific Prosperity Network."

https://pacificprosp...a/get-involved/

• Nparker likes this

#1186 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:56 PM

"right" "left" is BS to me but the pendulum wants to swing right eventually....

The “NDP have done a masterful job of setting up a structure so the voice of entrepreneurs, hard workers, or dreamers have become mute,” his letter said, passing laws “making it difficult for any party not supported by unions to succeed.”

The current system discourages business-savvy candidates from running, Wilson’s letter says, adding “the right-leaning taxpayer has little chance of being heard from again.”

https://www.msn.com/...romMaestro=true

"If you believe in free markets, smaller government, in protecting our environment and growing our economy – we encourage you to follow and support the Pacific Prosperity Network."

https://pacificprosp...a/get-involved/

It hasn't helped that successive right wing governments that say they are for "small government" have not actually made good on that promise.

Remember this from the BC Liberals:

B.C. is a leader in reducing red tape. In 2017, the Province won the national Golden Scissors Award from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business for creating Red Tape Reduction Day. B.C. is one of only two provinces to ever receive an “A” grade for cutting red tape and B.C. has received this recognition for the past six years.

https://news.gov.bc....200 suggestions.

Aside from putting stuff online (that was likely bound to happen anyway from 2001 to 2017) I'm not sure there is any less red tape for most businesses or consumers today.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 August 2022 - 02:59 PM.

#1187 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 07:02 PM

Her web page says she has a plan

Susan Kim has a plan for building affordable homes, protecting renters, and promoting smart and strategic densification.

Here is her plan

Susan will push to stop corporate profiteering on Victoria housing and lead the city to adopt smart housing solutions

Wow, that is a brilliant plan!  I’m having trouble absorbing it in one sitting though.  Can I get a printed copy so I can study and consider it at my leisure?

• Daveyboy and Barrrister like this

#1188 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:44 AM

Interesting that Susan has chosen to omit her experience as a Together Victoria board member on her bio page. One would have thought this relevant political experience would have been beneficial to highlight for the electorate. 

• Nparker, AndrewReeve and Kungsberg like this

#1189 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 01:41 PM

Herd this morning that Gary Beyer, manager (owner?) of Tesseract announced he is running for council in October.  I haven’t seen anything in the media yet but I’m mildly encouraged since he is not Potts, Issit, Caradonna, Kim, Dell or what’s her name.  Of course it would be pretty shocking to have someone on council with actual business experience.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#1190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:42 PM

Herd this morning that Gary Beyer, manager (owner?) of Tesseract announced he is running for council in October. I haven’t seen anything in the media yet but I’m mildly encouraged since he is not Potts, Issit, Caradonna, Kim, Dell or what’s her name. Of course it would be pretty shocking to have someone on council with actual business experience.

8818990F-FFBE-43B9-8015-F46C7B7F4B43.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#1191 MakeVicGreatAgain

MakeVicGreatAgain
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:11 AM

So here's an interesting update.

I remember when Susan Kim launched and her website was up it showed her campaign team. I took Susan and the name of one of her organizers Andrew Kerr and did an Elections BC Financial Disclosure search. Both have donated exclusively to Together Victoria.

Now VERY interestingly today I go back to her website to look up the rest, and suddenly that page is gone (unless it's hiding somewhere and I've missed it).

Filings are here: https://contribution...teTo=&DateFrom= and here https://contribution...teTo=&DateFrom=

#1192 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:14 AM

Now VERY interestingly today I go back to her website to look up the rest, and suddenly that page is gone (unless it's hiding somewhere and I've missed it).

https://www.susankim.ca/our_team

Campaign Catalysts

Andrew Kerr (He/Him) - Financial Agent 

Asad Chishti (He/Him) - Fundraising Coordinator 

Cortney Baldwin (She/Her/They/Them) - Volunteer Coordinator

Dana Holtby (They/Them) - Campaign Manager

JJ Ford (She/Her) - Campaign Advisor 

Philip Cox (He/Him/They/Them) - Communications Director 

Change makers 

Avery Fitzgerald (She/Her) - Sunshine Committee Co-Coordinator 

Jesse Robertson (He/Him) - Social Media Coordinator 

Mayumi Comley (She/Her) - Communications Coordinator 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 August 2022 - 07:14 AM.

#1193 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:44 AM

Any candidate - or member of their team - who feels the need to use "identifying" pronouns will never get my vote.

#1194 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:45 AM

Also, WTF is the role of a sunshine committee coordinator?

#1195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

Also, WTF is the role of a sunshine committee coordinator?

Social event coordinator.  Just another name.

#1196 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:49 AM

Just one more reason not to support this candidate.
  • mbjj, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#1197 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:33 PM

Any candidate - or member of their team - who feels the need to use "identifying" pronouns will never get my vote.

Dasmo (we/one)
  • Nparker likes this

#1198 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:59 PM

LJ (your Highness/your Majesty)

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1199 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:20 PM

^ Your Funny. :)

#1200 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 August 2022 - 08:40 AM

Missing Middle (and alternative approaches) need to be a campaign issue (but is far from the only issue).

Public safety and how we approach working with VicPD and others to foster it needs to be a campaign issue. 

Clover Point, Beacon Hill Park, and Richardson need to be a campaign issue.

Governance, focus on core services and rebuilding trust, needs to be a campaign issue.

Public amenities (or lack there of), needs to be a campaign issue.

Accessibility and working to improve it, needs to be a campaign issue.

Be wary of any candidate unable to speak broadly on all of these issues - as we really will need a group that is able to move forward in the years to come if our city is to take steps in a more functional direction.

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users