Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1221 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,337 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 01:17 PM

2018:

6066B319-C123-4E9B-8A8B-055B974DBAA1.jpeg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2022 - 01:18 PM.

#1222 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:28 AM

Marg's clever. She got an op-ed in today's TC, about how the City needs a ward system (which would certainly favour her election!), before it's become widely known that she's running: https://www.timescol...-system-5688767. I'm not sure the TC would've given her that space if she was a declared candidate.

#1223 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:36 AM

^ You are correct. She gets the space to outline her own political agenda without ever discussing how the topic of her opinion piece would make a difference!

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#1224 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:44 AM

If I take the 2018 results and remove those not running in 2022:

screenshot-vibrantvictoria.ca-2022.08.12-08_40_54.png

I guess I should have removed Grace Lore too.

So move everyone after #5 up a notch.

Clearly it's time for Pam Madoff to make a triumphant return.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2022 - 04:46 AM.

• Bernard and AndrewReeve like this

#1225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 05:53 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.08.12-09_52_16.png

#1226 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 06:45 AM

I would suggest that someone should propose that the city provide free client space and support staff paid by the city for GPs that would serve residents of Victoria. In effect that would attract new GPs to Victoria by effectively paying them more by substantially reducing their overhead costs. New high rise condos could be required to have ground floor office space for medical clinics as part of their community transfer.

How many people here would vote for that if it meant you had a really good chance of getting a GP who had time to actually see you?

#1227 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 06:56 AM

I'd have to see what else this sort of candidate stands for. If they were otherwise the typical SJW/woke type that runs for public office in Victoria, they wouldn't get my vote.

#1228 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:02 AM

I would suggest that someone should propose that the city provide free client space and support staff paid by the city for GPs that would serve residents of Victoria. In effect that would attract new GPs to Victoria by effectively paying them more by substantially reducing their overhead costs. New high rise condos could be required to have ground floor office space for medical clinics as part of their community transfer.

How many people here would vote for that if it meant you had a really good chance of getting a GP who had time to actually see you?

It’s not a City responsibility. Your local tax dollars should not pay for that. The City does not need to supply housing or facilities for plumbers or lawyers or dentists or tea rooms to attract them. Free doctors from the fixed rates and let the market work it out like it does for everything else.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2022 - 07:04 AM.

#1229 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:04 AM

I agree but I cannot see any of the Woke coming up with a common sense proposal like this that would actually benefit all of the citizens of Victoria. The economic reality is that it is more expensive for a GP to have an off in Victoria than say Mill Bay because of overhead costs and yet the province pays (or underpays them) the same.

#1230 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:06 AM

Not a city responsibility? Wow, VicWatcher, never stopped all the other Woke ideas and programs before. 

#1231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:08 AM

I agree but I cannot see any of the Woke coming up with a common sense proposal like this that would actually benefit all of the citizens of Victoria. The economic reality is that it is more expensive for a GP to have an off in Victoria than say Mill Bay because of overhead costs and yet the province pays (or underpays them) the same.

Check the other expensive Canadian cities for doctor shortages. It might just be a BC problem.

#1232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:10 AM

Not a city responsibility? Wow, VicWatcher, never stopped all the other Woke ideas and programs before.

Do we want municipal politicians to stay in their lane, or not?

Maybe they should work at lowering property taxes, so that commercial operators have a little more breathing room.
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1233 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:12 AM

Waiting for our glorious provincial government to solve the GP shortage might be a literal death sentence for some people. The city should do all it can in this area as soon as possible. While I have a GP so many of my neighbours dont and it is an absolute disgrace.

#1234 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:16 AM

I haven't had my own GP in 7 years, but I still think this issue needs to be addressed by the province and the feds.

#1235 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:16 AM

The city has not been in its lane for years and the game has simply changed. Having some sensible common sense people running on this platform would be a game changer in my opinion for this election. 

#1236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:17 AM

So now you’re advocating for municipal politicians to get out of their lane?

It’s none of their business, and they don’t have the tools, authority or wherewithal to do or not do material things. It’s a provincial and federal matter. If you want action, writing Grace Lore (MLA) and Laurel Collins (MP) is what you’d want to do.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1237 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:19 AM

Grace Lore’s office can be converted to a clinic. We are paying for it to sit empty already.
  • Nparker, spanky123, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#1238 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:20 AM

The city politicians are out of their lane all the time and this proposal is perhaps more in their lane than half their woke projects. 

#1239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:24 AM

That’s why most of them are leaving. They veered too far into someone else’s business and cost taxpayers money.

Remember when the City got sued, and lost, over plastic bags? That sort of stuff is bad for the taxpayer.

Know it all.

#1240 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:30 AM

Nobody is going to sue if the city provides Medical clinic space. Let the citizens of Victoria decide if they want to pay a little more to have GPs but a lot of the cost could be shouldered by the developers who want extra density.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users