Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1261 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:19 AM

That’s six of nine out. One of the remaining three is giving it a go for mayor, another is awaiting other opportunities.

Looking at the current group of candidates, if there is a wholesale exodus then we will be replacing a clowncil with a dysfunctional clowncil. Even if we accept that either Alto or Andrew would do a reasonable job and that there are a couple of responsible people running for council, that would still leave us with at least 5-6 UVIC sociology/polysci drones running things and it wouldn't really matter who else is elected.  

#1262 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:22 AM

It would be an unprecedented cleaning of house, absolutely.

More than ever capable staff will be extra crucial, and I would not be surprised if some of the brighter lights there are already planning to jump after this term.

I’m still befuddled by Fraser Work’s exodus at the beginning of this term. What did he know? Was it just coincidence?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1263 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:25 AM

^ There were several senior staff that left. Some people will tell you they jumped, others will say that they were pushed.

• Mike K. likes this

#1264 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:38 AM

...Dubow, Potts, T-J, Helps, Loveday and it’s looking more likely like Young, are done...

Do we really know that Potts and Loveday aren't re-electable? Have they announced they are not running?

#1265 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:39 AM

Although I'm strictly opposed, wouldn't it be easier to just drop the property tax on any portion of a building used for doctors offices/clinics?  That could be done city-wide and within months.  Then it's also fair to all practitioners, not the chosen ones for a new office.

That does not really mean building owners would reduce rents though.  We have many City owned buildings with rooms available...

#1266 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

That does not really mean building owners would reduce rents though.  We have many City owned buildings with rooms available...

In most cases property tax is a pass through cost on commercial leases. If the taxes were dropped in those cases then they wouldn't be charged. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1267 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

We have hospitals for this purpose. Jubilee can create a mega clinic at its campus. There is no need for another layer of government to get involved here. They (VIHA) already operate various facilities.

The issue is not going to go away with bandaid solutions. We are facing a years-long catastrophe in the making that began in the 90s.

That should happen too, but clinics around the City is better for the populace...  Hospital isn't always easy access but there should be a non-emerg walk-in there as well..  Would help emerg lines too...

#1268 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:43 AM

In most cases property tax is a pass through cost on commercial leases. If the taxes were dropped in those cases then they wouldn't be charged. 

Yes it is in all cases however, commercial landlords increase rents, not always based on property taxes but on ability to rent as well.. Plus higher rent increases paper value of property.. So if their taxes go down, they do not really want that to show on their lease amounts either, value goes down.

Plus a reduction for these properties would increase taxes all around, though not significantly..  Using unused City rooms wouldn't...

Edited by Ismo07, 12 August 2022 - 10:46 AM.

#1269 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:53 AM

It’s a separate line item in the overwhelming amount of leases, which are called NNN leases.

The tenant pays the property tax as a separate line item in their lease. Removing that line item would absolve the tenant from paying it. Landlords would not just raise the lease rate, which is a separate line item, and a reflection of the local market rates. Property taxes are not tethered to lease rates nor impact lease rates beyond some marginal amount more-so psychological than market driven.
  • Matt R., Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1270 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:54 AM

It’s a separate line item in the overwhelming amount of leases, which are called NNN leases.

The tenant pays the property tax as a separate line item in their lease. Removing that line item would absolve the tenant from paying it. Landlords would not just raise the lease rate, which is a separate line item, and a reflection of the local market rates. Property taxes are not tethered to lease rates nor impact lease rates beyond some marginal amount more-so psychological than market driven.

Ah I see....

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:56 AM

Now on the flip side, when you rent an apartment it’s all lumped in.

That’s one of the reasons why some people say splitting out the rent from the taxes the landlord charges on behalf of the municipality might make renters more keen to get involved in municipal affairs, if they realized $300/month goes to pay property tax.
  • Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

Know it all.

#1272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:59 AM

That does not really mean building owners would reduce rents though. We have many City owned buildings with rooms available...

Interesting.

Can you dig up some vacancy stats for us?

Know it all.

#1273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 11:00 AM

Do we really know that Potts and Loveday aren't re-electable? Have they announced they are not running?

It’s more a factor of not actively campaigning. If they intend to run, they haven’t yet decided and are no doubt looking at other opportunities. I’d place them both into the 75% not running camp. Dubow it is speculated will be moving out of Victoria.

I think Loveday knows living in Esquimalt works against him, and Potts is not happy with council pay.

Know it all.

#1274 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 11:04 AM

Interesting.

Can you dig up some vacancy stats for us?

Not really, I just have been in the Crystal Pool and some community centres as well as a few store fronts that could be used.  City Hall has a whole 3rd floor that is an relatively unused space..  New Fire Hall being built potentially has space or at least may have been designed so if we talked about this a couple years ago...  

#1275 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 11:10 AM

Not really, I just have been in the Crystal Pool and some community centres as well as a few store fronts that could be used. City Hall has a whole 3rd floor that is an relatively unused space.. New Fire Hall being built potentially has space or at least may have been designed so if we talked about this a couple years ago...

Not to mention an entire conference centre expansion at CG that has basically been empty since it was reno’d

#1276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 11:19 AM

And Tourism Vic wants it expanded.

There’s also something to be said about the City being a landlord. It shouldn’t be in that realm at all, competing with its own taxpayers. It should absolve itself of any commercial leasing responsibilities and strata-title individual units for market sale if they are to be leased by the private sector, or sell the holdings.

Know it all.

#1277 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 August 2022 - 12:12 PM

Really pleased to see Marg throw her hat in, and it's looking like there's reasonable opportunity to elect a balanced council. I'd still like to see a few more hats thrown in - but it looks much better this week than it did two weeks ago. 

I'd like to encourage those who would like to be on my email list to please email me at my campaign account: willvotewilliams (AT) gmail (dot) com - if you can include your physical address as well, that would be helpful. 

If you have an event you'd like me to attend or would otherwise like to touch base, I'm happy to do so.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1278 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 12:39 PM

I might be persuaded to support Marg if she promises not to spend the next 4 years trying to kill the local cruise ship industry.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#1279 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2022 - 12:43 PM

Marg's endorsement by Shellie Gudgeon totally seals the deal for me  :whyme:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1280 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 12:47 PM

Alas, Shellie Gudgeon would now be a breath of fresh air on council. That's how bad things have become.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users