Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1301 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:01 AM

With the exception of Stephen Andrew nobody else is really doing anything at the moment to market themselves. With such a large potential turnover in politicians, it makes sense to save your money for what will no doubt be an expensive and highly active campaign in the last month.

I think that much of the positioning at the moment is not so much about who else is running but who else is going to back you. 

#1302 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:19 AM

It depends where you look, I guess. Janice Williams is very active, and getting a ton of free mileage from Housing Twitter despising every facet of her platform, and Matt Dell is definitely active on Twitter, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:21 AM

Oh my.

Someone has created a @BlockedAtAryze Twitter account.
  • Nparker, sebberry, Matt R. and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1304 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:20 AM

It depends where you look, I guess. Janice Williams is very active, and getting a ton of free mileage from Housing Twitter despising every facet of her platform, and Matt Dell is definitely active on Twitter, too.

True, what I was getting at was door knocking and doing the meeting roadshow.

#1305 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:41 AM

Curious to see when the freedom candidates come forward and if they will get coverage. I know they are coming. I don’t know who they are. I give some a chance Duncan North but Victoria?

#1306 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:42 AM

True, what I was getting at was door knocking and doing the meeting roadshow.

The only local politician to ever knock on my door was Ben. Almost voted for him because of that. Almost….

#1307 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:48 AM

I don't ever need to meet a politician face-to-face. If I approve of their platform and/or performance they will get my support.

#1308 IPH

IPH
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

Hamond and Alto have already knocked on my door.  One will get my vote and one definitely wont!

• Nparker likes this

#1309 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

I don't ever need to meet a politician face-to-face. If I approve of their platform and/or performance they will get my support.

You are missing out. Anyone can publish a platform that is based on whatever their pollsters are telling them. When you start talking to them face to face you quickly determine whether they have any intention of carrying out that platform based on how they respond to your questions. 

• sebberry likes this

#1310 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 09:45 AM

In the almost 24 years I have lived in my strata, no political candidate has ever come-a-knockin.

#1311 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 August 2022 - 01:13 PM

^ access to stratas is part of the problem there. Not so simple as knocking on the door of a SFH.

#1312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 01:20 PM

Agreed. Have always felt I was able to learn what I need to know about candidates without the schmoozing.

#1313 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:31 PM

If I take the 2018 results and remove those not running in 2022:

attachicon.gif screenshot-vibrantvictoria.ca-2022.08.12-08_40_54.png

I guess I should have removed Grace Lore too.

So move everyone after #5 up a notch.

Clearly it's time for Pam Madoff to make a triumphant return.

Now THAT would've actually been a nicely-balanced council table.

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#1314 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:43 PM

Now THAT would've actually been a nicely-balanced council table.

Hey Andrew Reeve, are you running this time?

• Mike K. likes this

#1315 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:00 AM

Stephen Andrew is backing Esquimalt’s decision to break away from VicPD:

The following is a statement from Stephen Andrew, City of Victoria Councillor and mayoral candidate, on the Town of Esquimalt’s decision to not renew its police service agreement with the City of Victoria:

“I respect Esquimalt Council’s decision. The current situation is problematic and does not serve the needs of policing throughout the region, especially Victoria.”

“I always advocated for a standalone police service, or a regional model, for Victoria. We are a city of 90,000 people in 19 sq km, but because support services are centralized in the city, we wind up bearing the cost of residents coming downtown for support. We carry an undue burden of policing the issues and challenges of the region. It must end.”

“The decision of any policing model is the jurisdiction of the provincial government; it makes the final call, as it did in 2003 when it ordered the amalgamation of the Esquimalt and Victoria police departments.”

“This decision is no reflection on the invaluable service provided by the members of the Victoria Police Department.”

“While we wait for a decision from the province, I continue to advocate for solutions that make sense for Victoria residents and taxpayers. I continue to work for collaborative solutions to enable the 400,000-people strong capital region to mitigate our unique challenges effectively and efficiently.”

Know it all.

#1316 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:35 AM

^ Interesting. I don't think that a stand-alone police force for Victoria is the direction most people are wanting. 

#1317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:40 AM

Unless resources actually were being pulled into Esquimalt more than may meet the eye. VicPD is a very expensive force, and that expense was shared by Esquimalt. So we could, theoretically, be seeing two diverging issues where Esquimalt was paying way too much per resident, but VicPD was serving Esquimalt at a higher cost than Esquimalt was paying.

Know it all.

#1318 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:11 AM

^ Interesting. I don't think that a stand-alone police force for Victoria is the direction most people are wanting.

From an operational point - it is important to consider the following.

Under the Framework Agreement, when the Police Board presents a budget, both municipalities have to agree.

As in the case of this year, the budget was for an increase in 6 officers, 4 civilians. This is what the board called “a bare bones budget”.

Victoria council approved and Esquimalt didn’t.

The next step under the agreement is arbitration. That’s 18 months where we don’t have the necessary positions and VicPD struggles through. It’s untenable.

My position is, a stand alone department gives us freedoms to adjust policing for Victoria without influence from a minor contributor.

Is it ideal? No. But it is more practical that what we have at present.

I’d prefer a regional model. Without that, I want more autonomy for our Chief to get the resources he needs.

That Esqumalt doesn’t want positions that are needed to run an efficient department, I can’t comment.

But I do know that policing is more complex that cars patrolling streets and having a police station open so people can drop by.

There are departments that collect and analyze data for intelligence-based policing, crime prevention, investigations, targeted policing, and so on.

No one in their right mind would set up 5-6 police departments in a region such as the CRD in today’s environment.

We need collaboration, we need more effective policing, and we need policing that responds regionally.

As long as we fight to maintain isolation, we may never meet the challenges we all face.

But, as I stated, given the alternative, I opt for a stand alone department until we all come to our senses. It’s the best we can do for Victoria.
  • Mike K. and JimV like this

#1319 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:21 AM

Hi - I've been engaging on twitter, but it's a tool. What you don't see is that those who reach out to me and ask they meet with me, are met with. If I get an invite to a group, I will attend. Recently, I went on an environmental cruise ship tour (interesting as I hadn't ever been on a cruise ship before) - candidates also there, Stephen Andrew, Krista Loughton, Matt Dell. Also went to a SeeSpring meeting (round table portion) - and also there Grace Lore, Susan Kim, Krista Loughton, Stephen Andrew. Most days of the week I have one or two meetings with constituents. In addition, I'm actively responding to emails, working on the web page, responding to media requests, creating ad copy, gathering nomination signatures - and in the gaps: on twitter. What is seen is maybe 20% of what is happening.

For what it's worth - twitter is both a sewer and a goldmine. I can reach people on twitter that I might not otherwise be able to connect with. In the 6 weeks since I started the campaign account, it has had more than 400,000 impressions. For a cost of $0. I really do not like the harassment there, however, there is also a lot of support there. On that end: for the candidates you support, please conduct yourselves in positive ways as the behaviour of supporters tends to reflect on the candidates they support. So if you're being awful - sadly, you're making the job of the candidate who you support that much harder. Instead - elevate the positive, call out bad behaviors and spread the word about who you support and why. Refrain from harassing others and treating other candidates in ways you wouldn't want to see your own candidate treated. 

At any rate - if you're interested in my campaign or would like to support me, follow me on twitter (@voteYYJWilliams), or find us on facebook, or check out my webpage (www.willvotewilliams.ca). If you have a group that wants to meet me - send me a request to meet. I'm trying to be as reasonably accessible as possible. On a separate note - our campaign is now able to accept donations. To donate you must be *A BC resident * A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident - also note I will note be accepting ANY anonymous donations to my campaign, there will be a page on my website updated weekly with the names of supporters and the total amount raised by the campaign to date (individual donation amounts will not be public, except as required by Elections BC), and the amount spent on campaign expenses. If you have a special talent you'd like to contribute (ie: photography, graphic design, etc.) - let me know, volunteers can often make the difference to a campaign.

For those here who have already reached out: thank you. Your support means a lot to me.

• Mike K., Nparker, lanforod and 1 other like this

#1320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:43 AM

...No one in their right mind would set up 5-6 police departments in a region such as the CRD in today’s environment...

Would anyone set up 13 separate municipalities in our region today?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users