Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1321 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:01 AM

Would anyone set up 13 separate municipalities in our region today?

I would have more. Makes it more difficult to push us all around at once.

#1322 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,844 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:12 AM

Probably not. But cities tend to grow from much earlier roots quite different than today.

Recently Duncan (population 5,000) has an opportunity to just merge with Cowichan. Somehow it failed.

Roughly 59 per cent of residents in North Cowichan voted for the amalgamation while 68 per cent of people in Duncan voted against it.

The size difference between the two municipalities may have played a role in the outcome, Lefebure said.

While the District of North Cowichan has about 30,000 residents and is 195 square kilometres in size, the City of Duncan has a population of 5,000 and is two square kilometres in size.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4721943

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 11:14 AM.

#1323 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:16 AM

At any rate - if you're interested in my campaign or would like to support me, follow me on twitter (@voteYYJWilliams), or find us on facebook, or check out my webpage (www.willvotewilliams.ca). If you have a group that wants to meet me - send me a request to meet. I'm trying to be as reasonably accessible as possible. On a separate note - our campaign is now able to accept donations. To donate you must be *A BC resident * A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident - also note I will note be accepting ANY anonymous donations to my campaign, there will be a page on my website updated weekly with the names of supporters and the total amount raised by the campaign to date (individual donation amounts will not be public, except as required by Elections BC), and the amount spent on campaign expenses. If you have a special talent you'd like to contribute (ie: photography, graphic design, etc.) - let me know, volunteers can often make the difference to a campaign.

For those here who have already reached out: thank you. Your support means a lot to me.

Thanks Janice. Glad to see you are committed to fundraising transparency. A couple of other candidates have stated that they would keep updated fundraising information available as well. 

I expect that we will see at least a couple of candidates who raise and spend well in excess of $100K this cycle. Usually that money comes with expectations and I appreciate knowing what those expectations might be (based on who is supporting the candidate and the amounts) before I vote as opposed to 90 days later.

Edited by spanky123, 17 August 2022 - 01:07 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1324 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,844 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:17 AM

^ that’s wildly above the total they are allowed to spend. New rules came in some time ago.

https://elections.bc...expense-limits/

8404AB38-3F44-48B6-97DE-266A65FDD3D7.jpeg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 11:20 AM.

#1325 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:18 AM

Hyper localization is the future. It's the only way to push back against the globalization in our local politics. 

#1326 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:21 AM

Hyper localization is the future. It's the only way to push back against the globalization in our local politics. 

I guess I should start negotiations with the 2 condos adjacent to mine to create some political leverage now.

#1327 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:34 AM

I guess I should start negotiations with the 2 condos adjacent to mine to create some political leverage now.

That's how it's done. This is why the Highlands incorporated. They didn't want to be absorbed by Langford. Not sure how you do it if you are already under the jurisdiction of a gang though. I guess start with a community association.  

This is a picture of Stew Young when he was first elected in 1993....

BILL-THE-BUTCHER.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#1328 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:53 PM

^ that’s wildly above the total they are allowed to spend. New rules came in some time ago.

Campaign limits only impact what you can spend during the month before the election. You can spend an unlimited amount outside of that.

As an example, Lisa Helps spent $109K last cycle.

100139568.pdf (gov.bc.ca)

#1329 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,844 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:55 PM

True, but:

During this period advertisers must be registered with Elections BC and include an authorization statement in their advertising. These rules are in place to improve transparency and inform voters as to who is sponsoring election advertising and how much they are spending. Advertising spending limits will still only apply during the campaign period, which starts 29 days before election day.

https://elections.bc...ocal-elections/

I think “experts” will tell you the last 29 days is exponentially more effective for traditional advertising than further out. But indeed they could spend big money now to gain more social followers and elector data.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 12:57 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1330 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:04 PM

I think you will find that 'advertising' for the most part will be non traditional (ie twitter, facebook, online media, etc) which fall outside of the rules. 

I credit Janice for disavowing the anonymous donations. I think that is a major loophole that some candidates use to raise a large chunk of their funds and circumvent the intent of campaign financing rules.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#1331 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,844 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:09 PM

Aren’t anonymous donors limited to $99?

This also allow some people to donate that don’t want to be “outed” as right wing.

#1332 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:16 PM

Aren’t anonymous donors limited to $99?

This also allow some people to donate that don’t want to be “outed” as right wing.

Yep but a bot can create a whole lot of $99 donations in fairly short order. According to Elections BC, it is not up to the candidate to validate anonymous donations, it is up to the anonymous donor to make sure that they follow the rules!

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:37 PM

...This is a picture of Stew Young when he was first elected in 1993....

You mean 1893 - right?

#1334 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:48 PM

You mean 1893 - right?

Shoot has he been mayor for that long? 

• Nparker likes this

#1335 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:52 PM

I just found some old archival footage of his first election! https://youtu.be/dg8E6AEeVtI

• Nparker likes this

#1336 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,456 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:14 AM

I'm hearing from sources that Young is out. He is expected to make a formal announcement soon.

It looks like Isitt may end up being the only councillor to seek re-election, while Andrew and Alto pursue the mayor's seat.

We've never seen such a clearing of the slate as now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1337 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:15 AM

...It looks like Isitt may end up being the only councillor to seek re-election...

Saving the worst for last.

#1338 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:30 AM

I hope he runs for mayor... and Andrew wins.  :thumbsup:

#1339 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:35 AM

I'm hearing from sources that Young is out. He is expected to make a formal announcement soon.

It looks like Isitt may end up being the only councillor to seek re-election, while Andrew and Alto pursue the mayor's seat.

We've never seen such a clearing of the slate as now.

And the reality is that we will likely be clearing the slate next election as well. I give credit to anyone who stands for any elected position but anyone who has an altruistic motivation is quickly beating down by the abuse and workload expected of them for chump change. I know a number of candidates want to try and shorten meetings and focus on a narrower list of priorities but there is not much you can do in a democratic system when you have 2-3 council members who constantly insert motions and make amendments to the ones on the floor.

My biggest concern is that we get opposing forces on council that just battle each other and use the proposed 'integrity commissioner' as a blunt instrument to beat up on their opponents. We get nothing done and are even more dysfunctional than we are now.

Edited by spanky123, 18 August 2022 - 10:37 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1340 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,844 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

I think the workload is overrated. It can still be done as a part time job.
  • dasmo and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users