Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1361 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:10 PM

A caller on Stirling today criticized SA for not clearly revealing his position on Clover Point. Fair comment I think. Being vague about issues people care about leaves voters with an uneasy, suspicious feeling. Same applies to the other candidates.

Here’s a question posed to me and other candidates earlier this month on Twitter from David Willows

“Question for candidates: where do you stand on reopening Arbutus Rd and the parking lot in BHP & Clover Point for ♿️? “

My answer:

“Thanks for asking Dave.

I'm not on Twitter much these days as I'm busy out knocking on doors, hosting various events, and meeting with folks.

Short and sweet: I fully support re-opening”

Not sure I can be any clearer.

Anyone can reach me directly and ask a question or call 250-412-8888

Thank you

Stephen

#1362 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 04:30 AM

Here’s a question posed to me and other candidates earlier this month on Twitter from David Willows

“Question for candidates: where do you stand on reopening Arbutus Rd and the parking lot in BHP & Clover Point for ♿️? “

My answer:

“Thanks for asking Dave.

I'm not on Twitter much these days as I'm busy out knocking on doors, hosting various events, and meeting with folks.

Thank you

Stephen

Yes, open both back up! As someone who experienced a period of limited mobility, I totally get that these were ableist decisions. 

• mbjj likes this

#1363 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 08:17 AM

My answer:

“Thanks for asking Dave.

Thank you

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen. With respect, I think you could be a little clearer.  Does reopening Clover Point mean returning it to the way it was, i.e.  parking all around the loop, no new bicycle path, removing the useless furniture, no tricky schemes for changing the access pattern for part of the year?

Regarding contacting you, I tend to avoid direct enquires to candidates for two reasons:

Candidates’ time is limited during a campaign.  Replies tend to be off the cuff and brief.

More importantly, I prefer to have positions on issues of general public concern stated publicly so that the successful candidates can be held to account later.

• dasmo, Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

#1364 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,994 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 12:52 PM

The voice of reason is leaving Victoria council

Victoria residents should be very alarmed. The mass exodus of mayor and council incumbents smacks of them not wanting to face the music of civic mismanagement.

With Geoff Young opting out of this election, Victorians are losing the voice of reason in City Hall. As an economist, he has had a front-row seat in the diabolical decisions of the outgoing council, and has expressed his views on many occasions.

With a group such as Together Victoria, Geoff has expressed his frustration that public consultation and debates were useless if the decisions were already made by this slate of councillors.

Victoria is going to see the effects of developers and corporate might forever, and the outgoing civic politicians will push through the Missing Middle Housing project before this election. With that being said, we will lose heritage buildings in heritage neighbourhoods such as James Bay, etc.

Therefore, as someone who loves Victoria, we should have an entire cleaning out of City Hall on Oct. 15. I will only vote for non-incumbent councillors, as I feel duped in believing they were doing an admirable job.

Look at the Telus building being built behind the Empress as an example of poor planning, and see who was against this decision.

We will all miss Geoff Young, and his voice of reason.

Mur Meadows
Victoria

https://www.timescol...appears-5720680

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2022 - 12:52 PM.

• Barrrister likes this

#1365 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 06:48 PM

I believe I made this suggestion last election cycle but no one cared. They should all go. #nomercy

#1366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 07:26 AM

It looks like they’re all going, except for Isitt and Alto.

I don’t consider Andrew as part of the existing crew. He inherited the mess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1367 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 07:29 AM

And Ms Alto will also be gone if Stephen Andrew is successful.

#1368 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 07:46 AM

Frankly I don’t see any contenders to go up against SA.

#1369 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 August 2022 - 08:05 AM

Did Jeremy Loveday confirm he’s not running?

#1370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 08:14 AM

It’s time for Jeremy Loveday to get a proper full time job.

#1371 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 08:19 AM

It’s time for Jeremy Loveday to get a proper full time job.

I understand slam poets have never been in greater demand.

• Daveyboy and JimV like this

#1372 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 01:43 PM

Unfortunately there seems to be a surplus of UVIC social engineers ready to fill the gap.

It would certainly be generous of Isitt to tear himself away from his award winning work as a legal scholar to help lead us to a brighter future.

#1373 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

He’s a bona fide communist.
  • Nparker likes this

#1374 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:04 PM

My answer:

“Thanks for asking Dave.

Thank you

Stephen

What about the reopening of Richardson?

#1375 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 05:32 PM

^Not to mention Vancouver, Cook, Wharf, Pandora and the other steaming messes in town.

Anyone I support will at minimum have to commit to revisiting these ghastly decisions and to upgrading the road maintenance on the arteries (e.g. downtown Blanshard.)  And I don’t want to hear anything about “climate change programs.”

#1376 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 05:52 PM

Anyone who can keep a promise to restore common sense to Vancouver Street will have my vote for life.

• Midnightly likes this

#1377 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 06:12 PM

Did Jeremy Loveday confirm he’s not running?

not publicly, but he has privately

#1378 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:25 PM

Apparently there’s a whole slate now called Viva Victoria and after reading their news page and candidate profiles, it’s a big no thank you from me.

https://vivavictoria.ca/about/

#1379 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:49 PM

Looks good to me. What’s the beef?
  • All4Victoria likes this

#1380 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:51 PM

Advocate for a return to the proper function of government at all levels.

Advocate for government efficiency to protect and preserve its resources.

Improve transparency and ensure open communication and collaboration between public and private sectors.

Advocate for sound and sensible development policy to address housing, infrastructure and mental health.

Restore faith in local law enforcement and advocate for a return to law and order in our community.

Serve the children and taxpayers – too much service has been for the fashionable ideologies of the times.
  • Nparker, LJ and All4Victoria like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users