BUILT
Hudson House
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1700 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 23
Hudson House is a 23-storey rental tower with a commercial component along the 1700-block of Blanshard Street ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Hudson House (Hudson Place 2) | Rentals; retail | 23-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#361 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 08:59 AM

Well it goes in a complete different direction for one. When complete you will be able to walk through the market and through this development. The benefit is in creating unique and interesting places to explore in our downtown core which is what living in an urban environment is all about. 

The starting and end points are about halfway between Fisgard and Herald. There are a number of steps involved as you will go through so won't be for everyone. It also provides access to the residents for the internal and private dog park and playground. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#362 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:06 AM

Access for the residents makes sense, but I can't imagine the general public is going to make much use of this. Aren't there also a lot of stairs involved in the transition from the carriageway to Blanshard Street? This limits those who can make use of the walkway as well.

#363 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:06 AM

The dog and play parks are going to be private? I thought they were to be public.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:07 AM

Oh hold on, the Hudson Walk parks are public.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#365 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:07 AM

...the Hudson Walk parks are public.

Does the public know this?

#366 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:32 AM

The ones for Hudson House and Hudson Place are already open. You can access them off the carriageway. That said they are locked to the public and are meant only for the residents. I expect the difference with the Hudson Walk is that for one, they are fully rental and two they are located in an open space that is visible to everyone that goes by. These new ones are not like that at all. Still nice to go and see them though. 

It has a whole new look!

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:46 AM

Is the mid-block walkway going to be safe, if it’s not visible to passers by and the parks are locked due to safety?

Know it all.

#368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:47 AM

Is the mid-block walkway going to be safe, if it’s not visible to passers by and the parks are locked due to safety?

This thought crossed my mind as well.

#369 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 09:59 AM

Pic from Moss Rock Park by unknown phantom photographer "JohnnyJayEh" at flickr.com.

#370 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:03 AM

I didn't know you could see Manhattan from Moss Rock Park.  :lol:

#371 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:30 AM

I am going to say another nice thing about this project. Sorry.

So I walk past it almost every morning and I also have been noticing it on the skyline a fair bit and one really cool aspect is that the brownish coloured portion is offset in the perfect way to make it look like a second building from afar. I think they could have achieved this with a different colour but anyway. Okay tell me why I am wrong.

Attached Images

• PXL_20220927_151245864.MP.jpg

It has a whole new look!

#372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:37 AM

Oh yeah! I can see how’d get that impression.

Know it all.

#373 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:26 AM

It does look like 2 buildings, unfortunately neither of them are very attractive.

#374 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:31 AM

Is this place renting?

#375 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:58 AM

There are lights on at night but I would think it is just finishing work still.

It has a whole new look!

#376 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:48 AM

Per their website they are expecting tenants to move in early in 2023:  https://hudsonhouse.townline.com/

#377 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 07:16 PM

I went for a stroll in an alternative reality* and figured I might as well snap a few pics while I was there:

*not really -- I just did some quick and dirty photoshopping to see what HP2 would look like if it had a bit of vertical emphasis to offset the "stacked levels" look.

Attached Images

• Hudson_Place_2-hypothetical-1-cropped.jpg
  • Hudson_Place_2-hypothetical-2-cropped.jpg
  • Hudson_Place_2-hypothetical-3-cropped.jpg
  • Hudson_Place_2-hypothetical-4-cropped.jpg
  • Hudson_Place_2-hypothetical-5-cropped.jpg

Edited by aastra, 05 December 2022 - 08:06 PM.

#378 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 07:41 PM

Off topic but if I'd really appreciate it if Nparker and Mike K. could get together and wield their collective clout to preserve this facade in perpetuity.

#379 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:16 PM

I went for a stroll in an alternative reality* and figured I might as well snap a few pics while I was there:

*not really -- I just did some quick and dirty photoshopping to see what HP2 would look like if it had a bit of vertical emphasis to offset the "stacked levels" look.

You stood directly outside my home, but didn't stop in to say hi? It's the holiday season, and being in a generous frame of mind, I can forgive your transgression. This is a one time only offer.  ;) 

It would have been nice if there had been even the smallest design element used to unite HP1 & HP2 and detract from the latter's unwavering blandness.

#380 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:21 PM

Off topic but I'd really appreciate it if Nparker and Mike K. could get together and wield their collective clout to preserve this facade in perpetuity.

800 Npark.jpg

Looking at some of the "additions" to my 'hood recently, what clout do you think I have with the powers that be?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users