BUILT
Hudson House
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1700 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 23
Hudson House is a 23-storey rental tower with a commercial component along the 1700-block of Blanshard Street ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Hudson House (Hudson Place 2) | Rentals; retail | 23-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#341 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 10:17 AM

I really hope they do some other architectural feature at the roof or at least great lighting for night time.

The other day it occurred to me that maybe this building was intended to "disappear" behind HP1. If so, then I would assume nothing distinctive is yet to come at the top.

I think we can engrave the following in stone: efforts intended to make a major building seem less conspicuous (in supposed deference to another building, or mountains, or the sky, or anything else) will tend to produce the opposite effect.

#342 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 10:48 AM

Curious minds want to know: what would it look like if the Blanshard face of the tower were copied over to the west face?

Like a 23-storey igloo*

*not sure if I can still use this word

#343 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:03 AM

I meant how would it look together with HP1.

Something else: no side of a major building should ever be finished very plainly like a back side unless it actually is a back side.

In this case the west side of the building is just as visible as the Blanshard Street side if not more so. And there doesn't seem to be any potential for it to be blocked by future development.

#344 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:12 AM

Unfortunately, HP2 doesn't have a good side. It has a bad side, 2 worse sides and a terrible side.

#345 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:41 AM

I got an ad for these rentals 'coming very soon' - seems the project has been updated to "Hudson House" - Mods, thread update? Hudson House | Apartments in Victoria, BC (townline.com)

Interesting description of some of the... design... choices... sigh. I am interested to see what the floor plans look like with the 'contemporary finishes' mentioned.

#346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:50 AM

Architecture is an attractive mishmash of styles and layers, with neon and mural art boldly decorating the façade

Must be very subtlety bold.

#347 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 05:23 PM

Any guesses as to the day or the hour when it will be finished?

They’re doing a soft open on Monday for the new main UVic food hall. Apparently the inside is much nicer than the outside.

#348 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:38 PM

Good news for those who accept the invitation to the banquet.

#349 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:30 AM

I'll say the pairing of HP1 and HP2 actually works from the intersection of Lansdowne and Richmond. I'm not being snarky. For some reason the upper levels of HP2 look pretty good from that angle, and because there's a bit of separation between the buildings there's no harm/no foul to HP1.

#350 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:33 AM

Agreed. The further one gets away from HP2 (aka Hudson House) the better it looks. I understand people can't stop talking about it in Halifax.

#351 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:36 AM

I feel like you're being snarky.

#352 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:46 AM

I feel like you're being snarky.

Trust your feelings.  ;)

#353 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 05:19 AM

Unpopular opinion coming. The Blanshard side of HP2 is looking better and better as they get closer to being done. The penthouse section and the ground floor seem to make up for the stretch in the middle in a way that I didn't think would work. I will leave now. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#354 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 06:16 AM

The penthouse level on the Blanshard side works but not enough to make up for 15 floors of bland.

Also, the new name "Hudson House" sounds like it comes straight out of the 1960s, which I suppose is fitting considering the design is stuck 60 years in past.

#355 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 03:15 PM

Any word on what that top floor will be? Thinking it would be the residents shared amenity space/rooftop patio.

In follow up to my question... I believe we will see a top floor/rooftop shared amenity space. It seems Townline is keen on the concept, interestingly in their condo buildings too. For their BAND project in Coquitlam, they are showing off some renderings of the 'Penthouse Amenity package' - Building & Amenities - BAND by Townline. Things like a games/entertaining space (billiards, foosball) and a large outdoor area with tables/bbqs/loungers.

This is some valuable real estate, if not the most valuable in the building, so I'm really not sure what the angle is here as opposed to a Penthouse or three.

#356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:16 PM

If that comes to pass, that’ll be one for the books, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#357 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:06 PM

Looking forward to the new mid-block walkway here. Should be open in the next couple of months!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#358 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:01 PM

Unpopular opinion coming. The Blanshard side of HP2 is looking better and better...

Pics or it's not an unpopular opinion.

#359 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 06:45 AM

Looking forward to the new mid-block walkway here. Should be open in the next couple of months!

Where are the start and endpoints for this new midblock walkway? I’ve seen this mentioned several times and have walked by the project a lot and can’t really tell where this would be…

#360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 06:55 AM

What function will another mid-block walkway serve that the carriageway doesn't already provide?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users