2900 Tillicum Road / 300 Gorge Road West
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 300 Gorge Road West
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: in planning
2900 Tillicum Road / 300 Gorge Road West is a proposal to build a five-storey mixed-use condominium and retail... (view full profile)
Learn more about 2900 Tillicum Road / 300 Gorge Road West on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] 2900 Tillicum Road / 300 Gorge Road West | Condos; retail | 5-storeys

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

Tillicum-Road-strip-mall-home-to-El-Greco-Restaurant-slated-for-redevelopment.jpg

An artist's rendering of 2900 Tillicum Road / 300 Gorge Road West. The five-storey mixed-use residential and retail concept is slated to replace a single storey strip mall anchored by El Greco Restaurant at the intersection of Tillicum Road and Gorge Road West in Saanich. 

Tillicum Road strip mall home to El Greco Restaurant slated for redevelopment

https://victoria.cit...-redevelopment/

Citified profile: https://victoria.cit...orge-road-west/

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

The strip of Tillicum Road from the mall through to Gorge is prime for more density.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

should be slam dunkish if saanich is serious about housing.  can't get a more unobtrusive to neighbours than that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2018 - 11:30 AM.

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

The choice of colours is bizarre and will hopefully be revised through the DP process, but otherwise I like what I see at first glance!

#5 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

2933 Albina Street just fully rehabilitated the apartment build there and tge Bronte Height project has sat still for months.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

SD, say again regarding 2933 Albina?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

It us a 55+ apartment building at the corner of Albina and Gorge Rd. When I Google mapped 2933 Abina that was were the pin stuck.

They just replaced all the windows, balconies and repainted the entire exterior.

I doubt it would coming down now. Just completed the rehab over the summer (July).

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:05 PM

I am glad to hear something is happening here.   I am a bit disappointed it is not very ambitious but I know that even this likely to get neighbourhood blowback 

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

It us a 55+ apartment building at the corner of Albina and Gorge Rd. When I Google mapped 2933 Abina that was were the pin stuck.

They just replaced all the windows, balconies and repainted the entire exterior.

I doubt it would coming down now. Just completed the rehab over the summer (July).

The proposal was approved pending fulfillment of the requirements noted in the rezoning report in September. The owner could be planning on moving the house at a later date, maybe?

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

2933 Albina Street is a proposed new building further north on Albina. It is not a replacement of the one that was recently renovated/upgraded.

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#11 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

Darn you google maps. The Bronte building though... think its dead. Nothing going on onsite there.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, that's an odd one for sure. Their Ilaria project along Sooke Road across the street from Royal Roads is proceeding but at a very, very, very slow pace. Chiara seemed to have stopped during excavation/blasting, then it re-stored, then it stopped, then crews began pouring concrete and rebar, then they stopped. Very odd.

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

Drove by and through this intersection the other day (we live in the Selkirk neighborhood on the other side of the Tillicum bridge) thinking "sure would be nice to see that tired strip torn down and something decent" built in its place.... 

I'm a little underwhelmed especially by that color scheme (woof!) but hoping its only an early rendering. Regardless anything will be an improvement over the ramshackle state of that corner currently. Hope they retain the coffee shop though, they serve up a good cup of Joe.....

#14 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

Yikes. Those colours! It almost looks like it’s made of LEGO. Otherwise looks like a decent project in a prime spot for densification. I really hope to see similar development at the adjacent lot between Arnot and Vincent, save for the obnoxious colours.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

I suspect those are just early massing renderings and that they'll be finessed. Lowe makes good stuff.

• AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

I suspect those are just early massing renderings and that they'll be finessed. Lowe makes good stuff.

I sure hope so. The final approved drawings for one of his Sidney projects has strawberry red and lime green accents 

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

^I like the red! Not so much the green though.
  • Nparker likes this

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

Not surprisingly, there are concerns that this proposal doesn't include an "affordable housing" component. While that may be true, what really concerns me is that it will be at least 4 years (best case scenario) before anyone is housed at this location.

Plans for a five-storey residential building in Saanich’s Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood with 53 condominium units will not include any affordable housing...Lowe expects to break ground on the project within 20 months, pending staff review and approvals. This means that the project would finish in four year’s time.

https://www.vicnews....rdable-housing/

The development approval processes in our region take altogether too much time.

#19 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:57 AM

Not surprisingly, there are concerns that this proposal doesn't include an "affordable housing" component. While that may be true, what really concerns me is that it will be at least 4 years (best case scenario) before anyone is housed at this location.

The development approval processes in our region take altogether too much time.

20 months is insane to get a run of the mill low-rise condo approved. Is this use outside of the OCP for the area?

Edited by Mattjvd, 02 November 2018 - 08:57 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#20 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

20 months is insane to get a run of the mill low-rise condo approved. Is this use outside of the OCP for the area?

Nope, no amendments to the OCP or LAP required, I believe. The property is designated for commercial use, and is intended to be an anchor for the Tillicum-Gorge urban village.

From the LAP: "The Gorge Shopping Centre at the corner of Gorge and Tillicum Roads, and the commercial parcels opposite, provide local retail shopping. A combination of site planning, architecture, land use, and public amenities (landscaping, benches and public art) should be considered to support the “urban village” concept. This is a major intersection and therefore, requires careful attention to the pedestrian environment."

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users