Murray Rankin, MP for Victoria, is expected to announce his retirement

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:18 AM

Murray Rankin is set to announce his retirement in the coming weeks, according to individuals familiar with his plans.

Rankin was elected to the Victoria federal riding in the fall of 2012 and assumed office on November 26. He will have served as a Member of Parliament for six years by month's end.

The next federal election is on October 21, 2019.

Suspicions are that City of Victoria councillor Ben Isitt will pursue Rankin's position and for a time it was suspected City of Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps would seek the seat under the Green or Liberal banners (hence her indecision late last year over whether or not she would run in the 2018 City of Victoria election). Her decision to pursue another term as Mayor of Victoria, and having been re-elected, is largely viewed as confirmation that she will not run in a federal by-election (should Rankin step down) or in the 2019 federal election.

MP's must serve six years in order to qualify for a full pension.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

Good riddance.  Did nothing for me as an MP when I had an issue.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

You would think he could have hung in for one more year for the sake of his constituents instead of bailing a few days after he qualifies for pension.

Anyone else here get a life long pension after 6 years of work?
  • AllseeingEye, sebberry and GaryRanson like this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:35 AM

He may announce his retirement effective mid-2019, so he could very well remain Victoria's MP until the next election cycle.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

IIRC, Savoie retired right after the 6 year clock had run out as well...

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:31 AM

Oh she did, didn’t she! But I believe there was a medical condition that pushed her into retirement, no?

Know it all.

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:36 AM

Oh she did, didn’t she! But I believe there was a medical condition that pushed her into retirement, no?

It was never specified but her doctor gave her a "health warning". I guess that meant retire or else.

#8 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

I think he'll serve out the rest of his term. Potential NDP candidates from the municipal field:

Marianne Alto

Dean Fortin

Ben Isitt

Nils Jensen

Dianne McNally

Peg Orcherton (Or Steve Orcherton although that is less likely) 

#9 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

Wow. Nakedly just in it for the pension. I do hope Issit runs heh

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

Peg Orcherton (Or Steve Orcherton although that is less likely) 

Years Austin Powers was frozen: 20

Years between Steve Orcherton's last year in politics and 2019: 18

#11 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

He will have served as a Member of Parliament for six years by month's end.

MP's must serve six years in order to qualify for a full pension.

'Scuse my cynicism....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

'Scuse my cynicism....

Bloody lawyers...

#13 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:24 PM

Years Austin Powers was frozen: 20

Years between Steve Orcherton's last year in politics and 2019: 18

Well I did say it was unlikely. 

• Rob Randall likes this

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

Will he actually resign or not run for re-election?  

Reasons why he would be retiring:

The NDP seems to be fading as a federal party at the moment so why do four more years?

The travel to and from Ottawa is gruelling for BC MPs.  Twice a week you get a three hour time change, this is worse than any other MPs in the country.    BC MPs have to spend more time in airports and in the air than any other MPs in Canada.   Each week Murray Rankin spends about 24-26 hours travelling to and from Ottawa. 

He will be close to 70 by the time of the next election.

The pension he will get from his time in parliament will be around $31,000 a year.   You have to keep in mind his earnings as an MP are lower than what he was earning as a lawyer beforehand.   He currently contributes close to 20% of his gross salary to the pension plan.   

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

Will he actually resign or not run for re-election?  

Reasons why he would be retiring:

The NDP seems to be fading as a federal party at the moment so why do four more years?

The travel to and from Ottawa is gruelling for BC MPs.  Twice a week you get a three hour time change, this is worse than any other MPs in the country.    BC MPs have to spend more time in airports and in the air than any other MPs in Canada.   Each week Murray Rankin spends about 24-26 hours travelling to and from Ottawa. 

He will be close to 70 by the time of the next election.

The pension he will get from his time in parliament will be around $31,000 a year.   You have to keep in mind his earnings as an MP are lower than what he was earning as a lawyer beforehand.   He currently contributes close to 20% of his gross salary to the pension plan.   

You make some solid points Bernard and while I don't necessarily disagree with some or most of them, I have little sympathy in general for politicians re: compensation and "sacrifice": they go in eyes wide open and know the score in advance in terms of the salary they can expect, the associated benefits and pensions etc - which is a hell of a lot more than those of us who cut our teeth in the professional private sector can generally ever say.

A senior manager in the private sector - depending on the industry of course - can and frequently does travel a hell of  a lot more than any politician, is away from his own family as much or more, generally does not have a fully indexed, gold plated pension courtesy of the taxpayers awaiting him or her one day - and he or she can be fired virtually at will, anywhere, anytime at the pleasure of his boss(es).

I'm sure Mr Rankin will stumble along just fine on his MP's pension in addition to and in conjunction with whatever financial strategy he presumably had in place geared to retirement, from his former legal life.

**...I should add my mother spent her entire professional career working as a senior OR/Emergency/Charge nurse @ RJH - working days, nights, weekends, holidays - lost eight years' seniority after her second child was born in 1967 - and her nursing pension (considered to be quite good) - gives her a retirement income of about $48K/year. Mind you it required 38 years to achieve it however so you'll understand if l shed few tears for the Murray Rankin's of the world....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 01 November 2018 - 05:31 PM.

• rjag likes this

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

Elizabeth May must be planting entire pine forests to make up for all that jet setting...
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#17 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

Is there any article or link or tweets related to this thread? Where are we getting this from

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

Is there any article or link or tweets related to this thread? Where are we getting this from

|

|

|

V

Murray Rankin is set to announce his retirement in the coming weeks, according to individuals familiar with his plans.

Know it all.

#19 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:03 PM

Isitt gunning to be the NDP candidate would be the least shocking news in the world. Pretty clear City Hall is just a stepping stone for him.

• rjag, RFS and rmpeers like this

#20 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

Politics appears so incredibly unappealing and thankless I am not sure I am concerned about a gold plated pension.   The more we can do to bring in quality people, the better.  

• Rob Randall likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users