• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#2181 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

Sadly, I think Geoff Young might be the only person on council right now who has a clear understanding of what the city ought to do and a healthy respect for those who are left picking up the bill for the decisions of council.  

I like Geoff in comparison to the remainder of Council, but even he has some serious issues which, if left unchecked, would result in a much less vibrant city than the one we currently have.

Young's absolutely lack of support for the arts, along with his willingness to repeatedly toss the arts and artists under the bus (while supporting and building sports facilities) is a rather large fault for a City Councillor to have in an otherwise artistically enlightened city like Victoria.

• Rob Randall, Hotel Mike and Awaiting Juno like this

#2182 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

Imagine a scenario where Geoff Young's failings were the worst part of council. Dare to dream right?

• AndrewReeve, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#2183 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

I like Geoff in comparison to the remainder of Council, but even he has some serious issues which, if left unchecked, would result in a much less vibrant city than the one we currently have.

Young's absolutely lack of support for the arts, along with his willingness to repeatedly toss the arts and artists under the bus (while supporting and building sports facilities) is a rather large fault for a City Councillor to have in an otherwise artistically enlightened city like Victoria.

...if you can live with 9 out of 10 decisions a councillor makes - that's not bad...on the other hand if that one decision is an absolute deal-breaker, then - that's not good...

...some say that at least 10% of folks will disagree with any decision you make, and that after ten decisions you have pissed off just about everybody... what's a poor councillor to do?...

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#2184 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

The together Victoria slate was packaged nicely and appealing to the super lefty millennials. Watching them in their first few council meetings was rather painful. I guess they have to start somewhere. I would think Reeve & Andrew would have faired much better at the table. They seemed to be well versed in municipal issues - where it seems together Victoria was manufactured for a purpose. They may share the same views as the people that elected them - but implementing their ideas, which aren’t very realistic - will be nearly impossible. Just my take.
  • Nparker, AndrewReeve, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#2185 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

I’m not a fan of Geoff young’s, when I met him - he was rude and dismissive towards me. I’d still vote for him strategically in an election as I think he has much more common sense than the others

I’ve never had a council member not reply to an email - but I have yet to reach out to any of these new council members. To hear that they’re not responding is rather disappointing.

who do we think will run in the next election? I don’t see Collins returning, I think she has other aspirations. I can’t see Potts returning either. Dubrow will run again, I’m fairly certain
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#2186 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:55 AM

Greater Victoria did not win the smart cities challenge and the attached $10M. ☹️

I’m puzzled by this statement:
« But the outcome does nothing to change plans to roll out transportation services that focus on seniors, new immigrants and First Nations students.« 

https://www.cheknews...ize-560799/amp/

#2187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:05 AM

Puzzled? It sounds like the usual platitudes that the CoV council (and a few others in the region) throw about to keep their base happy. Nice touch adding in seniors though. That's a bit of a new twist.

#2188 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Just like when the City said they'd soldier on with the new bridge despite losing the provincial infrastructure money. That turned out fine, right? Guys?

• Nparker, AndrewReeve and rmpeers like this

#2189 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

I am sorry, transportation services that focus on seniors, new immigrants and First Nations? They have different transportation services?

I can kind of on board with seniors, but new immigrants and First Nations?
  • Nparker, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2190 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:42 AM

Greater Victoria did not win the smart cities challenge and the attached $10M. ☹️

I’m puzzled by this statement:
« But the outcome does nothing to change plans to roll out transportation services that focus on seniors, new immigrants and First Nations students.« 

We covered this in the Victoria economy thread but in short and in my opinion, this is just putting a happy face on what will likely become the death of SIPP. 

If we look way back to 2015, SIPP was a developed as a new and improved version of the GVDA. It's goals were to do things like "grow household incomes", "build momentum for economic projects", etc. Since formation SIPP has received millions of dollars in funding from various levels of Government (including $250K to do a proposal for the smart cities challenge) and from what I can tell has done little to nothing in the way of economic development. 

Since last summer smart cities and transportation seem to be their new mandate even though the CRD , the Province and the new South Island Transportation group all seem to have similar/competing projects of their own underway. In my opinion, the lure of the $10M prize from the feds was the only thing keeping the funding partners involved with SIPP, and I would have to think that the next time budgets come up for approval many are going to have a hard time writing that cheque again.

I noted yesterday that Mayor Helps took on the responsibility of pitching the proposal to the audience in Ottawa, but she seems to have made herself scarce since they lost. Aside from a brief twitter statement congratulating the winners, I haven't seen any comment in the media from her. If you are going to take ownership then own it.

Edited by spanky123, 15 May 2019 - 06:44 AM.

• Midnightly and Kungsberg like this

#2191 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

I am sorry, transportation services that focus on seniors, new immigrants and First Nations? They have different transportation services?

I shouted at the tv when I heard that. What the hell?

#2192 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

I speculate that if you sat down all of the industry and business partners in this project and suggested that a region wide mobility network be developed, then they would have come up with a plan that made sense for everyone and leveraged resources and tools that were best suited for the job.

In my opinion, somewhere between that original plan and what was pitched to the smart city judges it looks like things changed. An emphasis appears to have been placed on special interest groups and questionable partnerships even though the economic and project rationale for doing so were likely suspect. Perhaps they had advice that it was needed for a chance to win the award, perhaps there was interference locally. If and when the finger pointing starts I am sure that we will hear more.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#2193 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

...somewhere between that original plan and what was pitched to the smart city judges it looks like things changed. An emphasis appears to have been placed on special interest groups and questionable partnerships...

Quelle surprise.

Edited by Nparker, 15 May 2019 - 07:40 AM.

#2194 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

who do we think will run in the next election? I don’t see Collins returning, I think she has other aspirations. 

You might say that as she is the nominee in Murray Ranklin's riding for the NDP in the upcoming Federal election. LOL

• rjag likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

SIPP’s CEO is off on maternity leave, but her interim replacement is none other than Bruce Williams of CTV fame. He’s a veteran public speaker and presenter. Why he was not at the helm during the presentation, but Helps was, is a question that I’m certain many are asking themselves.

SIPP’s website is down as I write this, or inaccessible due to the volume of traffic from people clicking through to learn more about an organization few bad heard of prior to today. http://www.southislandprosperity.ca/
  • Midnightly and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2196 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

^ I have no access issues, must have been a traffic blip?

#2197 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

I can access it now.

One of the leader images on their website is a marketing image form Abstract’s Black and White development. Odd.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2198 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

SIPP should have been left to present on their own accord - perhaps with a recorded video of support from the mayor played.  Her presence wasn't required.  There are so many "smart" things we could do as a city to make what we do and how we do it better for those who live here.  And with any competition, there's a stinging reality, that sometimes someone else's entry was just better - had a better idea or a better pitch or a better plan for implementation.  Learn from them and do better next time.  Not everyone can come in first.

Further, first nations, seniors, and new immigrants, might be disproportionately represented in lower socio-economic groups, but that does not mean projects that aim to assist in those lower socio-economic groups should be labelled as projects intended to help seniors, new immigrants, and first nations.  There are also arguments to be had that many seniors are far more likely to be doing well socio-economically, than many youth. 

It's sad to see the economic development focus get clouded - there is good work to be done there, and some truly "smart" projects that are being foregone in favor of pandering to a base.

• Mike K., Nparker, spanky123 and 2 others like this

#2199 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

One of the leader images on their website is a marketing image form Abstract’s Black and White development. Odd.

Yeah, it's also used (and credited) on page 28 of the current issue of Douglas Magazine. It's a great shot, check it out.

#2200 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

The $10M pitch.

https://www.veoh.com...1938207eh9ntJRK

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users