• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#2281 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

Hey Victoria, this is what a pragmatic and non-ideological council looks like:

https://www.timescol...mmGOe9r1RJO29Ko

A decision to require that 10 per cent of units in new developments have three bedrooms has been rescinded by Esquimalt councillors

“The requirement of 10 per cent could present problems in terms of projects coming forward,” Mayor Barb Desjardins said, adding that 10 per cent might be too much, especially for smaller developments of 20 or 30 units.

They're going about it in the wrong manner. Don't make it a firm requirement. How about waive the first 3 years of property tax on rental project that offer more than 10% 3 bedroom units, or more than 15% of units below market rental rate.
  • tedward, jonny and Victoria Watcher like this

#2282 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

They're going about it in the wrong manner. Don't make it a firm requirement. How about waive the first 3 years of property tax on rental project that offer more than 10% 3 bedroom units, or more than 15% of units below market rental rate.

I agree. More of a carrot less of a stick. That said they just got rid of it altogether because they recognized it would result in less projects altogether. Good for them.
  • jonny, Midnightly and Mattjvd like this

#2283 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

Or why not offer a permanent tax discount for as long as the building maintains a certain number of cheaper rental units?

#2284 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

I agree with RFS. Almost always to use a carrot rather than a stick. But the Isitt type of social justice warriors are so convinced of the rightness of their moral stance, that they are happy to wield the stick.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2285 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Or why not offer a permanent tax discount for as long as the building maintains a certain number of cheaper rental units?

so that you and i pay for a portion of our neighbours' rent forever?  how about move to where you can afford to live ffs.  i'd rather pay 100% of your moving costs now than a portion of your rent forever.

• Nparker and DavidL like this

#2286 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

so that you and i pay for a portion of our neighbours' rent forever? how about move to where you can afford to live ffs. i'd rather pay 100% of your moving costs now than a portion of your rent forever.

Well of course they wouldn't do it, because they wouldn't want to forgo the precious tax revenue.

And no I am not keen to subsidize people living in the city if they have the option to just live elsewhere.

Having said that, I honestly don't feel I'm seeing any value from the taxes that I pay the city. IF I could see a shred of evidence that my ever-increasing tax payments were, for example, having an impact in reducing drug addiction, crime or homelessness, at least I could feel like they were serving some greater purpose.

But things just seem to keep getting worse, because the local govt is too busy playing government and cranking out meaningless proclamations.

Note: I realize this post will get me branded as either a communist or a right-wing extremist. Why is there no middle of the road in Victoria local politics?
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#2287 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

I was walking past St. Anne's the other evening, and couldn't help but notice the state of the boulevard from the North corner of Quadra and Humboldt, to where the property line was of the apartments.  It wasn't mowed...it looked awful.  I know there's a tax for having a boulevard, and I always thought it went towards maintenance, however, I note (even on the boulevard in front of my home), maintenance seems to be lacking.  So if property owners are expected to maintain, why again, exactly is their a boulevard tax?   

• rmpeers likes this

#2288 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

Boulevard maintenance in the CoV is atrocious.

• rmpeers likes this

#2289 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

Blocks can opt out of the boulevard tax, but by doing so agree to take over maintenance. Whether it's publicly or privately maintained, probably worth sending a service request to parks@victoria.ca

• Hotel Mike likes this

#2290 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

If you’re paying the fee, but not receiving adequate service, you can rally your neighbours to opt out.

The City requires that you receive 2/3’s (or more) support from property owners along your block, and that 2/3’s support must also equate to 2/3’s of the assessed value along that block. If there is more than one owner of a property all owners must sign the petition.

- https://www.victoria...aintenance.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2291 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

We mow our own boulevard otherwise it would look like a hay field. There aren't too many houses due to the way they're positioned so it would be difficult to get the block to agree and those other folks seems to like the hay field look. Pisses us off the way the whole neighbourhood looks though. Same with paying for street sweeping...what damn street sweeping! Cars parked here every day of the year...there is no street sweeping going on.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#2292 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:52 AM

^ feel free to take some of the street sweeping we get - damn noisy thing goes by here about every other night, in the middle of the night...

• Kungsberg likes this

#2293 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

I would happily take your street-sweeping, esp, in autumn when all the drains are clogged. If the area in front of our house even gets done once a year, I'd be surprised. What are we paying for? At least in France they have guys or gals with those long brooms clearing out the gutters.

• Nparker likes this

#2294 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

I would happily take your street-sweeping, esp, in autumn when all the drains are clogged. If the area in front of our house even gets done once a year, I'd be surprised. What are we paying for? At least in France they have guys or gals with those long brooms clearing out the gutters.

Jesus don't get me started on the leaves.

#2295 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

And when those property tax payers don't see the things they expect to see (pot holes fixed, boulevards mowed, streets swept, etc.) - and are left picking up those tasks, and are also facing significant property tax and utility bill hikes (our water and sewage rates have gone up dramatically), and there is no money because it's been spent chasing problems well outside of the jurisdiction of city council, how is it that we've leaned further into this problem by electing the TV slate?  It's admirable to want to save the world, but if that's your goal, perhaps leave the job of city council to those who actually want to do the job that needs to be done.  It's like hiring someone to mow the lawn, and coming home to discover that the lawn isn't mowed, but they've organized your garage instead.  Why is it so hard to expect that a good job of "the job" be done first before tackling things that are "pet projects". 

• Nparker, LJ, exc911ence and 7 others like this

#2296 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

Updated council agenda for this evening outlines (part H) how our taxpayer money is being spent writing letters to various forms of Government which are simply just blown off.

https://pub-victoria...English&Item=33

Also 45 speakers on the agenda, most of whom want to comment on the horse drawn carriages ban.

Edited by spanky123, 23 May 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#2297 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

...what a gong show!...

https://www.timescol...plan-1.23830920

#2298 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

This is all just their "we can't build a pool" (because we can't afford it) so make up a reason why there is no place to build a pool.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

This could actually be a safety measure against another $125 million boondoggle.

From tommy’s article link:

Victoria might have to abandon the idea of building a new Crystal Pool on Central Middle School grounds if a motion proposed by councillors Marianne Alto and Sharmarke Dubow passes today.
The motion proposes a number of criteria for locating new city facilities — like the pool — including that they not be built on existing green space.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2300 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

Midnight and the Council meeting is still going on. 

Young says that CoV taxing citizens 500,000 a year to acquire farmland is not a small matter - Collins says this "hopefully" will be accepted by North Saanich, etc, is for "food justice".....Issit says this is 1/100th of a police budget.  Passed!

Who owns the farm?  Who runs it?  How much does that cost?  Are the CoV taxpayers on the hook?

One last comment.....statements like "food justice" is is a misstep.  It shows a lack of vision of growing your base and being successful.  It is counterproductive, which leads me to believe that Collins doesn't care about the issue but is leveraging a base for something else.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users