Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#2341 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Apparently during the two days she was in Germany she completely understood how they made pedestrian malls work and has decided to do the same here.

I wouldn't worry too much, anything Helps messes around with fails. Look where we are with Crystal Pool and the Firehall.

but she sure likes to throw alot of money at it for things like studies and consultations....

#2342 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

Government Street will close to vehicle traffic. Mayor Helps says “ In this term we will do it”. 5:00 CTV News.

So much for consultation.

didn't they just spend stupid amounts of money (and took away parking) to put a bike lane on wharf street when many said to put it on government so they can ride safe and not with traffic? now they plan to shut down government to vehicle traffic seems like a rather significant waste to me

i can understand shutting down government for festivals, for events, but not full time 12 months of the year.. it will become a bit of a dead zone...

you also can't permanently block both ends because many parades use government as part of the route

Edited by Midnightly, 28 May 2019 - 09:24 PM.

#2343 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

All because she went to Heidelberg. We were there several years ago and while it does have a nice little old town core of walking streets, the rest is just your usual cityscape with cars. The postcard view of Heidelberg showing the castle on the hill is very misleading as the rest of the town flattens out. The Old Town is sort of at one end of things, it's not a thoroughfare needed to pass through to go anywhere. I thought this was a great streetview of Heidelberg if you consider the fellow in the foreground, lol.

https://www.google.c...0!7i5376!8i2688

#2344 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

One of these that I really like is Koenigstrasse in Stuttgart. It's not like they don't have dead times during winter as well in Germany.

I've always liked this idea, but it needs to be done right. eg. We need more restaurants in the area that will setup mid street patios at least in the summer.

#2345 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

Government Street will close to vehicle traffic. Mayor Helps says “ In this term we will do it”. 5:00 CTV News.

So much for consultation.

On CFAX this morning the Mayor stated that the plan was no longer to close Government to vehicle traffic but instead to have everyone share but put people first. 

If everyone can successfully share a road then we do we need bike lanes?

• Nparker, rjag, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#2346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

On CFAX this morning the Mayor stated that the plan was no longer to close Government to vehicle traffic but instead to have everyone share ...

How exactly would that work?  :confused:

#2347 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

...now ben is forming a local chapter of the WCTU...

Coun. Ben Isitt said the city should consider reducing its late-night costs by recovering additional revenue from operators “who profit off the drunkenness that causes the disorder that necessitates this program.”

Isitt wants the city to look for ways to strengthen regulations to reduce anti-social behaviour resulting from over-serving and over-consumption of alcohol.

#2348 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

...now ben is forming a local chapter of the WCTU...

Coun. Ben Isitt said the city should consider reducing its late-night costs by recovering additional revenue from operators “who profit off the drunkenness that causes the disorder that necessitates this program.”

Isitt wants the city to look for ways to strengthen regulations to reduce anti-social behaviour resulting from over-serving and over-consumption of alcohol.

Bar goers, bad.  Heroin junkies, good.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#2349 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

How exactly would that work?  :confused:

Remove the curb so everything is at the same grade, speed limit goes down to 20 km/h or so. Pavement markings provide some structure but are mostly there as guidance. Check out Bratislava, below.

Capture2.PNG

One of the things that stands out in Europe is that people generally make more eye contact and have a better understanding of right of way and courtesy.

#2350 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

I'm OK with this plan if it means we get streetcar service on Government.

• tedward, Greg, lanforod and 1 other like this

#2351 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

So of course I had to google helmet laws in Slovakia based on Jackerbie's pic.  It turns out >15 years old doesn't need a helmet in towns or villages but more important than that:

The new act also introduces a fine of up to €60 for drivers using insulting gestures, for example, knocking on one’s forehead or using a pointed middle-finger while behind the steering wheel.

It's illegal to flip off other drivers.

• lanforod likes this

#2352 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

I just wish the mayor would be a little more reflective about her ideas before releasing them into the wild and that she'd ask herself if she's accomplishing her goal in the most cost effective way.  I wish she'd think more about the people who might be negatively impacted and would think about ways to mitigate that impact.  I get the sense we'd spend a lot less money if she put her climate emergency talk into her actions and quit globe trotting every opportunity she gets. 

• Nparker, jonny and Midnightly like this

#2353 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

I swear this council suffers from squirrel syndrome!

Hows Firehall #1 doing? Hows the Crystal Pool plan? 

Distraction politics 101

• Nparker, jonny, AndrewReeve and 2 others like this

#2354 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

So of course I had to google helmet laws in Slovakia based on Jackerbie's pic.  It turns out >15 years old doesn't need a helmet in towns or villages but more important than that:

It's illegal to flip off other drivers.

BC is in the overwhelming minority when it comes to helmet laws. Take a look at this rough map: https://en.wikipedia...laws_by_country

• thundergun likes this

#2355 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

So here is the latest and greatest from council:

A letter was sent out a few weeks back regarding a new TAX that will be imposed on business owners in the core (5.8 million) in the next 5 years. This tax will go towards “studies” (very broad on that one,) maintaining streets and sidewalks. maintain municipally owned buildings and heritage buildings. Excuse me - but what the heck?!? Don’t businesses pay 3 times what homeowners do? And now they have to pay extra to maintain the sidewalks. And buildings owned by the city? Pretty much done with this council and their ridiculousness
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#2356 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

What "studies" need to be done? Maintain the existing infrastructure within annual budgets that don't increase beyond the cost of inflation. If any funds are left additional projects may then be considered, 

#2357 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

when was the last time any core local municipal budget stayed at or lower than inflation? 1986?

#2358 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

What "studies" need to be done? Maintain the existing infrastructure within annual budgets that don't increase beyond the cost of inflation. If any funds are left additional projects may then be considered, 

you know how this mayor and council work.. they do studies just for the sake of doing studies to pay the people who do the studies.... and when the study doesn't give them the answers they want they pick and choose the info to make the study fit their agenda

• Nparker likes this

#2359 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

Probably communist studies

#2360 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

I hear Helps is now off to Quebec City, presumably flying.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users