Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3021 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

^True, cycling is a bit more of a guy thing. Must be a white people thing too. 

#3022 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:40 PM

Which reminds me, the CEO of BC Transit is a woman.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:28 AM

CoV council is getting quite the tongue lashing in today's TC in response to this "Together Victoria" comment from July 16th.

...Because citizens are complaining about the priorities and ways things are done at city hall, the commentary does an injustice in calling these criticisms “anti-democratic narratives.” Criticisms are not undemocratic and negative; rather, they present an opportunity for policy makers to reflect on choices made and implementation, and if they could have been done better. Perhaps instead of labelling those who disagree with you as undemocratic, the writers should consider if the councillors are effectively making decisions in the interests of all areas and residents of Victoria...

...I am not sure they understand the nature of representative democracy. Representative democracy means that you elect people to represent all of the people of Victoria, not just a minority demographic.The writers need to understand that all the people who did not vote for their slate actually still have a voice. They do not have to just shut up for the next four years...

...please do not speak for the people, and say we are angry about the democratic process being undermined. People are also allowed to voice their dissent about elected representatives. Do not tell us what we are angry about; most letters indicate frustration with this council’s inability to even listen to its own staff recommendations. Just because “team Together Victoria” is doing what you want, it does not mean that is what everyone wants...

...The commentary says “we elected new members to council that represent the values of the majority of people who live here.”

To suggest billing the military for events such as Remembrance Day does not represent the values of the majority of people who live here. It represents the values of the Klantifa.

Removing the statue of Sir John A. Macdonald without consultation, around 5 a.m., does not represent the values of the majority of people who live here. It represents the values of the Taliban...

If you want to know how Victoria will look like in five years, look what the same radicals did to San Francisco and Los Angeles...

https://www.timescol...bies-1.23890161

• rjag, AndrewReeve, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#3024 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

^.....removing the JAM statue at 5:00 am represents the values of the Taliban....

Priceless
  • mbjj likes this

#3025 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

I'd love to see the numbers on the letters the TC received vs what they ran. My guess is that that while those letters skewed anti-TV, given their readership is older, it wasn't nearly as one-sided as they made it out to be with their editorial choices

#3026 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

Let’s be honest. The frustration in the City of Victoria by the electorate is palpable. Nearly 60% of voters voted against the current mayor. 48% cast a vote for Isitt. Fewer than 44% of eligible voters cast a vote.
  • AndrewReeve and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3027 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:54 AM

Let’s be honest. The frustration in the City of Victoria by the electorate is palpable. Nearly 60% of voters voted against the current mayor. 48% cast a vote for Isitt. Fewer than 44% of eligible voters cast a vote.

I disagree. I see frustration by people who didn't vote for TV, etc, but I also see a lot of happiness from people who did. I have no idea which is actually more prevalent, but my guess is that more people are actually happy with the current situation. What do I base that guess on? Polling on other topics and the election result doesn't match the griping you see online, which means the griping you see online likely isn't representative.

#3028 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:58 AM

It’s not just about those who are happy, though. Council has to find a way to please the whole.
  • Love the rock and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#3029 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

I disagree. I see frustration by people who didn't vote for TV, etc, but I also see a lot of happiness from people who did. I have no idea which is actually more prevalent, but my guess is that more people are actually happy with the current situation. What do I base that guess on? Polling on other topics and the election result doesn't match the griping you see online, which means the griping you see online likely isn't representative.

Based on my own (anecdotal, non-scientific) life experience, I have never, ever met anyone who, when the subject of local politics came up, didn't have serious concerns about the mayor and/or Isitt/Loveday/Tv. This has ranged from eye-rolling and head-shaking to 'what have those wacky people done now?'-type commentaries to full-on angry rants.

Generally, I would characterize my circle of acquaintances, colleagues etc as moderate-to-left-leaning, folks who vote for the NDP provincially etc.

This is just my own experience.
  • mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#3030 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

Like the old buys club that runs your favourite soccer team?

LOL, you mean the private business that is owned by some middle-aged white guys? I'd love to see more diversity in the back office but for now I am happy that the team on the pitch is diverse.

My government has a duty to represent all citizens and make sure that they do not discriminate in hiring staff.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3031 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:43 AM

LOL, you mean the private business that is owned by some middle-aged white guys? I'd love to see more diversity in the back office but for now I am happy that the team on the pitch is diverse.

My government has a duty to represent all citizens and make sure that they do not discriminate in hiring staff.

If that private business doesn’t need anyone to meddle in who it hires and why, and yet you’re happy with the diversity of the team, does that not prove the point that when left to their own devices organizations will hire the best, and only the best, for the roles they need filled?

So if business (this team) hires the best, and you agree that the diversity on the team is great, why does government need rules/directions/oversight? Is government incapable of hiring the best? Is it corrupt? What differentiates it from a sports team if we agree that organizations always want to hire the best individuals for the roles it needs filled?
  • rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.

#3032 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

it is? does it have young players and old players females and players with physical and mental disabilities? poor players and wealthy players? does it have any blind or hearing impaired players?

or is your version of diverse just skin colour and nationality?

see we were talking here about selecting staff (players) on the basis of merit. just like how that was the sole criteria for signing players (on pitch staff) for your team.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2019 - 11:05 AM.

• GaryRanson and Awaiting Juno like this

#3033 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

see we were talking here about selecting staff (players) on the basis of merit.

Nope, this is a deeply racist argument and a form of "whataboutism".

Policies on equity and diversity allow merit to actually be the criteria, not what race or religion or gender you are.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3034 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

Policies on equity and diversity allow merit to actually be the criteria, not what race or religion or gender you are.

Bullpucky!

A truly equal way of hiring and giving every applicant an equal chance is to scrub all identifying information from the application! This removes any inherent bias in the initial round of screening and bases shortlists on merit and qualifications

If anything is racist it’s your comment “ private business that is owned by some middle-aged white guys” talk about assumptive and intolerance

Edited by rjag, 20 July 2019 - 10:33 AM.

• A Girl is No one and On the Level like this

#3035 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

That’s already what the law is though. Why should anybody need a policy? Companies don’t need a “don’t commit murder” policy.

And let’s not pretend the whole hiring thing isn’t inherently biased. We hire who we like the most. That’s just the way it is.
  • rjag likes this

#3036 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

This is Soviet tier political correctness and "up is down"-ism

#3037 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:57 PM

If we are still talking about the bureaucratically worded CoV motion, my question would be, in what ways has the CoV not hired the best candidate because of their race, age, gender, etc.? Like is this a meaningful gesture to address a problem that currently exists in terms of prejudice in the CoV hiring practices?

#3038 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

^ Does the new CoV policy mean that they now have a plan to target my kids for discrimination?  Sounds like it.

#3039 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

If we are still talking about the bureaucratically worded CoV motion, my question would be, in what ways has the CoV not hired the best candidate because of their race, age, gender, etc.? Like is this a meaningful gesture to address a problem that currently exists in terms of prejudice in the CoV hiring practices?

This is probably another case of solving a problem that likely does not exist.
  • Nparker likes this

#3040 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:48 PM

This is probably another case of solving a problem that likely does not exist.

It does in their minds

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users