City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3441 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:03 PM

True about the language requirement for Brodeur. Didn’t they expand quite a lot over the last couple of years too, taking over the old Lampson elementary?

Also, cheese wagon is the term. Never heard cheese box.

Matt.

#3442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

So Lampson is French immersion now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3443 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

My understanding is that it stopped being Lampson many years ago and the CF were using the space as a language facility. Ecole Brodeur has been renting the space for a couple of years from the school district and is looking to buy it, or already has?

This information comes from some good friends of ours, whose kids go there - but the information is filtered through my wife. :)

Matt.

#3444 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:41 PM

^correct. They actually rent both the former Lampson (since 2012) and Sundance (since 2015) Elementary schools.

And ya, Lampson closed in 2007.

Edited by shoeflack, 18 October 2019 - 08:45 PM.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#3445 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

The City is trying to move ahead with it's "certified living wage employers" program. Any company doing business with the City ill need to certify that all staff are paid at least $19.39 an hour. The City will also re-open collective agreements to give staff currently working for the City raises. Looks like biggest impact will be in security and hospitality services.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=45845

#3446 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

The City is trying to move ahead with it's "certified living wage employers" program. Any company doing business with the City will need to certify that all staff are paid at least $19.39 an hour...

This is sure to make life more affordable...said no one.

#3447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:50 AM

So if an employer provides the below, it gets excluded from $19.39?

Non-mandatory employer provided benefits - such as extended health/dental care, professional education development, enhanced vacation and sick leave - are included in the living wage calculation. For 2019, the living wage for Greater Victoria is $19.39.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3448 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,968 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:59 AM

i suppose they will have to show it (salary and benefits) all adds up to $19.39.  that's not hard to show.

it looks like the biggest effect on current employees will be royal athletic park workers (concession and door).  not sure if the concession and door persons at royal and mcpherson are city of victoria employees.  probably not.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 October 2019 - 06:05 AM.

#3449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:26 AM

The report says they are and they’re the only employees which are not being paid a living wage.

Know it all.

#3450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

From the report:

All City employees are compensated at or above the prevailing living wage rate with the exception of those occupying the following auxiliary positions within the CUPE Local 50 bargaining unit: Door Attendant/Usher, Childminder and Concession Worker. During the 2019 Financial Plan deliberations, Council allocated $9,000 from new assessed revenue to implement the Living Wage Policy for City employees.

Know it all.

#3451 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:29 AM

the report perhaps purposefully overlooks one of the largest city of victoria suppliers. maybe even the largest in terms of number of employees servicing that contract.  the company that has a long-term contract to run the arena the city owns.  rg properties.  that pays very few of its employees anywhere close to that wage.

also what's happening with wages at the beacon hill park children's farm?  under contract to the city.

what about when the city contracts with food trucks at centennial square etc.?

the dvba might not be a "supplier" to the city but their clean team only earns a tad over minimum wage.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 October 2019 - 06:35 AM.

• rmpeers likes this

#3452 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:32 AM

I was just going to ask if the arena workers are City or private workers.

But those employee make decent tips, do they not? So the take-home can be quite a bit higher than the hourly wage.

Know it all.

#3453 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:06 AM

I was asked that question as well as a request to hand over 3 years of financials on several bids with COV years ago and other public agencies ie Province of BC, VIHA, Ferries etc. It was part of the scoring and to ensure financial viability and to avoid the possibility of employees being bribed to disclose confidential information.

My reply every time was a statement along the lines of 

'we are a privately owned and managed business and will not disclose financial information regarding our operating business nor the wages of our employees. I will provide letters of reference from our accountants and our bankers to show we are on sound financial footing as well as state that our employees are paid a reasonable living wage supported with full benefits and a generous performance bonus structure' 

Their request for this info was a joke as most of the scoring on the bids were based on lowest price (at least 80%) and lots of these bids were open to business competing from outside the CRD and outside the Province in some situations www.tilma.ca. Wages may be a nice feel good thing to publicize but they play a big role in the setting of the bid price....so I can only hope the scoring reflects the possibility of any changes

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3454 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:10 AM

I was just going to ask if the arena workers are City or private workers.

But those employee make decent tips, do they not? So the take-home can be quite a bit higher than the hourly wage.

they work for a company rg set up for catering mostly.  nobody tips an arena concession worker.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#3455 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:10 AM

The City publishes a list of every vendor whom they purchase $25K or more of goods and services from each year. My reading of the proposed rule is that every one of those vendors who supplies more than $500K in product or services (unless they are a social enterprise or meet one of the other exemptions) will be required to pay every one of their employees  at least $19.39 an hour or else they will no longer be able to supply the City. 

That captures a lot of businesses and I am sure that many have staff that are paid less than $19.39 an hour.

#3456 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:12 AM

for example the banks the city deals with.  

#3457 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:12 AM

Massive sums in tips are collected at the food and drink stands, which are shared among employees working in those positions. People also tip at the restaurant and tip their servers in private boxes.

Know it all.

#3458 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

The City publishes a list of every vendor whom they purchase $25K or more of goods and services from each year. My reading of the proposed rule is that every one of those vendors who supplies more than $500K in product or services (unless they are a social enterprise or meet one of the other exemptions) will be required to pay every one of their employees  at least $19.39 an hour or else they will no longer be able to supply the City. 

That captures a lot of businesses and I am sure that many have staff that are paid less than $19.39 an hour.

Is the City stepping outside of its jurisdiction again? How do they force the supplier to provide payroll info? Is a general statement enough? Or do they require names? What if the company has more than 1 line of business? ie other lines that they dont provide the City? Are these areas also required to disclose?

#3459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:23 AM

Massive sums in tips are collected at the food and drink stands, which are shared among employees working in those positions. People also tip at the restaurant and tip their servers in private boxes.

i've never tipped at the arena concession in my life.  i have at the dedicated beer window at rap though.  hmmmm.

yes restaurant and suite servers do well i bet.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 October 2019 - 07:25 AM.

#3460 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

There is an exemption in the proposed policy which would exclude RG properties from the new rules.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=45846

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users