City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3481 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

We need a strong centrist candidate for the Victoria by-election. Methinks there would be a concentrated voter desire to pick someone who isn't a Ben Isitt acolyte. By-elections always attract huge fields, but I sure hope someone with some bona fides decides to run.

• Awaiting Juno likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3482 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

We need a strong centrist candidate for the Victoria by-election....

Agreed, but I expect another Isitt acolyte has already been chosen to fill the void left by Ms Collins upcoming departure.

#3483 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

This is an important by-election.  A center candidate (and let's face it Stephen Hammond was center) who succeeds can leverage that in the next election and have a reasonable shot at the Mayor's seat, given that on council experience weighs heavily when choosing a person to fulfill that.  I'm just hoping that the field of centre candidates isn't too heavily divided.    

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#3484 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

This is an important by-election.  A center candidate (and let's face it Stephen Hammond was center) who succeeds can leverage that in the next election and have a reasonable shot at the Mayor's seat, given that on council experience weighs heavily when choosing a person to fulfill that.  I'm just hoping that the field of centre candidates isn't too heavily divided.    

So Juno, perfect opportunity, you jump in, get elected, get the toes-in-the-water as it were, then take a run for Mayor.

You got this. 

• Nparker, LJ, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#3485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:26 AM

I wonder if Madoff will give it another shot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3486 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

I wonder if Madoff will give it another shot.

Oh please no. The end of her decades-long encampment from CoV council was the one bright spot from last year's civic election. 

• tedward and VIResident like this

#3487 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:31 AM

Vic News says the byelection will be in February: https://www.vicnews....laurel-collins/

"Helps said the byelection to replace Collins will not take place until February 2020. The long gap is due to the fact that Collins will need to officially resign, which will be followed by a City Hall shut down prompted by the Christmas holiday season."

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 22 October 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#3488 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

Shall we tag on a referendum like in 2010?

#3489 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

Might as well, if we're already spending the money. Figuring out the question is the hard part. The City needs a direction on Crystal Pool. It could ask, "Do you favour borrowing $XX million for the design and construction of a new pool?" That way it would at least know whether voters want it replaced or not, and how much they're willing to pay. But it's hard to see that getting a Yes without a location, design, and firm estimates.

The current NDP/Green/Together council majority is more likely to approve is a question that energizes its base to get out and vote for its candidate(s), without angering other residents enough to rally against it. So I predict a question more like: "Do you favour a ban on all oil tanker traffic in the Strait of Juan de Fuca?"

• Nparker, AndrewReeve, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#3490 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:45 PM

Might as well, if we're already spending the money. Figuring out the question is the hard part. The City needs a direction on Crystal Pool. It could ask, "Do you favour borrowing $XX million for the design and construction of a new pool?" That way it would at least know whether voters want it replaced or not, and how much they're willing to pay. But it's hard to see that getting a Yes without a location, design, and firm estimates.

The current NDP/Green/Together council majority is more likely to approve is a question that energizes its base to get out and vote for its candidate(s), without angering other residents enough to rally against it. So I predict a question more like: "Do you favour a ban on all oil tanker traffic in the Strait of Juan de Fuca?"

A question like that would be in keeping with their desire not to stay within the confines of a municipal council.

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

#3491 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

Vic News says the byelection will be in February: https://www.vicnews....laurel-collins/

"Helps said the byelection to replace Collins will not take place until February 2020. The long gap is due to the fact that Collins will need to officially resign, which will be followed by a City Hall shut down prompted by the Christmas holiday season."

So how long does it take to resign, 5 minutes?

My guess is the real reason is that Alison needs to finish her dissertation and/or wrap up assignments at UVIC first.

Lots of rezoning applications coming through with Helps being the tie breaking vote. I am sure that she is aware of that as well.

Edited by spanky123, 22 October 2019 - 07:10 PM.

#3492 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

Ben's going to allow Christmas?

• AndrewReeve, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3493 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

So how long does it take to resign, 5 minutes?

My guess is the real reason is that Alison needs to finish her dissertation and/or wrap up assignments at UVIC first.

Lots of rezoning applications coming through with Helps being the tie breaking vote. I am sure that she is aware of that as well.

i believe the regulations at the house of commons prohibits a sitting member from holding other office - so i expect she must resign before she is sworn in as an mp  (mostly as a result of conflict of interest regulations)- until then she might as well collect her check from the city - no?

after her resignation date the city must follow the rules fir setting a by-election date

(4)As soon as practicable after a vacancy occurs for which an election under this section is to be held, the local government must

(a)appoint a chief election officer for the election, and

(b)notify the minister of the election.

(4.1)As soon as practicable after the appointment under subsection (4) (a), the chief election officer must notify the BC chief electoral officer of the election.

(5)The chief election officer must set a general voting day for the election, which must be on a Saturday no later than 80 days after the date the chief election officer was appointed.

so, maybe two weeks to appoint a a CEO, plus 80 days makes at most 94 days

lf she is sworn in by lets say oct 30, that makes e-day feb 4

#3494 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:52 AM

she is ok unpaid leave all this week. I’d expect that to continue.

https://www.timescol...p-mp-1.23983851

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2019 - 01:53 AM.

#3495 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:29 AM

I wonder if Chris Coleman is interested in running for council again? 

I think the political categories of left/right/centre break down at the municipal level.  Geoff Young has been tagged as a 'conservative' in a CBC article, but he tends to vote against many development proposals.  Lisa Helps is seen as a 'progressive', but she has strong support in the business community and typically votes to support major developments in the community.  And, in recent years in Vancouver, the 'left-leaning' Vision Vancouver party (headed by a former NDP MLA, Gregor Robertson) oversaw a massive expansion of market condo developments in the city.  

• AndrewReeve and rmpeers like this

#3496 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:46 AM

It's true. Pretty sure Hammond would have been perceived as moderate-left-leaning in almost any other scenario.

Similarly, a mayor who covers up a sexual harassment scandal would not be perceived as progressive by anyone with even the slightest understanding of the word.

But here we are.

Someone needs to push back against the Trump style war-is-peace and freedom-is-slavery cult mentality that has come to dominate Victoria politics in the past few years.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#3497 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

I wonder if Chris Coleman is interested in running for council again? 

I think the political categories of left/right/centre break down at the municipal level.  Geoff Young has been tagged as a 'conservative' in a CBC article, but he tends to vote against many development proposals.  Lisa Helps is seen as a 'progressive', but she has strong support in the business community and typically votes to support major developments in the community.  And, in recent years in Vancouver, the 'left-leaning' Vision Vancouver party (headed by a former NDP MLA, Gregor Robertson) oversaw a massive expansion of market condo developments in the city.  

no left or right necessary - simply pragmatism

i would describe myself as a socially progressive pragmatist,  -  meaning i can add up a simple column of numbers and know how much i have to spend and am able to prioritize what i should be spending it on

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#3498 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:41 PM

I don't think being pro or anti development necessarily has anything to do with left or right anymore in the age of the corporate left
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#3499 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:55 PM

Since Victorians have shown themselves to be turkeys voting for Thanksgiving many times I think the chances of filling the vacancy with pragmatic, reasonably sensible person are vanishingly small.
  • rjag, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#3500 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

https://www.cheknews...ma9ZEvsBLYJDxL0

it looks like Helps and council has finally somewhat figured out the bus passes, well enough to start rolling out the program... and it's still a mess.. kids won't be able to claim a pass till december now (get one a some point at a date not yet decided in November for a december pass), the program isn't for all kids only youth 12-19, you need to go down to city hall with proof of address for said youth (because all youth have mail with their name on it and photo ID) and they don't state if this process is something that will have to be repeated monthly or if they can just get the pass mailed to them once they have proven they are a youth with a victoria address (i really don't understand why they cannot get this connected somehow with the school, if the school can co-ordinate vaccines for kids they surely can co-ordinate with the city these passes)

though i will say.. for the first time that i've read Helps finally admits that parking revenue will not cover the whole cost of these passes “Some of that can be covered Sunday parking revenue, some of it we may need to find other sources of revenue for, other parking revenues,” Helps said"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users