Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3721 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

Ms. Holt's take on the CoV council's current operating strategy was classic. 

• Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#3722 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

Catherine Holt of the chamber of commerce spoke yesterday on CHEK about the councillor-pay survey results. Video: https://www.facebook...639134249467868

At around 3:00 she cites some interesting research. She notes that the Victoria Council has a strategic plan of some 140 items. (That's a "list", she notes, more than a real "plan".) But over the past year, she says, the Council has also passed some 350 additional motions that don't even relate to that strategic plan, each requiring staff time (and, ultimately, more staff). I wonder, how does that compare to other municipalities?

We need Nancy Reagan and he Just Say No Campaign

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#3723 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

We need a council than can truly focus on it's core mandate and start to step away from the dumpster fire they've been steadily adding to over the past 5 years.  They need to look at how what they do can be done most efficiently, and ultimately they should look at the city staff they have and begin to question the roles and responsibilities that fall outside of their municipal mandate.  The amount of resources at their disposal can no longer be considered infinite.

Edited by Awaiting Juno, 04 December 2019 - 12:11 PM.

• Nparker, LJ, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#3724 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

We need a council than can truly focus on its core mandate...

This.

#3725 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:40 PM

Ben said on Al's show this morning that councillors shouldn't be relying on the appreciation of property value as a way to make ends meet.

Remember that Ben bought his house for a song and a dance, it was a court ordered sale under the Civil Forfeiture Act. Maybe he'll donate the 'unearned equity' of his home (his words) to the food bank or something.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3726 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

Ben said on Al's show this morning that councillors shouldn't be relying on the appreciation of property value as a way to make ends meet.

Remember that Ben bought his house for a song and a dance, it was a court ordered sale under the Civil Forfeiture Act. Maybe he'll donate the 'unearned equity' of his home (his words) to the food bank or something.

Is this to mean - Ben went to the bank to remortgage his home and unlike previous years, Ben was unable to do so because it hadn't appreciably appreciated since the last time Ben did so, so now Ben must ask for a massive raise from the tax payer to finance Ben's chosen lifestyle?  What about those councillors that aren't property owners, how is it they've managed to make ends meet?  Is it possible that Ben is going to have to re-evaluate that lifestyle, and **GASP** get a real job?    

• Nparker likes this

#3727 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

Is this to mean - Ben went to the bank to remortgage his home and unlike previous years, Ben was unable to do so because it hadn't appreciably appreciated since the last time Ben did so, so now Ben must ask for a massive raise from the tax payer to finance Ben's chosen lifestyle?  What about those councillors that aren't property owners, how is it they've managed to make ends meet?  Is it possible that Ben is going to have to re-evaluate that lifestyle, and **GASP** get a real job?    

And who on council, other than Ben, is relying on appreciation of home values to make ends meet?

• Nparker likes this

#3728 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

Right, what exactly does that mean?

Isitt also said this raise isn't for him, that he doesn't need it. It's for other councillors.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3729 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:02 PM

...Isitt also said this raise isn't for him, that he doesn't need it. It's for other councillors.

Yeah, right.

#3730 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

Ben also rented or rents out at least one suite in his house.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3731 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:16 PM

It's hard to to read the survey result as anything other than a rebuke of the current council's track record to date.

And re. Ben's suggestion that it merely reflects a bunch of people from who knows where who don't like the current council, I would ask: if a lot of people think you're doing a great job, then why didn't they also jump at the chance to make their views heard?
  • Nparker likes this

#3732 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

The man has no shame
  • Love the rock and davidN like this

#3733 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:36 PM

We need a council than can truly focus on it's core mandate and start to step away from the dumpster fire they've been steadily adding to over the past 5 years.  They need to look at how what they do can be done most efficiently, and ultimately they should look at the city staff they have and begin to question the roles and responsibilities that fall outside of their municipal mandate.  The amount of resources at their disposal can no longer be considered infinite.

MEMO TO: Ben

Less theory. More reality.

• pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#3734 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:03 PM

Further to Catherine Holt's comments on CHEK, this was in today's BizNews, the Chamber's newsletter:

Victoria Council's 'motion sickness' self-induced 
The public has made it clear that a request by Victoria Councillors to have their pay increased by 55% is out of line. More than 86% of the 5,110 people who participated in an online survey “strongly disagreed” with increasing councillors’ pay to $70,100 a year — the median income of a city staffer.

Clearly, there is a lot wrong with this approach. The Grumpy Taxpayers called it boneheaded and the editorial departments of local media have called out the idea as “tone deaf” and one of numerous “follies.”

The Chamber has been vocal that a better solution is for Victoria council to focus on the many critical decisions needed to help staff run the city effectively. In the past year, Victoria council has made a whopping 752 motions and The Chamber estimates almost 350 were related to issues outside of Victoria's 2019-2022 Strategic Plan.

The next step is for council to accept the survey results and focus on the vital work needed to run the city.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 04 December 2019 - 08:03 PM.

• Hotel Mike, Awaiting Juno and Teardrop like this

#3735 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:44 PM

...The next step is for council to accept the survey results and focus on the vital work needed to run the city...

I won't be holding my breath for this. This council believes their dogmatic insistence on saving the world trumps practicality every time.

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#3736 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

looking at the amount of motions in the past year those numbers seem a tad staggering...to me it looks like they are trying to to way too much.. and when you consider they have 3 more years.. it's down right scary how much damage they can do... they probably can't even keep track of all the motions...

then add that in the past year or so they have been told multiple times from the province that they are overstepping and need to stay in their own lane

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#3737 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:45 AM

I see in budgeting there is some type of $100k ask from the coalition to end homelessness. why do they deserve to keep getting bucketloads of Victoria taxpayer money? what have they achieved?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#3738 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

I see in budgeting there is some type of $100k ask from the coalition to end homelessness. why do they deserve to keep getting bucketloads of Victoria taxpayer money? what have they achieved?

My response would be, "Sorry, bro, I don't have any change on me..."

But seriously, I think we can all agree that reducing homelessness is a worthy goal, but I think we'd also agree that there's no visible signs things are getting better and plenty of signs that things are getting worse.

I feel terrible for the people I pass on the street every day in seemingly increasing numbers and look forward to the day when someone will point to the misnamed Coalition as well as our mayor and council, and point out that the emperor has no clothes. Stop using these people to score political points (Bring it on?? FFS!) or raise funds. Do something different. Christ.

#3739 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:32 AM

...I think we'd also agree that there's no visible signs things are getting better and plenty of signs that things are getting worse...

It definitely is getting worse. Perhaps someone can snap a picture of the new iron fence that has gone up here in the past week or so.

Capture.PNG

I don't blame the property owner. A few weeks ago I made the mistake of walking along this block around 9:00 PM and it had a distinctly "Vancouver downtown eastside" vibe about it.

#3740 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:50 AM

It definitely is getting worse. Perhaps someone can snap a picture of the new iron fence that has gone up here in the past week or so.

Capture.PNG

I don't blame the property owner. A few weeks ago I made the mistake of walking along this block around 9:00 PM and it had a distinctly "Vancouver downtown eastside" vibe about it.

I saw this on facebook via Sidewalking Victoria.  People love to slam businesses that put up installations that discourage loitering and damage of their property.  What they don't see is the business owner coming in early so that they can clean up the mess day in and day out - often washing puke and other excrements from the walk.  They don't see that same business owner being called to let them know that their window has been busted, and that they'll have to make yet another claim on their ever escalating insurance.  They don't see that business owner agonizing over whether or not they should just leave the neighbourhood entirely - whether it's time to call it a day and send their staff on their ways.  They don't see the businesses staff members worried about their own safety.  They don't see this business owner writing hefty property tax cheques and paying to have their business licensed to operate within in Victoria, and wondering what exactly they are getting in exchange for their contributions to this city.  They aren't getting adequate policing.  They aren't getting a daily clean up service in front of their place of work.  They aren't getting subsidies to help them protect their property - and this is the choice that is left.

We need to enable police and bylaw enforcement to enforce the laws that we have in place and to demand better from all of our citizens.  If we don't want iron fences and steel shutters, if we want people to feel safe and welcome on our streets, then its time to call BS on the organizations that are enabling people to take advantage of our city.  I absolutely want a city that is compassionate - and we can have that city, however, we need to quit wasting money and we need to find compassion for the business owner, compassion for the tourist, and compassion for average citizen.  We need to find ways that tell people quite clearly, compassion isn't always a hand out, rather its a hand up. We also need to quite clearly say, if you're going to make your home in Victoria, we're going to expect that you'll respect this city and the other people who live here.

• Mike K., Nparker, LJ and 6 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users