Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3981 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

Now here's a climate champion suggestion people can get behind. Less gassy emissions all 'round.

They actually tweeted that? Gold.
  • Nparker and Kungsberg like this

#3982 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

Hoping for less performance artists and less people whose surname is "The Clown." Also hoping that actual proper progressive/practical (NDP Classic) candidates don't get branded as fascists.

#3983 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:08 AM

It’s a complicated issue, for sure, so one can see why it would require extra time.

Let’a not forget Plant is a full time teacher AND he bikes to work in the snow. Plenty of time ;)

Colin is on leave as a teacher from about 70% of his duties

#3984 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

Thanks to a string of selfies and tweets, we have the agenda for our Mayor and City Manager's Ottawa trip. They met with a person at "the western desk" in the PMOs office, a parliamentary secretary at the Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans, the Minister of Middle Class Prosperity (bet you didn't know we had one of those), and the Minister of Climate Change (go figure). Great use (waste) of taxpayer dollars. Aside from showing off her Victoria 3.0 booklet, no mention of any goals or aspirations for the visit let alone results.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#3985 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

I call Fairfield home - and there's an issue that really needs to be effectively addressed.  The Dallas Road waterfront is becoming a defacto RV ground, and those who are living in their vehicles are abusing the area by leaving behind garbage and human excrement.  It would also seem that there's been an increase in property crime in the area, and the feeling of security has been reduced.  Those who have brought the issue up to council have been informed that bylaw enforcement has been told to neither ticket nor tow those who are violating the bylaw.  Access to the park by legitimate park users has been negatively impacted.  I'd like to ask those here to take a moment and sign the petition I've started to have this issue addressed by council.  Thank you in advance.

• Nparker, rjag, DavidL and 2 others like this

#3986 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:27 PM

I call Fairfield home - and there's an issue that really needs to be effectively addressed.  The Dallas Road waterfront is becoming a defacto RV ground, and those who are living in their vehicles are abusing the area by leaving behind garbage and human excrement.  It would also seem that there's been an increase in property crime in the area, and the feeling of security has been reduced.  Those who have brought the issue up to council have been informed that bylaw enforcement has been told to neither ticket nor tow those who are violating the bylaw.  Access to the park by legitimate park users has been negatively impacted.  I'd like to ask those here to take a moment and sign the petition I've started to have this issue addressed by council.  Thank you in advance.

It may be possible to sue the city for NOT enforcing the bylaw.

#3987 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

Watched a woman hopping back to her van, doing up her pants, 2 weeks ago from the bushes at the corner of Cook & Douglas, early saturday morning.  right next to a sign "no overnight parking."

#3988 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:32 PM

Those who have brought the issue up to council have been informed that bylaw enforcement has been told to neither ticket nor tow those who are violating the bylaw. 

Was this a minuted decision by council? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3989 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

^ This is worth a presentation to council at one of their meetings.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#3990 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:56 PM

...The Dallas Road waterfront is becoming a defacto RV ground, and those who are living in their vehicles are abusing the area by leaving behind garbage and human excrement.  It would also seem that there's been an increase in property crime in the area, and the feeling of security has been reduced.  Those who have brought the issue up to council have been informed that bylaw enforcement has been told to neither ticket nor tow those who are violating the bylaw...

I'm shocked - not.   :whyme: 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...icles-1.4052188

• A Girl is No one likes this

#3991 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

I'm shocked - not. :whyme:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...icles-1.4052188

"People need to sleep, particularly if they're going to get up to go to work in the morning," Helps said.

Really? Tell me more, Dr. Science, about this magical phenomenon...
  • aastra, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#3992 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:25 AM

those that drive to work in the morning are free to arrange overnight parking on private property or in campgrounds etc.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#3993 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:31 AM

Goldstream camping is $13/night. that’s cheaper than any apartment. if these workers can not afford that then they can not afford Victoria.
  • Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#3994 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:41 AM

That CBC article linked above is 3 years old. The “holes” in the ground have been filled.

The vacancy rate is still below 3%.

The hobos are still there. Fake news.
  • Teardrop likes this

#3995 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:47 AM

That CBC article linked above is 3 years old. The “holes” in the ground have been filled.

The vacancy rate is still below 3%.

The hobos are still there. Fake news.

If you never count secondary suites in your vacancy numbers then it is unlikely that you will ever get above 3%. My anecdotal information is that people coming to the city are not having difficulty finding places to stay.

• Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#3996 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:10 AM

1.0% vacancy among managed, purpose-built inventory. But the secondary market is anyone’s guess as it’s not tracked with any serious degree of accuracy.

There are plenty of basement suites out there, that’s for sure. And what the run up in purpose built rentals has done is relegate many of them to vacant status or only appealing to those who would not pass a traditional rental application clearing process.

Meanwhile the good stuff, newly built and in desirable locations, is well below 1.0%. Closer to 0.1 and 0.2%.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3997 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

He just can't stop from inserting himself (and his sycophantic followers on council) in matters completely outside the CoV's purview.

Victoria Coun. Ben Isitt says stepping into the Coastal GasLink dispute in northern B.C. was the right thing for council to do. A Liberal MLA and former elected Aboriginal leader, however, says “absolutely not.”...In response, the First Nations LNG Alliance, a collective of First Nations in support of LNG development in B.C., wrote its own motion: “A declaration on the audacity of a city government to meddle in the affairs of First Nations, having done nothing to look into the complexity of the issue.” The declaration argued Victoria council has no right to interfere in the democratic processes of First Nations or “meddle in an issue that is for the Wet’suwet’en people alone to decide.”...

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24064522

• Bernard likes this

#3998 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

There are plenty of basement suites out there, that’s for sure. And what the run up in purpose built rentals has done is relegate many of them to vacant status or only appealing to those who would not pass a traditional rental application clearing process.

True although if you are a good tenant then I hear lots of stories about folks willing to rent out their basement or an extra suite for very good deals. For a lot of people having a low maintenance, respectful tenant as a mortgage helper is very attractive and they are willing to give up some rental income in exchange for minimal drama.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#3999 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

I think the most compassionate thing to do is to put an end to this full stop.  By allowing sheltering in parks and sleeping in vehicles, we are contributing to the very problem that we'd prefer wasn't here.  If it wasn't an option, what would people do?  That's the question that gets asked, where would these people go?  First, we might have a bit of pain, people needing low wage work might find themselves having to either pay more for that work, or alternatively finding ways to provide housing for their workforce directly.  Some of these people might have to reconcile with their families - some of these people might have to move - some of these people might have to get room mates. Ultimately, all of those things might be infinitely better than what they're doing now.  

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 2 others like this

#4000 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

He just can't stop from inserting himself (and his sycophantic followers on council) in matters completely outside the CoV's purview.

Dare I say it..... council has acted in pure colonialist fashion....😋
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users