Try finding someone stable that says they voted for Isitt

#4202 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:24 PM

https://www.oakbayne...UHvd4ejFB_HUwYo

Petition calls for suspension of Victoria councillor Ben Isitt

Lets see if this can pull more than 14,000 signatures!!!

• A Girl is No one likes this

#4203 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:39 AM

Lets see if this can pull more than 14,000 signatures!!!

If here was an election today, Ben might very well get 20,000 votes. I think that people who underestimate his support do so at their own peril.

Ben, TV and Mayor Helps are proxies for people who blame white men, the tech industry and business owners for the perceived lack of equality in their lives. The MSM and social media has convinced them that a useless degree from a second rate university should entitle them to a luxury apartment on the waterfront and the failure to achieve that is someone else's fault. Much like Trump's antics south of the border gain cheers from his supporters, any time Isitt or Helps takes a swipe at the "establishment" they are cheered.

Outrage isn't the answer as it simply emboldens them and hardens their support. The solution is to stop patronizing businesses, stop donating to charities and stop volunteering for groups that support these clowns. 

• Nparker, rjag, SimonH and 4 others like this

#4204 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:08 AM

If here was an election today, Ben might very well get 20,000 votes. I think that people who underestimate his support do so at their own peril.

Ben, TV and Mayor Helps are proxies for people who blame white men, the tech industry and business owners for the perceived lack of equality in their lives. The MSM and social media has convinced them that a useless degree from a second rate university should entitle them to a luxury apartment on the waterfront and the failure to achieve that is someone else's fault. Much like Trump's antics south of the border gain cheers from his supporters, any time Isitt or Helps takes a swipe at the "establishment" they are cheered.

Outrage isn't the answer as it simply emboldens them and hardens their support. The solution is to stop patronizing businesses, stop donating to charities and stop volunteering for groups that support these clowns.

But again, even if you take them at their word that they want to improve people's housing prospects, what have they actually done?

I think their only idea is to try and cram a bunch of rental housing into this neighbourhood or that; but, as always, I think they just talk in feel-good catch-phrases without ever effecting real positive change.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#4205 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

Being bullish on rental housing and tamping down speculation with the AirBnB restrictions have helped, no doubt. I think they've been successful with the limited tools in the toolbox. This is not meant to erase Ben's many negatives.

• rjag and John M. like this

#4206 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

...tamping down speculation with the AirBnB restrictions have helped, no doubt...

Evidence?

#4207 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:07 AM

There is definitely a weird bubble of people who think that Isitt does a good job. I have never met anyone who takes him seriously or has anything good to say about him. It is a strange phenomenon indeed. Possibly they just check his name because they've heard of him?

You can't call it a bubble if it is almost 15k people. You can dislike his policies, you can hate the man, but this weird denial that lots of people share Ben's very frequently expressed beliefs is just that, denial.

• Rob Randall and Brayvehart like this

#4208 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:04 AM

You can't call it a bubble if it is almost 15k people. You can dislike his policies, you can hate the man, but this weird denial that lots of people share Ben's very frequently expressed beliefs is just that, denial.

I wouldn't call it denial, more like serious concern. Isitt's policies and ideology are detrimental to our society. He's a populist in the same vein as are many other charismatic narcissists.  

There are many examples out there, and on the totem pole he would be quite close to the bottom compared to the Mansons, Jones, Moonies. In the political sphere he is like Corbyn, Sanders and even Trump. He has to keep reminding everyone about his 14,000 votes, that its the corportae media and capitalists that are plotting against him and thats why his ideas fail.

Its never him or his bizarre ideology thats at fault. Its the Police, its alt-right white supremacists, old men who shout at the sky etc etc....this dismissive and debasing style of rhetoric is designed to attack and mute the person not the subject. We all do it but there are some that live by its doctrine. 

So no, I dont think its denial, its concern that he is causing more harm than good. And when he surrounds himself by padding the deck at the council table it becomes increasingly dangerous. 

• Mike K., Nparker, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#4209 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

Isitt's policies and ideology are detrimental to our society.

This is your opinion. One not shared by a lot of people

• Brayvehart likes this

#4210 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

VV is a bubble within a bubble.  Outside of this screwball town Issit wouldn't have a chance

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#4211 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

...Outside of this screwball town Issit wouldn't have a chance

Imagine how much of the vote he would get in Langford?

• GaryRanson likes this

#4212 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:22 AM

Keep in mind a lot of the college-age voters that support Ben weren't even born when he entered the local scene as an activist. He's been at this a long time and has worked hard to develop that base over the last quarter century.

#4213 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

I'd also suspect that he gets a fair few votes from little old ladies who complained to council about their neighbor's hedge violating a by-law and Councilor Issit called or emailed them back. For all his failings, he does take a fair amout of time to answer calls/emails.
I'd bet a good portion of these people have no idea what his ideology is, but had a positive experience with him so they'll vote for him.
  • Rob Randall and John M. like this

#4214 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

I have little doubt a not insignificant portion of his support comes from an ill-informed electorate.

• mbjj likes this

#4215 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

This is your opinion. One not shared by a lot of people

A lot? Really? LOL

Are you speaking from a position of knowledge? Authority?

As noted in subsequent posts here, I have no doubt he is living in his own echo chamber and he's a hero in his own head, however there is no way he would be elected in OB, Langford, Saanich, CS etc

Edited by rjag, 21 February 2020 - 02:27 PM.

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#4216 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

Being bullish on rental housing and tamping down speculation with the AirBnB restrictions have helped, no doubt. I think they've been successful with the limited tools in the toolbox. This is not meant to erase Ben's many negatives.

From what I read rental prices continue to increase so it looks like not much is 'working'. Makes sense, the choice for most people isn't short vs long term rental. The choice is short term rental vs selling to someone flush from Vancouver or Toronto who wants to retire here. Even at $1,100 a month for a studio, owners are not making money and rent controls set to 1/2 the cost of real inflation means that they never will. Short term rentals bridges that gap, without that then best to take the money and run.

The real losers with the Airbnb ban are those in the hospitality industry. Tourism is on the decline as families choose other locations. Wait until the country starts to see a recession and then it will really hurt. 

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#4217 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:48 PM

Ah, thanks, had not been following the Parking thread. (Unfortunately the Feb. 5 audio clip has disappeared from CFAX's archived audio page, https://www.iheartra...cfax-1070/audio.) If the mayor's misplaced blame is the cause of Fraser Work leaving, that's a disaster. Work is a standup guy, and one of the first directors of engineering at the City in quite a while who actually knew how to design, build and operate stuff, instead of a bureaucrat who happened to have an engineering degree. He will be hard to replace.

I don't think there is any evidence that Fraser was forced out or left because of the Mayor's actions. It is worth noting though that according to the Tofino and Victoria financial statements, the role of public works manager/director drops from about $185K a year in Victoria to $95K a year in Tofino.

I would think that with the bike lanes fiasco and the public blame from the Mayor on this issue, this is the last stop for Mr. Work.  He is probably getting at least a partial pension from the military so he will survive.

Edited by spanky123, 21 February 2020 - 02:48 PM.

#4218 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

A lot? Really? LOL

Are you speaking from a position of knowledge? Authority?

The numbers don't lie. You seem to be saying the most popular politician in Victoria's history is somehow unpopular.

I don't like him much but your twisted logic invites comment.

Edited by Rob Randall, 21 February 2020 - 02:52 PM.

• Coreyburger, Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#4219 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

The numbers don't lie. You seem to be saying the most popular politician in Victoria's history is somehow unpopular.

I don't like him much but your twisted logic invites comment.

Nothing twisted, but thats your opinion.

in the last 20+ years in all 13 municipalities there have been 2 politicians that have been front and centre for controversy, Helps and Isitt. Between them they have stepped out of their lane on many occasions, wasted large amounts of taxpayer $'s on frivolous lawsuits, caused more division and disruption than any other politician in this City, made the City the laughing stock on the world stage on several occasions etc etc.

I'm not talking petty bike lane crap either, you know fine well of what I speak. I dont give a rats a$$ that he got 14,000 votes, it doesnt make him a better politician, the city isnt better off, he's not smarter or wiser...he just got 14,000 votes. 

What policy has he proposed that you can say the city is better off for it?

So maybe I'm twisted in your mind, but far better that than be an acolyte of a narcissist 

• NotHudsonMack and Midnightly like this

#4220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

I dont give a rats a$$ that he got 14,000 votes, it doesn't make him a better politician, the city isn't better off, he's not smarter or wiser...he just got 14,000 votes.

:thumbsup:

No one said pandering to a particular base isn't an astute maneuver. It seems to have worked quite well for a certain pumpkin-faced, reality TV star south of our border. That doesn't mean this sort of politicking is good for the future of democracy or even the general welfare of the masses.

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users