Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5101 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

You know things are bad when Helps sounds like a voice of reason. 

• Taj and rmpeers like this

#5102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

oh those recordings were painful to listen to. 

And believe it or not that's par for the course. The questions some councillors raise and their misguided fumbles through motions make you wonder just how much forethought and research goes into some of their opinions and vis-a-vis agendas.

@Taj, right on. Adam is a media hero in our parts and I learn so much just from tuning in to his shows. He also doesn't hold back, and today we saw the man's raw emotion really come through. In studio you feel that emotion, too; it's not an act.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

Indeed. She's a good mayor at the council chamber. We may not always see eye-to-eye with her but credit is due where it's due.

Young, unfortunately, is sounding more exasperated than before. He knows his opinion holds no water at council meetings, and I can't imagine he'll want to run in the next election (I hope he proves me wrong) but without him to at least voice an opinion I do feel we'd have even more out-of-left-field pursuits by the current council.

• rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

...Adam is a media hero in our parts and I learn so much just from tuning in to his shows. He also doesn't hold back, and today we saw the man's raw emotion really come through. In studio you feel that emotion, too; it's not an act.

It's nice that at least one member of the local media is willing to challenge the poorly imagined and often destructive decisions of the CoV council.

• Taj likes this

#5105 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:52 AM

Yes, well done.  I tuned in as well and had a listen.  I didn't realize that Mike K of radio fame was you.

The whole segment just made me so angry, honestly. I couldn't believe I found myself agreeing with Helps at one point, although I have to give her credit where credit is due - she proposed something that was fairly logical. The fact that the motion was defeated by what seemed like a rinkydink follow-the-leader vote was disgraceful.  From the sound clip, it sounded like Dubow and Isitt were enthusiastically voting against it and then Potts and Loveday felt like they better support their buddies.

Maybe I'm just overly cynical.  :confused:

Dubow/Isitt/Potts/Loveday more or less swing every single council motion. If a TV candidate wins the by-election this group doesn't need anyone else to do whatever they want at Council meetings.

• rmpeers likes this

#5106 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:52 AM

That was my exact thought!  I think it may be the first and last time that I wholeheartedly agree with her.  I actually felt bad for her when she sounded so flummoxed.  The whole thing was pretty unbelievable.

#5107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

...She's a good mayor at the council chamber...

If only her savvy in the council chamber translated into good governance for the residents of Victoria, but sadly it does not.

• Hotel Mike and Taj like this

#5108 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

Indeed. She's a good mayor at the council chamber. We may not always see eye-to-eye with her but credit is due where it's due.

Young, unfortunately, is sounding more exasperated than before. He knows his opinion holds no water at council meetings, and I can't imagine he'll want to run in the next election (I hope he proves me wrong) but without him to at least voice an opinion I do feel we'd have even more out-of-left-field pursuits by the current council.

I suspect this is exactly why Coleman didn't run in this past election. He just got fed up with the way things were heading (Council acting more on personal beliefs than facts)

• Mike K., Nparker, NotHudsonMack and 1 other like this

#5109 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:56 AM

And believe it or not that's par for the course. The questions some councillors raise and their misguided fumbles through motions make you wonder just how much forethought and research goes into some of their opinions and vis-a-vis agendas.

@Taj, right on. Adam is a media hero in our parts and I learn so much just from tuning in to his shows. He also doesn't hold back, and today we saw the man's raw emotion really come through. In studio you feel that emotion, too; it's not an act.

I haven't really sat down and listened to any of the council recordings. It is maybe unfair to judge an individual based on a clip of one performance, but Potts sounded completely out of depth.  I remarked to a family member that she sounded as if she had been dropped into the council meeting with no prior briefing or preparation.  It was painful.

I could feel that emotion coming through from Adam today, so I can only imagine what it's like being in a studio with him.  I felt bad for Anna, and for anybody else in that position.  I go to the park almost daily, as I live in the general vicinity of the last tent city, and I can well imagine why Anna feels the way she does.

• Mike K., Nparker and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#5110 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

I haven't really sat down and listened to any of the council recordings. It is maybe unfair to judge an individual based on a clip of one performance, but Potts sounded completely out of depth.  I remarked to a family member that she sounded as if she had been dropped into the council meeting with no prior briefing or preparation.  It was painful.

I could feel that emotion coming through from Adam today, so I can only imagine what it's like being in a studio with him.  I felt bad for Anna, and for anybody else in that position.  I go to the park almost daily, as I live in the general vicinity of the last tent city, and I can well imagine why Anna feels the way she does.

Potts/Dubow are OUT OF THEIR ELEMENT

• Nparker, NotHudsonMack, mbjj and 1 other like this

#5111 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:00 AM

Potts/Dubow are OUT OF THEIR ELEMENT

I thought I'd give her the benefit of the doubt in case anybody accused me of being overly judgmental based on one clip.....glad to see my impression was likely accurate.  For the record, I totally agree with you.

#5112 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:25 PM

As for Chris Coleman, he would have had to be blind not to realize he would not have been re-elected against the TV slate. He was smart to choose not to run last time.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5113 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

it seems the city has found a way to hand out their seedlings... looks like it's only for families who have kids that attend sd61 though....with first dibs going to families who use the meal program pick up at the schools

Attached Images

• plants.jpg

#5114 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:20 PM

So much with not competing with the garden stores...
Why pay for seedlings at the store when I already pay for these. I’ll get these.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 22 May 2020 - 07:21 PM.

• Nparker and Taj like this

#5115 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

Only one of those four locations is even in Victoria!

• rjag, NotHudsonMack, Daveyboy and 3 others like this

#5116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:28 PM

Only one of those four locations is even in Victoria!

Nice to know my tax dollars are helping (LOL) to feed the hungry in other municipalities.

#5117 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:39 AM

Nice to know my tax dollars are helping (LOL) to feed the hungry in other municipalities.

Welcome to Victoria, where we look after everyone except our own.  Everyone else's homeless.  Everyone else's gardens.  Everyone else's jobs.  Further, we are committed to remain dysfunctional enough, that we'll allow people from other municipalities to sit on our council AND we'll never get to a place where any of those other municipalities want to amalgamate with us.  After all, why?  If you can get access to another city's resources without having to contribute or commit, why would you?  

Meanwhile Langford actually imposes two prices for their rec centres - one for Langford residents, and one for others.  Oak Bay ensures that it's municipal garden/dump is reserved for only Oak Bay Residents.  The only program that we've managed to keep for ourselves, is the free bus passes for youth - and even that is debatable (I wonder how many are resold to others).

• Nparker, Daveyboy, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#5118 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:10 AM

Welcome to Victoria, where we look after everyone except our own.  Everyone else's homeless.  Everyone else's gardens.  Everyone else's jobs.  Further, we are committed to remain dysfunctional enough, that we'll allow people from other municipalities to sit on our council AND we'll never get to a place where any of those other municipalities want to amalgamate with us.  After all, why?  If you can get access to another city's resources without having to contribute or commit, why would you?  

Meanwhile Langford actually imposes two prices for their rec centres - one for Langford residents, and one for others.  Oak Bay ensures that it's municipal garden/dump is reserved for only Oak Bay Residents.  The only program that we've managed to keep for ourselves, is the free bus passes for youth - and even that is debatable (I wonder how many are resold to others).

I'd like to add 'everyone else's' $105 million dollar bridge.  

We are on a track that is beyond 'affordable', not just for City of Victoria residents 'proper'; for the average south Vancouver Island municipality from Sidney to Saanich homeowner.  Looking at the bottom line on various balance sheets out there and albeit a 'speculated' tax lift in coming years to cover this pandemic, there are but a few municipalities that I could find of the 13 that may weather this with affordable tax increases in coming years, Sooke and Langford for example.  The rest of them are in serious trouble in terms of what they will have to pass on to the taxpayer and the taxpayer not being able to afford it.  

I get it that nobody wants to 'amalgamate' with this current lot on Victoria council.  Fact is when 'amalgamating' voters actually 'vote' in a new Council etc. and spreading the pain around a much larger geo area, dismantling several 'empires' (municipalities) will save the taxpayer. 

• NotHudsonMack, Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

#5119 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

My plan is to get one of those Victoria seedlings and plant it in my Saanich garden and eventually I will post a video of myself with a champagne glass in one hand eating a tomato with juice dribbling down my chin as I say, "Suck it, Victoria".

• Nparker, Greg, mbjj and 2 others like this

#5120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

Champagne with tomatoes? How gauche.
  • Taj likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users