Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5181 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:39 AM

If Trump can celebrate Mexican heritage with a fast food taco bowl I say yes.

#5182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

But Trump isn’t shaming people for dressing up in ethnic garb on Halloween.

The tortilla soup thing has yielded a smorgasbord of jokes behind closed doors. The hypocrisy does not go unnoticed, believe me.
  • sukika and Taj like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5183 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

Is this the only group of people he doesn't shame?

Edited by Ismo07, 28 May 2020 - 09:04 AM.

• Greg likes this

#5184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

It just could be.
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5185 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:09 AM

The tortilla soup thing has yielded a smorgasbord of jokes behind closed doors. The hypocrisy does not go unnoticed, believe me.

The Swedes would like a word...

• Mike K., Nparker and sukika like this

#5186 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

Any news at all on the stalled out byelection?  I know it's not veggie starters, and that governance seems to be non-essential by some political types, but really?

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#5187 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:46 AM

A candidate told me they've heard the byelection is not likely until the autumn at the earliest, and maybe not until 2021.

#5188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

And once again, silence from the candidates.

Why aren’t they using the current going ons to build their platforms and social media audiences? That’s free marketing potential for them when the by-election does come around. Build up your followers. Get out in front of the mic and say something. People want to hear from you.
  • Nparker, NotHudsonMack and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

#5189 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:01 AM

I guess the current bunch are perfectly happy to use covid as an excuse to ensure no pesky dissenting voices show up on council. Just like with the Beacon Hill Park closures. Pandemic is proving to be a very handy excuse.

Edited by rmpeers, 29 May 2020 - 08:01 AM.

• Nparker, Spy Black and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#5190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:04 AM

what happened to the fort street post office?

all kidding aside. isn’t the city facing a major revenue shortfall shortly (mostly from parking revenue loss). what is the city cutting to match the revenue shortfall?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2020 - 08:05 AM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#5191 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

I guess the current bunch are perfectly happy to use covid as an excuse to ensure no pesky dissenting voices show up on council. Just like with the Beacon Hill Park closures. Pandemic is proving to be a very handy excuse.

You know, bypassing discussion/community feedback in 1919 would've been understandable, but it's deplorable with the technology available to us today.

• Nparker, sebberry, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#5192 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:52 PM

what happened to the fort street post office?

all kidding aside. isn’t the city facing a major revenue shortfall shortly (mostly from parking revenue loss). what is the city cutting to match the revenue shortfall?

Who knows, but they decided to take money from COVID-19 not killing much so far to spend on hotels for the Beacon Hill tenters. Maybe city hall knows better and we're actually going to be fine??

https://www.cheknews...he-city-671502/

Sigh. Seems like Young is the only one left with any sense. I regret taking a chance on Dubow... the hivemind is too strong. 

Edited by Casual Kev, 29 May 2020 - 08:52 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#5193 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

You know, bypassing discussion/community feedback in 1919 would've been understandable, but it's deplorable with the technology available to us today.

also considering that there is no new cases on the island in the last month, now would be a great time to consider starting the election back up... waiting to fall when cold and flu season starts up and people are paranoid  is a foolish idea

they can offer everyone a mask as they enter, a squirt of hand sanitizer

• sebberry, Awaiting Juno, Teardrop and 1 other like this

#5194 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:21 AM

And bring your own pen! 

#5195 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

Who knows, but they decided to take money from COVID-19 not killing much so far to spend on hotels for the Beacon Hill tenters. Maybe city hall knows better and we're actually going to be fine??

https://www.cheknews...he-city-671502/

Sigh. Seems like Young is the only one left with any sense. I regret taking a chance on Dubow... the hivemind is too strong.

From same CHEK news piece:

“ Coun. Marianne Alto raised concerns about taking away spaces needed for housing the homeless in other regions if they were to be filled with Victoria residents.”

Seriously? So Victoria has a duty to house all homeless from the entire country at our own expense but heavens forbid if any were to be housed outside of Victoria (even if paid for by Victoria taxpayers) because it would take spaces away from people who are homeless outside of Victoria??? Is Alto for real? Or is she just concerned that this might bring some homeless closer to where SHE lives?
  • kjf, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#5196 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:43 AM

did even one councillor consider whether hotels will take them? most hotels are at least $75/night and more. for less than troublesome guests most of the time. that’s over $2100/mo. or 150 people for two months.

also did council not consider why bc housing is not having an easy time finding units? how/why will the city be more successful?

#5197 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

A question that hasn’t been answered is whether those hotels will be paying tourism Victoria hotel taxes, charged back to the City, for those rooms.

Know it all.

#5198 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Maybe the city just plans to rent single hotel rooms and not be forthcoming about who will be staying in the suite?

#5199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:52 AM

Maybe the city just plans to rent single hotel rooms and not be forthcoming about who will be staying in the suite?

Are you suggesting the CoV would be less than 100% honest about its intentions? For shame!  <_<

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#5200 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:19 PM

My daughter and I were discussing these hotel plans and that's what we were wondering. Will eventual other guests know who's in the room next to them? And all these support staff. Where are they going to come from?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users