Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5241 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:13 AM

but now they have "lived experience" on their resume.

I wonder if the leaders at City hall or our "poverty pimps", after they stop high fiving themselves for showing "the man" how it is, stop to realize the broader impact of incidents like this. The owners of Andrew Sheret have contributed enormously to this City over the past 100+ years. Thousands of people have held jobs with them and I am sure that their donations to various local causes over the years are into the millions. How motivated do you think they are going to be to continue to support a City and groups that give them and other businesses the middle finger?

• Nparker, rjag, mbjj and 1 other like this

#5242 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:38 AM

I wonder if the leaders at City hall or our "poverty pimps", after they stop high fiving themselves for showing "the man" how it is, stop to realize the broader impact of incidents like this. The owners of Andrew Sheret have contributed enormously to this City over the past 100+ years. Thousands of people have held jobs with them and I am sure that their donations to various local causes over the years are into the millions. How motivated do you think they are going to be to continue to support a City and groups that give them and other businesses the middle finger?

This  :thumbsup: a politics of division cannot build a community - you cannot make those who are expected to give the most feel as though their contributions don't matter, or that their needs also don't matter or eventually they'll throw up their hands and lock down their wallets.  If all it ever is, is give, give, give - and there isn't even a basic nod to keeping private property secure, but rather an aggressive move to defund rather than defend our local law enforcement. At some point there'll be a pretty big push back with small businesses choosing to go elsewhere (shrinking the tax base or increasing the demand from property owners while reducing local employment levels).  Further, if the poverty pimps can't begin to show that they are working to actually solve the problem (by providing access to treatment and moving people OUT of homelessness and into self-sustaining lives), tax payers and donors aren't going to be so keen to continue to fund programs that are seen to make problems worse.  

• Nparker, LJ, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#5243 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:49 AM

...you cannot make those who are expected to give the most feel as though their contributions don't matter, or that their needs also don't matter or eventually they'll throw up their hands and lock down their wallets...

Or, as I grow increasingly likely to do once I am retired, move out of the CoV.

#5244 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:12 AM

^

Once you retire you're supposed to move to James Bay, silly.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:36 AM

Once you retire you're supposed to move to James Bay, silly.

At this point, I am much more likely to retire to Sidney. Then I'll feel young.

#5246 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

At this point, I am much more likely to retire to Sidney. Then I'll feel young.

Sorry, we're full

Regards, Sidney.

• Rob Randall, rjag and Matt R. like this

#5247 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

Sorry, we're full

Regards, Sidney.

Then why do you keep building more condos?  ;)

• SimonH and Awaiting Juno like this

#5248 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

Looks like we are going to see a renewed effort to defund the police in various parts of the country that I am sure that the CoV council will jump on;

While some have called for an outright abolition of police forces, others favour reducing police budgets so that their work focuses more squarely on violent crime.

When it comes to dealing with people in mental distress, the sentiments behind the idea of defunding police forces stem from a singular question, says Alok Mukherjee, who spent a decade as the chair of the Toronto Police Services Board: "Is that armed, highly paid officer the right resource for that function?" 

"I think the pressure right now around defunding creates an opportunity for people to be seriously thinking about these issues," said Mukherjee, who first wrote a paper asking those very questions about a decade ago.

And then of course you have a response from the police.  

"I'm not going to send a nurse to a knife fight," Saunders said when asked why a crisis team didn't respond.

"Right now, we've got a responsibility, and we've got a role, and that role is to keep the community safe. Now, we need other agencies to help offload those responsibilities ... then we can start talking about reduction.

Until then, he said, "It would be naive to reduce police officers."

I'm sure the CoV Council will be boldly naive....

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ronto-1.5598285

• Nparker, rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#5249 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,956 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:17 PM

as another poster says here, increasingly, members of mental or other health teams or even firefighters will not enter a scene without police present. and one officer is not going in without backup so suddenly you have a lot of manpower needed at each call out. with LESS police I’m not sure how you respond to calls in any kind of a timely fashion.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2020 - 02:19 PM.

• Nparker, jsan and Awaiting Juno like this

#5250 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:27 PM

^ That appears to be the issue that CoV likes to ignore.  Topas tenting was shut down after support workers refused to go there for fear of their safety.

• jsan likes this

#5251 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

I'd be in favour of eliminating Traffic from all local police forces but since the revenues from moving violations are written in as part of most forces' annual budgets, I can't see that happening any time soon.

In all likelihood, officers will be transferred from revenue-less criminal duties to the more lucrative traffic detachments in the future.

But of course it's all about safety.

#5252 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

We had occasion to call the police last night. Our wacko neighbours started playing loud music on and off starting at 7 PM. At 12:30 am they really cranked it up, so we called. Two hours later, music still booming out. I moved to the couch to try and sleep but you could feel it all through the house. I'm dreading tonight. I don't think the police ever arrived. Guess there aren't enough of them.

Edited by mbjj, 05 June 2020 - 05:43 PM.

#5253 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

We had occasion to call the police last night. Our wacko neighbours started playing loud music on and off starting at 7 PM. At 12:30 am they really cranked it up, so we called. Two hours later, music still booming out. I moved to the couch to try and sleep but you could feel it all through the house. I'm dreading tonight. I don't think the police ever arrived. Guess there aren't enough of them.

Should have told them your neighbour was speeding. That would have motivated them.

• Nparker likes this

#5254 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:52 PM

Unless I misheard, Helps stated that the police are very stretched and any reduction in their funding would be very difficult to do.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5255 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:53 PM

All to say I'll go with "whacked out asshole" rather than "ill" (and I'm sure the Splashes folks, especially their junior man, would agree with me).

Useless eater.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5256 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:28 AM

I think they should start just excluding certain areas from police jurisdiction. Start with Fernwood for example. That way they won't have to worry about brutality and they can feel virtuous as criminals attack them.
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#5257 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:41 PM

I guess you can't expect much when City workers have 1 day to implement a council decision but you think they could have invested a little more in this effort.

Lunch hour on a sunny day today and I saw a grand total of two people eating at outdoor patios. 

Attached Images

• IMG_0300.jpg

Edited by spanky123, 08 June 2020 - 12:49 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5258 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

The weather is pretty poor today. Let's at least give the restaurants time to put some additional tables outside before we declare the experiment a failure.  :)

#5259 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:13 PM

The weather is pretty poor today. Let's at least give the restaurants time to put some additional tables outside before we declare the experiment a failure.  :)

Why would you put additional tables outside when the ones you already have outside are empty?

• Nparker and rjag like this

#5260 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

Why would you put additional tables outside when the ones you already have outside are empty?

That's just not true. There has been a line waiting for an outside table at Bard and Banker, Irish Times, and The Local every sunny day the last couple of weeks. Whistle Buoy has been full, The Drake has expanded to the lower level of Market Square. They may be empty inside, and they may be struggling to make enough money or hire enough help, but there is clearly demand for additional outside seating in the downtown core. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users