City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5641 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:25 PM

If this is progress, I'm hoping Ms. Helps takes it with her when she leaves office.  We have never ending council meetings with last minute additions to the agenda.  We no longer enforce bylaws we don't agree with - we don't bother changing them or consulting the public on the issue, it's just done.  We have people concerned about spending time in our downtown core - fearful for their personal safety and that of their property.  Our police force is having to fight for resources in the wake of a crime wave - while our council believes nurses and social workers would want to take on the task of working with potentially aggressive/violent clients without police back up.  Housing - is no more affordable today than it was 6 years ago, unless of course you are one of those chosen to occupy a former hotel room or one of those living near those facilities who has now seen their property value be adversely impacted.  We have 4 of our 8 counsellors not even living within the confines of the municipality.  

• Nparker, Wayne, NotHudsonMack and 6 others like this

#5642 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

I stand corrected on the Starbucks front!  Thanks for setting me straight.

#5643 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:00 PM

Noticed Isitt has erased all his tweets.

Unhappy to see so many people on Twitter standing up against the CoV anschluss?

Finally realized that the dream of putting all vehicle owners into forced labour camps will never happen?

Speaking of Isitt.....I followed up with my FOI complaint about his misuse of email.  Apparently he was spoken to, and they sent him a list of questions to answer and he hasn't got around to it yet. Must be too busy doing social media damage control....

• Nparker, lanforod, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#5644 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Why did we change from the practice of electing half of council every two years for four year terms, or am I not remembering correctly?

If cost was the factor I think the COV has spent way more by having these clowns in power for so long a period.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5645 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

It was two, then three, and now it’s four. Why it went to four was probably the same reason it went to three from two.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5646 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:50 PM

Why did we change from the practice of electing half of council every two years for four year terms, or am I not remembering correctly?

If cost was the factor I think the COV has spent way more by having these clowns in power for so long a period.

We used to elect all (not just half) of council for two-year terms, sometimes there'd also be a byelection at the one-year point.  Then, as Mike K says, it went to three-year terms; then to four-year terms.  Ostensibly the reason was that elections cost too much and thus having them less often saved money.

#5647 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:24 PM

Penny wise and pound foolish.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#5648 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:04 AM

We used to elect all (not just half) of council for two-year terms, sometimes there'd also be a byelection at the one-year point.  Then, as Mike K says, it went to three-year terms; then to four-year terms.  Ostensibly the reason was that elections cost too much and thus having them less often saved money.

I think some of the thinking was also that less frequent elections would improve voter turn out at the municipal level and would improve the ability of municipal councils to make progress on issues.  I'm guessing what was thought a bug (lack of ability to make progress) was actually a feature when faced with the level of "skill" brought to council table.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and FogPub like this

#5649 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

Another observation - the two year terms tended to keep out career politicians and those looking for a "job", I think overall the caliber of people seeking to sit on council then was more experienced in issues of governance and were taking on the role for different reasons.  Making accommodations to your work life for 2 years is one thing, 4 years is quite another.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#5650 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:41 AM

It feels somewhat by-design, doesn’t it? Few people can commit to a four year community service. Two is not an issue, three requires serious consideration. But once you get to four it’s a career move and not surprisingly we’re seeing career politicians pursue the positions while those with experience and expertise that is relevant to running a city shy away.

It’s not a coincidence a year into this election cycle Councillor Isitt tried to push a 50% wage increase onto the taxpayer under the guise that being a councillor is a full time job. And not just a job but a four year contract of a job.
  • Nparker, jsan, pennymurphy2000 and 4 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5651 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:01 AM

It feels somewhat by-design, doesn’t it? Few people can commit to a four year community service. Two is not an issue, three requires serious consideration. But once you get to four it’s a career move and not surprisingly we’re seeing career politicians pursue the positions while those with experience and expertise that is relevant to running a city shy away.

It’s not a coincidence a year into this election cycle Councillor Isitt tried to push a 50% wage increase onto the taxpayer under the guise that being a councillor is a full time job. And not just a job but a four year contract of a job.

Can this be turned back?  What would the process be for reverting back to a two year term if a community decided it better met its needs?  Are we locked into 4 years?

• rmpeers likes this

#5652 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

I don’t know for certain, but it’s a provincial or province-wide matter, I have been lead to believe.

Know it all.

#5653 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

VICTORIA -- The British Columbia government tabled legislation Wednesday that would see municipal politicians in the province run for election every four years instead of three. (2014). https://bc.ctvnews.c...nment-1.1747625

#5654 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:52 AM

I don’t know for certain, but it’s a provincial or province-wide matter, I have been lead to believe.

How would citizens raise this? Petition the Province?

#5655 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

Another observation - the two year terms tended to keep out career politicians and those looking for a "job", I think overall the caliber of people seeking to sit on council then was more experienced in issues of governance and were taking on the role for different reasons.  Making accommodations to your work life for 2 years is one thing, 4 years is quite another.

I actually don't mind the idea of it being seen as a "job", in as much I'd far rather see councillors making their CoV duties their primary focus rather than just doing it as a sidelight to whatever other careers they have going.

#5656 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

Speaking of Isitt.....I followed up with my FOI complaint about his misuse of email. Apparently he was spoken to, and they sent him a list of questions to answer and he hasn't got around to it yet. Must be too busy doing social media damage control....

I dunno... based on my attempts over the years to elicit any kind of email response from the mayor or councillors, I'd say Isitt Spam is about all you will get. I get the sense they are above having to explain their decisions to the people who pay them.

Edited by rmpeers, 04 July 2020 - 02:34 PM.

• Taj likes this

#5657 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

I actually don't mind the idea of it being seen as a "job", in as much I'd far rather see councillors making their CoV duties their primary focus rather than just doing it as a sidelight to whatever other careers they have going.

There is zero evidence to suggest that "professional" councillors perform a better public service than "amateurs"
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#5658 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:39 PM

If they displayed any skill at the role, or even a basic knowledge of their purpose, I wiuldn't mind. But this bunch... it's just painful.
  • Awaiting Juno and FogPub like this

#5659 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

Next election I hope people think very carefully about who they vote for.  They need to ask themselves, is this someone who would envy my lot in life?  If the answer is yes, think very long and hard about whether or not you should be voting for that person - that person is likely to make decisions that might be very painful to you.  Things like degrading your favourite park.  Hiking your taxes.  Spending tax dollars foolishly on "pet projects".  We shouldn't be surprised by what we're seeing - people who envy others don't hesitate to just take from those they envy and give to those they identify with.  They identify with the broke artist.  They identify with the van lifer.  They don't identify with the person who has spent 10 plus years working 40 plus hours a week who is paying a mortgage and worried about their kids playing in a park steps away from some discarded needles.

Note - people who've had careers outside of politics and who are fairly established in life, and in particular have spent more than a decade in Victoria, generally aren't people who are going to be envious of others and will make decisions they see as being in the interest of the city as a whole rather than particular groups of "friends".  

• Nparker, LJ, jsan and 6 others like this

#5660 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

"It’s not a coincidence a year into this election cycle Councillor Isitt tried to push a 50% wage increase onto the taxpayer under the guise that being a councilor is a full time job". 

I remember that klown Phlip Lucas who got elected and his first utterance IIRC was about a salary and benefit increase for himself. His frickin' seat cushion wasn't even warm and he was heading to the trough. 

I like two-year terms, get something done or get the boot. Trouble is that, like US House of Reps they will always be campaigning instead of governing.

At the very least they should live in the municipality they govern. 

Edited by johnk2, 05 July 2020 - 02:03 PM.

• Nparker, mbjj and Awaiting Juno like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users