Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5681 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

^ Is that unallocated contingency before or after they decided today to give > $200K to summer festivals for not having their festivals?

Edited by spanky123, 10 July 2020 - 07:45 PM.

#5682 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:48 PM

That’s not actually clear.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

Jesus wept.

When you clearly have a failed policy, don't admit your mistake, double down on it.

The CoV is truly run by idiots.
  • Taj, Awaiting Juno and Spy Black like this

#5684 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

Jesus wept.

When you clearly have a failed policy, don't admit your mistake, double down on it.

The CoV is truly run by idiots.

By the law of averages, you'd think they'd occasionally get something right, if only by accident. And yet...
  • Nparker, mbjj, Taj and 1 other like this

#5685 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:58 PM

I'd just like to mention this: it's possible some of you may have picked up on subtle hints that I am not totally enamoured of our council.

Yet I am regularly surprised that whenever the subject comes up with people I meet, I am amazed to discover they feel more strongly than I do, and I'm like, "gee, I thought *I* didn't like them...
  • Nparker, mbjj, Taj and 2 others like this

#5686 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:23 PM

...I am regularly surprised that whenever the subject comes up with people I meet, I am amazed to discover they feel more strongly than I do, and I'm like, "gee, I thought *I* didn't like them...

I'd be shocked to meet someone who despises the CoV council more than I do, but I suppose anything is possible (except for an intelligent decision by this council).

• Taj likes this

#5687 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:04 PM

City paying $81,000 for 620 bus passes in June under the free bus passes for kids program. Works out to just over $130 per pass. City Hall wants to extend the program until year end but purchase passes at retail price less 10% each instead of pretending that their program actually worked.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=56504

can't they just accept that this pass program is a failure and in the current times of covid it simply is not feasible to be spending $40 a pass for all kids in victoria who want them? and that monies could be MUCH better spent in other places... like supporting small business, cleaning the streets..

• jsan, Taj and Awaiting Juno like this

#5688 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:39 AM

can't they just accept that this pass program is a failure and in the current times of covid it simply is not feasible to be spending $40 a pass for all kids in victoria who want them? and that monies could be MUCH better spent in other places... like supporting small business, cleaning the streets..

Haven’t you learned Lisa doesn’t admit her pet projects are a failure. 
She could however throw her arms up in the air and blame someone else .

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#5689 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:23 AM

I'd be shocked to meet someone who despises the CoV council more than I do, but I suppose anything is possible (except for an intelligent decision by this council).

Myself and my husband, lol....and he used to work for the City!

#5690 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:24 AM

Remember the good old days when Helen Hughes instituted the Clean up Victoria Streets program? How I long for those days. We had flowers then too.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#5691 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:15 AM

I long for the days when local government was just a normal local government. Sometimes I liked what they did, sometimes I didn't. But the past few years...
  • Nparker, jsan, AndrewReeve and 4 others like this

#5692 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:34 AM

I like the way Lisa Helps says she would like to have a magic wand to fix everything but there are no magic wands. No one is looking for a magic wand. The people of Victoria just want small steps to address the complete failure of the local leadership. We want our parks back and off limit for camping.

• Nparker, Taj, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5693 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:05 PM

I like the way Lisa Helps says she would like to have a magic wand to fix everything but there are no magic wands. No one is looking for a magic wand. The people of Victoria just want small steps to address the complete failure of the local leadership. We want our parks back and off limit for camping.

Pretty sure there are non-magic solutions that could be applied, that could both help those in need and also not damage parks. But our council either is completely ignorant of how to actually help people (other than themselves - they've got that one figured out!) or they are deliberately screwing it up to punish their constituents.
  • Taj and Awaiting Juno like this

#5694 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

I suspect it's deliberately screwing with constituents. Nothing this council does isnt calculated.
  • Taj and Awaiting Juno like this

#5695 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:03 PM

It's the magical thinking that is dooming everything they doom.  If we just give the homeless homes, like magic, we won't have homeless. If we don't give the homeless homes and just let them camp wherever whenever, like magic the feds and province will buy them homes.  If we just abolish the police, like magic we won't have crime. If we just build more bike lanes and pay for kids' bus passes, like magic, we won't have traffic problems.  If we just assume everyone is doing the best they can, like magic we won't be divided.

I want pragmatic council, composed of people who live in Victoria who can think critically and look at a problem and implement reasonable solutions that work - I want the magic show to end, preferably with the disappearance from council of those currently at the table (excepting Mr. Young).  

2022 - my calendar is marked.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, grantpalin and 7 others like this

#5696 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:24 PM

Please run!
  • Nparker, Hotel Mike, Daveyboy and 3 others like this

#5697 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:25 PM

I'd just like to mention this: it's possible some of you may have picked up on subtle hints that I am not totally enamoured of our council.

Yet I am regularly surprised that whenever the subject comes up with people I meet, I am amazed to discover they feel more strongly than I do, and I'm like, "gee, I thought *I* didn't like them...

Do those people a) live in the CoV and b) vote?

#5698 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

Do those people a) live in the CoV and b) vote?

A. Yes. B. I hope so.
  • Awaiting Juno and FogPub like this

#5699 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

Is anyone seeing the city preparing for a revenue shortfall?  The only thing I could find was from April....

https://www.timescol...says-1.24119497

Helps said the delayed tax payments will have a significant impact on Victoria, which receives 50 per cent of its tax revenue from the business community.

“We’re going to have to manage our cash flow a little different than we had planned between August and October,” she said.

Between August and October?  Try August through 2024.  I don't think she gets it.  A chunk of that "cash flow" isn't going to be there.  It's not going to be managed "a little differently".

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Kungsberg like this

#5700 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:40 PM

Tourism is down, the economy is in trouble... so I assume this means they'll be switching over ASAP to a pretty hardcore pro-development stance, you think? You know, to energize the economy, create employment, increase the downtown population & enlarge the tax base, support downtown businesses, etc.

These politicians and city administrators love Victoria, right?

Right?

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users