Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#6461 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

Helps has joined the Board of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.

“The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation is an independent and non-partisan charity established in 2001 as a living memorial to the former prime minister.”

If we recall, the foundation provided funding for Helps’ PhD research. She never completed the degree.

Since a Provincial run isn't in the cards, perhaps she will try for a Federal one.

#6462 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

Looks like Mayor Helps wants the Province to grant her taxation powers. I wonder who would be the first target?! https://www.timescol...ools-1.24213304

Helps said the UBCM proposal for different funding tools “doesn’t necessarily call for new taxes, it calls for a fairer distribution of wealth.

#6463 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:59 AM

Looks like Mayor Helps wants the Province to grant her taxation powers. I wonder who would be the first target?! https://www.timescol...ools-1.24213304

Helps said the UBCM proposal for different funding tools “doesn’t necessarily call for new taxes, it calls for a fairer distribution of wealth.

Time to go back to basics. Stop stepping outside of their lane. The more they want to be like big govt the worse it gets

The thought of giving that council of clowns new taxing powers makes me physically ill

• Nparker, GaryRanson, mbjj and 4 others like this

#6464 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:08 AM

...Helps said the UBCM proposal for different funding tools “doesn’t necessarily call for new taxes, it calls for a fairer distribution of wealth.

Someone's been spending too much time listening to comrade Ben.

• GaryRanson and A Girl is No one like this

#6465 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,334 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:45 AM

they already have taxing power. it’s called property tax and they can hike it as high as they want actually.

but luckily this is one case where so many neighbouring and competing municipalities makes sense to keep a lid on it.

#6466 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

they already have taxing power. it’s called property tax and they can hike it as high as they want actually.

but luckily this is one case where so many neighbouring and competing municipalities makes sense to keep a lid on it.

Unfortunately for Mayor Helps, property tax is applied equally based on a formula. She is asking for a "fairer distribution of wealth" which of course implies anything but equal treatment. 

• aastra, Nparker, GaryRanson and 1 other like this

#6467 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

A $1.5 million home in Langford is likely owned by a wealthy family. A $1.5 million home in Gonzales might be owned by an elderly couple on a fixed income who bought in the 1960s, or a couple of modest means relying on suite income to make ends meet. I'm just saying beware of politicians looking at expensive homes as a new cash cow.

• rjag, Victoria Watcher and johnk2 like this

#6468 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,334 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

A $1.5 million home in Langford is likely owned by a wealthy family. A $1.5 million home in Gonzales might be owned by an elderly couple on a fixed income who bought in the 1960s, or a couple of modest means relying on suite income to make ends meet. I'm just saying beware of politicians looking at expensive homes as a new cash cow.

that's fair.  but if the elderly couple is having trouble paying their bills - food, hydro, or property taxes - then leave that house.  i know it's hard but it makes sense.

• Ismo07 likes this

#6469 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

that's fair.  but if the elderly couple is having trouble paying their bills - food, hydro, or property taxes - then leave that house.  i know it's hard but it makes sense.

Well the proposed capital gains tax on housing will make them think twice about that. If they sell and downsize they may very well still not have any money left after the taxperson takes her share.

• rjag, GaryRanson and Victoria Watcher like this

#6470 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

I'd be hard pressed to feel bad for people who aren't flush having bought a gonzales home in the 60s. 

#6471 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,334 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:48 AM

Well the proposed capital gains tax on housing will make them think twice about that. If they sell and downsize they may very well still not have any money left after the taxperson takes her share.

capital gains are not taxed at 95%.

#6472 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

If they hang on, they lose. If they get out, they lose. Your loving government at work.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#6473 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:20 AM

I'd be hard pressed to feel bad for people who aren't flush having bought a gonzales home in the 60s.

Yeah, but that's how they want people to think about one another. If somebody's assets have increased in value -- due to hard work and the passage of time and good luck -- then that person deserves to get screwed by the authorities. Whereas if somebody's assets have not increased in value -- due to hard work and the passage of time and bad luck -- then that person deserves to get screwed by the authorities.

I expect we'll eventually have a "rich bastard" tax for anyone who owns a house worth more than $1 million. We'll all cheer because the noble authorities are sticking it to those rich bastards... and then we'll eventually clue in that the rich bastard tax applies to everybody.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#6474 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

capital gains are not taxed at 95%.

Currently 50% but I suspect that will be going up. Either way, an older couple who bought their home 40 years ago for $30K now has something worth say $1.5M. Even at 50%, $375K+ is going to tax and as high as $750K+ if it gets taxed at the same rate as regular income. Even if they downsize to a condo in the same area they would likely not wind up with any savings after the realtor and lawyers and transfer tax had been paid.

#6475 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,334 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:17 PM

but they only paid $30k for the house.

after paying that off they get $750k or over $1 million for doing nothing really. That’s still a great deal.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2020 - 12:18 PM.

#6476 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:24 PM

Dude, are you joking? It's a great deal for the governments, for sure. Not such a great deal for the people, since they're the ones getting robbed.

• GaryRanson likes this

#6477 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

So I assume that, embarrased by the provincial election, the CoV will vote to hold their $500K byelection in December?

#6478 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,334 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:44 PM

Dude, are you joking? It's a great deal for the governments, for sure. Not such a great deal for the people, since they're the ones getting robbed.

that’s the reward the government gets for creating conditions for an ever-increasing real estate value.

if they could do it with cars or clothes or washing machines you’d be thanking them no? and throwing them some commission.

#6479 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

but they only paid $30k for the house.

after paying that off they get $750k or over $1 million for doing nothing really. That’s still a great deal.

I wouldn't say nothing. They probably have a couple hundreds in repairs and renos over the years and a few hundred in property taxes that they have paid.

They still have to live somewhere though and my point was that someone considering downsizing to put some money in their pockets wouldn't bother anymore.

#6480 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:51 PM

So I assume that, embarrased by the provincial election, the CoV will vote to hold their $500K byelection in December?

It was painful watching Chris Coates explain how his opinion could 180% in two weeks. They have no idea yet how much the bi-election will actually cost but they will try to keep it below budget.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)