City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#6661 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

It's not a Victoria decision.  You think businesses are leaving cause they can't vote here?  It will all rebound,.

There's a bit of bureaucratic sentiment coming through here. Yes, things will rebound, but how many families will lose their livelihoods or life savings in the meantime?

Business has been pleading with the City of Victoria to clean up the downtown core, and so far that's not resonating. As leases come up for renewal, operators are asking themselves, 'will it get better, or will VicPD's budget be reduced and we will have to factor in an additional $1,200 per month for security, as our insurance rates rise, and as customers become more reluctant to shop downtown?'

• rjag, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6662 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

There's a bit of bureaucratic sentiment coming through here. Yes, things will rebound, but how many families will lose their livelihoods or life savings in the meantime?

Business has been pleading with the City of Victoria to clean up the downtown core, and so far that's not resonating. As leases come up for renewal, operators are asking themselves, 'will it get better, or will VicPD's budget be reduced and we will have to factor in an additional $1,200 per month for security, as our insurance rates rise, and as customers become more reluctant to shop downtown?'

I'm living, working and playing downtown, and I see improvement already.  I get the negative comments and they in turn spur more, that's the actual sad part.  The fear feeding is ongoing.  I'll continue to be glass half full and enjoy my days.  Businesses come and go, it's not really that there is a mass exodus at this point, when I see that then sure.  Until then I'll keep supporting the City.  The way people speak about this one instance or that one instance is sad to me.   It's ok to say good things.  Businesses will still not be able to vote and the questions you believe they are asking has nothing to do with whether they want a vote or not.  I think the questions being asked by the businesses and residents for that matter have resonated.   If businesses do not renew their lease others will come.  I don't want to talk about the sky falling at this point cause it's not.  More people downtown since February...  Every month improves.  I'm guessing we are way off topic now.. 

• Mike K. likes this

#6663 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

Businesses come and go, it's not really that there is a mass exodus at this point, when I see that then sure.  Until then I'll keep supporting the City. ...  More people downtown since February...  Every month improves.  I'm guessing we are way off topic 

Going to call BS at this point.  The pandemic hit in March - most of the issues weren't even hitting a peak until August.  (Ie. Centennial Square). We might be starting to see some improvement now (relative to the worse point in time in the very recent history), but its still problematic.  And waiting until there's a "mass exodus" is waiting too long.  We need a city that is clean and safe and welcoming - that reassures businesses to operate here (rather than one of the 12 other municipalities they could operate in) because they do contribute.  They contribute jobs (wages) and taxes, they make being here a worthwhile.  The city is a mess - and any small improvements over the last month should be viewed skeptically with a by-election pending.  Once the by-election is done it will be back to dysfunction as usual.

• Mike K., sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and 4 others like this

#6664 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:33 AM

Going to call BS at this point.  The pandemic hit in March - most of the issues weren't even hitting a peak until August.  (Ie. Centennial Square). We might be starting to see some improvement now (relative to the worse point in time in the very recent history), but its still problematic.  And waiting until there's a "mass exodus" is waiting too long.  We need a city that is clean and safe and welcoming - that reassures businesses to operate here (rather than one of the 12 other municipalities they could operate in) because they do contribute.  They contribute jobs (wages) and taxes, they make being here a worthwhile.  The city is a mess - and any small improvements over the last month should be viewed skeptically with a by-election pending.  Once the by-election is done it will be back to dysfunction as usual.

You think the improvements have to due with the by-election?  I think people are working very hard in the City (including the DVBA) to keep it pretty clean and it's quite busy.  Happy to go for a walk with anyone and we can point things out for sure.  I'm not saying wait for a mass exodus before we do something, just saying that there is no imminent mass exodus.  You can call BS but just prove it to me. Are there attacks in the media?  Thefts? other issues?  Yes.  Is it less comfortable than last October?  Sure...  Just not the slums people are referring too....

Edited by Ismo07, 29 October 2020 - 08:25 AM.

#6665 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:16 PM

...Just not the slums people are referring too....

Visited any CoV parks recently?

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#6666 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:20 PM

Visited any CoV parks recently?

i have... you can smell central park from blocks away!

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#6667 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,308 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:03 AM

The acronym appeared inside a large letter “S” within the city-sponsored More Justice, More Peace mural, a joint effort by 17 artists to raise awareness of injustices suffered by Black and Indigenous ­people and people of colour.

The artists have decided to cover the entire letter “S” with a black ­rectangle containing three eagle feathers and the words: “This ­letter has been censored by the City of Victoria influenced by the Victoria Police Department. In doing so, ­Victoria is contributing to the ­silencing of Black and Indigenous voices and experiences across the land.”

https://www.timescol...sage-1.24229399

i think someone might deface the new message.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 October 2020 - 05:04 AM.

#6668 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:39 AM

If the covering of the letter still doesn't satisfy the terms of the original contract agreed to by the city, the entire mural should be removed.

• GaryRanson, mbjj, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#6669 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:38 AM

If the covering of the letter still doesn't satisfy the terms of the original contract agreed to by the city, the entire mural should be removed.

If the City started requiring that groups who receive money do what they promise to do then there would be no special interest groups left to fund. 

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#6670 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:39 AM

If the City started requiring that groups who receive money do what they promise to do then there would be no special interest groups left to fund. 

Works for me.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#6671 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:04 PM

Thorton-Joe said she wasn’t happy with the new changes and was considering bringing forward another motion that would ask council to remove the amended mural.

“As a visible minority, I have encountered racism many times in my life but I’ve always said that I don’t condone discrimination of any kind,” she said on Thursday morning. “I don’t think we can pick and choose what we discriminate against.”

https://www.vicnews....re-peace-mural/

VicPD’s community engagement division said the department didn’t feel it would be appropriate to comment until the new letter is completed – “out of respect for the process.”

In August, Manak issued a statement saying that he fully supported the spirit of behind the mural but that by excluding one group through harmful words seemed to “counter the very spirit of the mural itself.”

VicPD was not included in the discussions between the city and the artists.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 October 2020 - 12:05 PM.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#6672 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:31 PM

Thorton-Joe said she wasn’t happy with the new changes and was considering bringing forward another motion that would ask council to remove the amended mural. “As a visible minority, I have encountered racism many times in my life but I’ve always said that I don’t condone discrimination of any kind,” she said on Thursday morning. “I don’t think we can pick and choose what we discriminate against.”...

Good on CT-J for an intelligent take on the situation.

• Matt R., pennymurphy2000, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#6673 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:40 PM

...VicPD was not included in the discussions between the city and the artists.

#exclusiveinclusivity

• rmpeers likes this

#6674 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

" ­Victoria is contributing to the ­silencing of Black and Indigenous voices and experiences across the land."

What about Police Officers that are Black or Indigenous that don't like being called Bastards?  What about those that are Black or Indigenous that appreciate what Police Officers do and don't agree with ACAB?   

• Nparker, Midnightly and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#6675 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:36 PM

" ­Victoria is contributing to the ­silencing of Black and Indigenous voices and experiences across the land."

What about Police Officers that are Black or Indigenous that don't like being called Bastards?  What about those that are Black or Indigenous that appreciate what Police Officers do and don't agree with ACAB?   

they will have to seek their own $4,500 grant to write something.

#6676 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:37 PM

they will have to seek their own $4,500 grant to write something.

AAAL?

#6677 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:39 PM

AAAL?

American Association for Applied Linguistics?

#6678 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:45 PM

All Artists Are Lazy.  Now I don't honestly believe that statement but since this set of "Artists" want to reason and communicate at an age 5 level, I thought I would join in.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#6679 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:20 PM

The City approved the black box and the wording within it. I guess we can be selectively intolerant towards certain groups of people.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:23 PM

artists are strange.

city council are stupid for allowing this - on our dime.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users