City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#701 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

Well, it'd be something at least. There's always a margin of error involved with these things but I assume most folks would answer truthfully?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#702 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:20 AM

Or you could have social activists organize renters to identify as homeowners while voting as themselves.  "See?  Even homeowners agree that the City should ban homeowners from AirBnBing their basement suite but allow renters to do so unregulated."  For example.

#703 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

Or you could have social activists organize renters to identify as homeowners while voting as themselves.  "See?  Even homeowners agree that the City should ban homeowners from AirBnBing their basement suite but allow renters to do so unregulated."  For example.

I don't think the idea would be to tie the vote for the politician to if the voter was a renter or homeowner.  I suppose that would be the fear of the voter though.

#704 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

If it's a question of who votes more I'm pretty sure, again without looking, Victoria may have gotten the highest voter turnout in terms of % and if Victoria has the highest share of voters I think that math might be easy.  Stats are fun though :)

sidney and oak bay were higher.  metchosin and north saanich very close.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2019 - 10:23 AM.

#705 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Argh! Could there be a bigger waste of taxpayer's money?  :mad:

B.C. local governments should explore launching a class-action lawsuit against major fossil fuel companies to recover costs arising from climate change, a Victoria councillor says. Councillors this week supported a call from Victoria Coun. Ben Isitt ...forwarding a resolution to the Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities and the Union of B.C. Municipalities calling on the UBCM to explore initiating a lawsuit on behalf of local governments...

https://www.timescol...ions-1.23591811

Have I ever mentioned that I despise this person?

And again, Geoff Young was the sole voice of reason.

Only Coun. Geoff Young voted against Isitt’s proposal for the lawsuit...“As long as we require these hydrocarbons, I think the idea that we would be penalizing those producing them is not a reasonable one,” Young said.

Edited by Nparker, 11 January 2019 - 08:45 AM.

• kjf and jonny like this

#706 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

pets and livestock are also big ghg contributors. should municipalities sue pet owners and farmers too?
  • Nparker likes this

#707 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

Argh! Could there be a bigger waste of taxpayer's money? :mad:
Have I ever mentioned that I despise this person?

And again, Geoff Young was the sole voice of reason.

Do we have any type of mechanism to recall council members on the basis of not being of sound mind and therefore unfit to hold elected office? Not singling anyone specific out. Just a random question.

#708 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

pets and livestock are also big ghg contributors. should municipalities sue pet owners and farmers too?

Last time I checked, every time we exhale we also produce CO2

#709 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

we do. but methane is 20-32x more powerful ghg than co2. and cattle produce lots!

https://ollilaasanen...global-warming/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2019 - 10:00 AM.

#710 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:20 AM

Do we have any type of mechanism to recall council members on the basis of not being of sound mind and therefore unfit to hold elected office? Not singling anyone specific out. Just a random question.

Nope, next chance is in 3 years and 9 months

#711 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

The only person who can remove a sitting councillor or school trustee is the Ministry of Municipal Affairs.

#712 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

Any word on the non-binding, community-opinion question: “Are you in favour of spending up to $250,000 for establishing a Citizens' Assembly to explore the costs, benefits, and disadvantages of the amalgamation between the District of Saanich and the City of Victoria?”

66.47% voted Yes

#713 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

The only person who can remove a sitting councillor or school trustee is the Ministry of Municipal Affairs.

And God...if you believe in that sort of thing.

#714 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

I would like to say that, with a federal election on the horizon, it's time that we all stop trying to keep our local officials constrained here in our little backwater. We have hogged them for long enough, I say. It's clear that their visions are too grand and too global for the municipal realm. Dare I suggest that seeking a federal role might give them a stronger voice, a broader canvass for their vision? We must let them go, fly and achieve the higher offices they deserve.
  • Nparker likes this

#715 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

That's pretty common with successful local politicians going onto bigger things.  Many of the current council have many close supporters and proteges who would quickly step up to fill the shoes of any vacated seats now that more organized groups like Together Victoria exist, so none of us would need to worry about a major change in ideology just because the a few figure-heads moved on.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#716 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

...none of us would need to worry about a major change in ideology just because the a few figure-heads moved on.

Sad, but true.  :(

#717 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

That's pretty common with successful local politicians going onto bigger things.  Many of the current council have many close supporters and proteges who would quickly step up to fill the shoes of any vacated seats now that more organized groups like Together Victoria exist, so none of us would need to worry about a major change in ideology just because the a few figure-heads moved on.

True although now that they are elected, a couple of the TV members seemed to have quickly lost their appetite for taking on developers and pressing their original agendas.

#718 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

True although now that they are elected, a couple of the TV members seemed to have quickly lost their appetite for taking on developers and pressing their original agendas.

Thank goodness for that!

#719 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

I'm sure once they actually got to city hall someone finally explained that if a developer is shooting for 15% profits and you demand they include 50% affordable housing they just won't build anything at all.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#720 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:01 PM

I'm sure once they actually got to city hall someone finally explained that if a developer is shooting for 15% profits and you demand they include 50% affordable housing they just won't build anything at all.

I am sure that is the case but it diminishes the chances that the next person flying the TV banner gets elected.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users