Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8041 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:35 PM

Like a lot of cycling fanatics, Geoff Young likely believes balance = no cars.

• rjag, sebberry, VIResident and 1 other like this

#8042 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:22 PM

https://www.vicnews....holiday-travel/

#8043 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:28 PM

I feel his pain.  No white person has endured a whiff of criticism for ignoring the health rules and travelling out of country during lockdown.

• Nparker, rjag, GaryRanson and 4 others like this

#8044 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:42 PM

When all else fails, play the race card.

Edited by Nparker, 20 February 2021 - 04:19 PM.

#8045 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:48 PM

When all else fails, play the victim card! The guy is as useless as tits on a bull when it comes to running the city. Nothing to do with colour, race, religion, language. As with all the other nonsense in the last few years it’s not the trip per se but that’s the straw that broke the camels back!
  • Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 5 others like this

#8046 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:19 PM

When all else fails, play the race card. Glad the TC is up to its usual high standards of journalism.

The article is by Victoria News, a Black Press publication.

#8047 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:21 PM

The article is by Victoria News, a Black Press publication.

Post edited to reflect BP.

#8048 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:26 PM

i'll put a CNN headline to it:

victoria councillor - without evidence - says he faces racism after misguided holiday travel.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 February 2021 - 04:27 PM.

• Nparker and kitty surprise like this

#8049 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:39 PM

victoria councillor - without evidence - says he faces racism after misguided holiday travel.

If only all Woke was as Lit as yours...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8050 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:48 PM

This article about Rush Limbaugh is actually quite a good article about human behaviour.  I couldn't help but wonder if it explains why we are seeing illogical decisions with the CoV council?  Every tent city has resulted in harming the homeless yet this council continues to support them over and over again.  We have more and more violent crime yet this council continues to try to defund the police.  It's illogical.  So why do they and their supporters continue to make bad decisions over and over again when they see the results of those actions?

With self-deception, you’re both the teller and receiver of the lie.

“Motivated reasoning is thinking through a topic with the aim of reaching a particular conclusion,” Harford explains. You know what you want to be true, so you let the outcome you desire guide your thinking.

If you’re certain that you’re smarter than most other people and you tune out all evidence that contradicts that, why wouldn’t you believe yourself?

The way you see yourself — a high-achiever, a loyal servant or a team player — can make you go off the rails with fibs and even illegalities, especially when you fear you’re nothing without this identity. 

https://www.nbcnews....isk-ncna1258395

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#8051 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:14 PM

If you’re certain that you’re smarter than most other people and you tune out all evidence that contradicts that, why wouldn’t you believe yourself?

Ben Isitt's modus operandi...and to a slightly lesser extent, Lisa Helps.

• rjag likes this

#8052 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:39 PM

Actually the preferred term in the media lexicon (used to precede all allegations of election fraud) is “baseless claims.”  Not that the media spends a moment investigating such claims.

Edited by JimV, 20 February 2021 - 05:39 PM.

#8053 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

Ben Isitt's modus operandi...and to a slightly lesser extent, Lisa Helps.

The daylight between the two could be measured in nanometers.

• Nparker likes this

#8054 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:10 PM

The daylight between the two could be measured in nanometers.

Even so, if I were forced to choose between Isitt and Helps as supreme overlord, I'd select the latter. At least she/her/hers can usually keep meetings running semi-smoothly.

#8055 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

Even so, if I were forced to choose between Isitt and Helps as supreme overlord, I'd select the latter. At least she/her/hers can usually keep meetings running semi-smoothly.

True, and I suppose one can argue that the voters made that very choice.  Ben always sounds like a self deluded fool, whereas Lisa can project a patina of rationality from time to time.  And she is a much better liar than Ben.

#8056 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

...And she is a much better liar than Ben.

This for sure.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#8057 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:29 PM

....Ben always sounds like a self deluded fool, whereas Lisa can project a patina of rationality from time to time...  

Say what you will about Comrade Isitt (and I almost always do), it's not as though he pretends to be anything other than his jackass public persona. Lisa Helps still tries to pull the wool over people's eyes, at least in part because many keep believing her.

• GaryRanson and A Girl is No one like this

#8058 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

And absent a qualified group of alternatives that are supported (both by votes and by getting their names out there), we will wind up with the same council in 2022. 

Voter turnout, and voter education matters.  The group of candidates available to vote for also matters.  I like that Stephen Andrew has already thrown his hat into the ring.  

• Mike K., Nparker, David Bratzer and 2 others like this

#8059 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:06 PM

I feel his pain.  No white person has endured a whiff of criticism for ignoring the health rules and travelling out of country during lockdown.

I would speculate that had Ben Isitt traveled over Christmas he would have faced a firestorm of criticism that would have dwarfed Councillor Dubow's backlash.

• mbjj likes this

#8060 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:27 PM

A serious question:  who comes up with all the bad ideas, Public Works or council? They have already made access to James Bay nearly impossible (Vancouver blocked, continuous construction on Cook, a new traffic obstacle on Quadra, Government narrowed and constricted downtown) with more in the works (bike lanes on Superior and/or Michigan, probable closure of Government, likely a constriction at Douglas and Dallas.) And that’s not counting earlier obstacles, like the traffic islands on Finlayson.

These projects are too complex and detailed for council to dream up on its own.  Nor, apparently, do they have the time.  In my experience most councillors do not even answer their mail let alone pour over engineering drawings.

So my guess is that they originate with staff, perhaps working pursuant to some general guidelines like “see what you can do to make driving in the city more difficult.”  But that is just speculation.  I have no first hand knowledge of CoV’s internal dynamics.

Can it be that the senior staff are just as tone deaf and contemptuous of the residents as the SJWs on council?  If that is so, then if and when we replace the current politicians with people more connected to reality a thorough housecleaning of staff will also be in order.

• rjag, mbjj and On the Level like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users