Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8101 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:24 PM

Ben Isitt has filed a formal complaint with the CRTC regarding Adam Stirling's homeless camp comments on his C-FAX program.

Did he type it up during a council meeting?

• Rob Randall, Nparker, GaryRanson and 7 others like this

#8102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:03 PM

Mike drops by and insults you periodically, what more could you ask for?

That’s known as an honour around here.

But in all seriousness, to insult someone is to disrespect someone. I respect Rob, and thoroughly enjoy the debates I have with him. If you think that’s insulting I would like to mention that the CRTC is standing by for complaints.
  • rjag, Matt R. and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8103 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:12 PM

Jeff Bray has always struck a firm but temperate tone in TV interviews, but tonight on CHEK he sounded really p*ssed.  Makes me wonder if he is p*ssed enough to run for mayor.

• Victoria Watcher and Belleprincess like this

#8104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,782 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

Jeff Bray has always struck a firm but temperate tone in TV interviews, but tonight on CHEK he sounded really p*ssed.  Makes me wonder if he is p*ssed enough to run for mayor.

clip:

https://www.cheknews...ll-park-746659/

the police chief says "we need to work together to protect our greenspaces".  not sure how that stops graffiti and vandalism.

lisa helps says it's because we need to "get people off the streets".  and of course she says every big city has the same problem.  forgetting to note the island's largest city, next door in saanich, does not have any problem.

• Mike K., Matt R. and rmpeers like this

#8105 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:26 PM

Of course, in Dubow's case,...
[bHis heritage is completely irrelevant[/b] ... his words and actions speak volumes, and are all one needs to reference in order to pass judgement on his political undertaking.

This is actually a racist statement according to the 21st century definition of racism. We are way past the “I don’t see colour” phase. Today you are racist because you are denying the lived reality of a POC.

#8106 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:18 PM

clip:

the police chief says "we need to work together to protect our greenspaces". not sure how that stops graffiti and vandalism.

lisa helps says it's because we need to "get people off the streets". and of course she says every big city has the same problem. forgetting to note the island's largest city, next door in saanich, does not have any problem.

I’m confused- is the vandalism (“F**k bylaw” type messages) perpetrated by the homeless and their advocates, directed at the city for enforcing bylaws? Or is it by law abiding citizens, mad at the city for failing to enforce bylaws?

#8107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:40 AM

UPDATED: Slew of anti-bylaw graffiti an ‘unacceptable’ form of communication says Victoria mayor, police

“This is a really expensive and irresponsible way to get attention,” Mayor Helps said, pointing out that if people have an issue there are multiple other avenues for them to express it in, such as on social media or during a council meeting.

https://www.vicnews....bylaw-graffiti/

lisa helps really is a moron.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 February 2021 - 04:41 AM.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#8108 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:12 AM

If Victoria councillors are ever wondering why big new ­initiatives like banning cars from Clover Point are met with such pushback, they might ­consider the old adage: “If you take care of the small things, the big things will take care of ­themselves.”

https://www.timescol...irst-1.24286801

• Nparker, rjag, mbjj and 2 others like this

#8109 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:30 AM

This is actually a racist statement according to the 21st century definition of racism. We are way past the “I don’t see colour” phase. Today you are racist because you are denying the lived reality of a POC.

Oh I get it, and the Catch-22 that comes with any comment whatsoever that is made regarding a person of colour.

That I presume to comment on Dubow (for example) regarding his political shenanigans (and only his political shenanigans) automatically presumes that I deny the life he has been obliged to live to date.

I guess all I really have behind me when making such comments is intimate knowledge of my own personal outlook which considers everybody on our pale blue dot as brothers, sisters, and 100% equals ... albeit some (or many) of those equals are also complete idiots.

All of the above taken into account ... I'm 100% comfortable in declaring Dubow a fundamentally ineffective politician who's so far in over his head it's not funny. That he is one of only a few folks tasked with operating the City of Victoria is a stain, and a complete sham.

• Nparker, Matt R., mbjj and 2 others like this

#8110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:32 AM

...That I presume to comment on Dubow (for example) regarding his political shenanigans (and only his political shenanigans) automatically presumes that I deny the life he has been obliged to live to date...

Now you're getting it.

• max.bravo likes this

#8111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:38 AM

agree. he’s terrible at his job.
  • jrm likes this

#8112 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

If Victoria councillors are ever wondering why big new ­initiatives like banning cars from Clover Point are met with such pushback, they might ­consider the old adage: “If you take care of the small things, the big things will take care of ­themselves.”

https://www.timescol...irst-1.24286801

Best thing about this piece is the way it will trigger certain people on social media. Old, angry guy, nimby, and so on...
  • rjag likes this

#8113 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:36 AM

I love the bit about the moving van turning up Vancouver St. I've seen so many cars having to turn around or go up that deadend bit of McClure St and come out again. Vancouver St. is just dumb now. 

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, rmpeers and 3 others like this

#8114 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:46 PM

Dumb and dumber pretty much describes council’s entire approach to road work.

• Nparker likes this

#8115 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:19 PM

I love the bit about the moving van turning up Vancouver St. I've seen so many cars having to turn around or go up that deadend bit of McClure St and come out again. Vancouver St. is just dumb now.

People will get used to it, just like people got used to the exact same thing on a much larger scale in Vancouver's west end.
  • gstc84 and Victoria Watcher like this

#8116 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

People will get used to it, just like people got used to the exact same thing on a much larger scale in Vancouver's west end.

Yes we'll get used to it. Every week it will take us that many more minutes to try go somewhere, resulting in more carbon emissions. Isn't that what they're trying to reduce? Also I will just give up any effort to try go downtown for anything and drive to a mall which is actually more straightforward. Sure, we'll get used to it, but we'll be swearing every day. 

Edited by mbjj, 25 February 2021 - 04:05 PM.

• sebberry, rmpeers, JimV and 1 other like this

#8117 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:20 PM

Yes we'll get used to it. Every week it will take us that many more minutes to try go somewhere, resulting in more carbon emissions. Isn't that what they're trying to reduce? Also I will just give up any effort to try go downtown for anything and drive to a mall which is actually more straightforward. Sure, we'll get used to it, but we'll be swearing every day.

Just like I'm sure there's still people swearing about the changes to Humboldt, Broad, Kings, Cormorant...

#8118 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:24 PM

Vancouver street is an analogue for everything wrong with the Clown Council.  We have to get used to city streets blocked, obstructed, cluttered with curbs, bollards, cross walks, signage, weird parking arrangements.  We have to get used to criminals roaming our neighbourhoods, vandalizing businesses and public spaces, randomly attacking residents;  we have to get used to squatters ruining the parks and terrorizing visitors; we have to get used to favourite places transformed in ways nobody wants;  we have to get used to idiotic bylaws dreamed up by witless fanatics; we have to get used to finding needles and refuse scattered around the streets and gardens; we have to get used to the priorities of ordinary citizens being ignored in favour of coddling a small band of n’er do wells;  we have to get used to smirky, tone deaf councillors ignoring public sentiment and hiding behind a veil of fake consultation; we have to get used to senior bureaucrats actively collaborating in the degrading of the city.

• Nparker, LJ, mbjj and 4 others like this

#8119 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:06 PM

clip:

the police chief says "we need to work together to protect our greenspaces". not sure how that stops graffiti and vandalism.

lisa helps says it's because we need to "get people off the streets". and of course she says every big city has the same problem. forgetting to note the island's largest city, next door in saanich, does not have any problem.

After allowing graffiti to thrive all over town in a really bad way over the last couple of years, aka condoning it, it’s really strange to see Helps firmly say it’s not acceptable.
  • zoomer likes this

#8120 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:29 PM

After allowing graffiti to thrive all over town in a really bad way over the last couple of years, aka condoning it, it’s really strange to see Helps firmly say it’s not acceptable.

Cheap weasel words that are entirely meaningless on her part.  If it’s not acceptable don’t accept it.  Quit coddling the bad actors and, FFS, don’t spend tax dollars to support it (e.g. BLM painting.)

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users