Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8161 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:53 PM

Besides....if we had no Issit or Helps, what on earth would we have to talk about?

That's an ennui I am more than willing to entertain.

• A Girl is No one, rmpeers and JimV like this

#8162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:05 PM

OTL, classic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8163 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

We have exactly what we deserve.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

More precisely, we have what they deserve.

#8164 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:29 PM

The latest dysfunction from City Hall relates to their plan on running the long delayed citizens assembly process both Victoria and Saanich approved during the last election.

CoV staff have decided that the costs of running the process will likely exceed the budget of $750K so they want to ask the Province for more money or to consider cutting the amount being offered to participants as an honorarium. The participants are the 75 people who would form the assembly and are the key to the whole process.

Clearly the thought is that if they make the job onerous and without reward then nobody will want to be on the assembly and the process can fail as they hope. Either that or they can stack the panel with people of their choosing.

Looking at the budget however, I think that perhaps there are a few items that could be cut before they take away the one line item that actually benefits the people doing all of the work.

1. $60K to webcast the proceedings from the VCC (a building they already own). I will offer to do it for free with my cell phone and facebook

2. $60K to mail letters to people to ask them if they want to participate in the process. A few CFAX ads and an add in the TC and Vicnews should cover that.

3. $30K for snacks for the meeting of 75 people. Must be tasty snacks

4. $230K for CoV staff to facilitate meetings with a ratio of 1 staff for every 6 assembly members (ie 13 staff to supervise a meeting of 75 people). How many CoV staffers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

5. $250K-$350K for technical analysis (whatever that means)

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=64807

I wonder if the Mayor and her senior leadership sit around and plan out how they can send the biggest possible FU's to the electorate?

Edited by spanky123, 26 February 2021 - 04:31 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#8165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:36 PM

...I wonder if the Mayor and her senior leadership sit around and plan out how they can send the biggest possible FU's to the electorate?

I can't believe it happens by accident.

• Love the rock and rmpeers like this

#8166 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

I can't believe it happens by accident.

Anyone who has ever worked for Government knows of 'FOAD' proposals. The quickest way to kill a project you don't want to do is to create a proposal/budget so outrageous that you know it will never get passed.

#8167 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:51 PM

First I’ve heard of this citizen assembly thing, but if they’re serving up $400 snacks count me in!

#8168 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:05 PM

First I’ve heard of this citizen assembly thing, but if they’re serving up $400 snacks count me in!

I wonder if the Red Cedar Cafe will be the supplier?

• North Shore and Love the rock like this

#8169 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:36 PM

Its interesting to note how quiet TV has been on social media since the by-election.

No lecturing, no admonishing about how guilty we all should feel if we have a home, car, a job...its quite refreshing

Not quite... didn’t Potts just come out with a long edict about the watching our language to protect the « most vulnerable « ?
  • rjag likes this

#8170 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:15 PM

Did anyone notice that the CoV put a white blond settler as the swimmer?  Damn microaggressive council and staff!

Attached Images

• timeline.JPG

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8171 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:44 PM

Did anyone notice that the CoV put a white blond settler as the swimmer?  Damn microaggressive council and staff!

well we will see who actually takes the first swim in the new facility - later this year.   :1954_dancing:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 February 2021 - 06:53 PM.

#8172 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:51 PM

Not quite... didn’t Potts just come out with a long edict about the watching our language to protect the « most vulnerable « ?

But not TV. Seems like Potts is just being her usual tone deaf self

• rmpeers likes this

#8173 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

He identifies as a gyrl, so it’s alright.

#8174 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:26 PM

Doesn't matter, he's using the how long have you been beating your wife tactic.

I think it is the "have you stopped beating your wife" tactic.

Edited by LJ, 26 February 2021 - 08:26 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8175 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:15 AM

Context for complaint against CFAX

Re: “Ben Isitt’s attempt to muzzle criticism,” editorial, Feb. 26.

Useful context was omitted from the editorial.

My complaint to the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission against CFAX radio is not based on that licensee’s coverage of my political record or the record of Victoria city council.

As noted in materials that I sent to the Times Colonist on Feb. 24, my complaint is:

“Against the licensee of CFAX in the Greater Victoria area for breaching its obligations under the Broadcasting Act and the Radio Regulations to provide ­programming that is of a high standard and balanced on matters of public concern. Specifically, my complaint arises from the ­licensee’s unbalanced and ­misleading ­programming on the matter of homelessness and poverty in the Greater Victoria area.”

This context is relevant to the subject matter of the editorial.

It is therefore odd that it was ­withheld from Times Colonist readers.

I welcome a free, rigorous and critical media environment, which are integral to a healthy democracy.

Values outlined in the Broadcasting Act for use of public airwaves — including balanced, diverse ­programming of a high standard — are also integral to the health of our local democracy and the wellbeing of community members.

Ben Isitt, city councillor
Victoria

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2021 - 06:18 AM.

#8176 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:20 AM

^what a tool. His ‘context’ only makes it more clear that his problem with CFAX is they don’t agree with his opinion. There is no basis for complaint on the grounds he says he’s using. Doofus.
  • sebberry likes this

#8177 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:22 AM

Isitt is speaking truth to power

Thank you Victoria Coun. Ben Isitt for filing a complaint with the CRTC about the false statements and ­characterizations of homelessness in Victoria disseminated by Adam ­Stirling of CFAX.

Stirling is speaking to his ­convert, the vocal and vehement segment who are offended by efforts to house the homeless rather than what, ignore them, send them somewhere else, let them suffer for being homeless, jail them?

The mere presence and depth of self-righteous offence does not exempt anyone, including members of the media, from the obligation to be truthful.

Isitt has clearly ­identified ­multiple instances where ­commentary by Stirling on ­homelessness in Victoria are ­downright false.

The demonization of Isitt for speaking truth to power is just as reprehensible.

Joanne Thibault
Victoria

https://www.timescol...bate-1.24287857

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2021 - 06:22 AM.

#8178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:24 AM

Isitt unaccountable to the voters

By using his official position as councilor to lodge a complaint with the CRTC, Ben Isitt has magically transformed himself from the ­bullied into the bully.

By attempting to impress the CRTC with his office, he has instead shown himself to be willing to use this ­position as a method of ­silencing his critics.

Hopefully, the attempt will be seen for what it is: A cynical ploy by an embattled politician seeking to remain unaccountable to those who placed their trust in him.

K.M. Frye
Saanich

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2021 - 06:25 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#8179 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:43 AM

Say it enough and the masses will believe it......

"Despite the constant negative press covfefe"

So, who is saying media is not reporting fully or honestly and saying it over and over and over?......  

"The media is really - the word, I think one of the greatest of all terms I've come up with is - fake"

Very interesting playbook.

#8180 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:22 AM

Isitt is speaking truth to power

Thank you Victoria Coun. Ben Isitt for filing a complaint with the CRTC about the false statements and ­characterizations of homelessness in Victoria disseminated by Adam ­Stirling of CFAX.

Stirling is speaking to his ­convert, the vocal and vehement segment who are offended by efforts to house the homeless rather than what, ignore them, send them somewhere else, let them suffer for being homeless, jail them?

The mere presence and depth of self-righteous offence does not exempt anyone, including members of the media, from the obligation to be truthful.

Isitt has clearly ­identified ­multiple instances where ­commentary by Stirling on ­homelessness in Victoria are ­downright false.

The demonization of Isitt for speaking truth to power is just as reprehensible.

Joanne Thibault
Victoria

I recognize that name. She is one of the very vocal activists.

But I think she is confused... isn’t Comrade Ben in power???

Edited by A Girl is No one, 27 February 2021 - 07:28 AM.

• Victoria Watcher and JimV like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users