Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#801 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

But the current deputy mayor system usually only kicks in when the mayor is out of town or on vacation. This hypothetical new position would place a deputy in situations where the mayor is double-booked and can;t attend, or maybe just an event the mayor can't be bothered with or wishes to avoid.

If that's the case though, why a 130k position for work that could apparently be done by a 40k councillor. The whole thing seems (typically) fishy, especially her backing off when the price went down.

#802 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

But the current deputy mayor system usually only kicks in when the mayor is out of town or on vacation. This hypothetical new position would place a deputy in situations where the mayor is double-booked and can;t attend, or maybe just an event the mayor can't be bothered with or wishes to avoid.

If staff can not find the mayor and need something signed now, they will go to the Deputy Mayor and get them to sign the document.   This was a serious complaint by one of the mayors 2014-18 in this region

#803 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

I'm a bit astonished at all the hub-bub to save the tree at Government/Wharf/Humboldt.  While I disagree with many of the decisions the current council makes, what they are doing with that intersection actually makes a lot of sense - strictly from a traffic flow and road safety perspective.  Personally, when driving West I avoid that intersection currently because its a bit of a free for all and the sight lines are awful.  When driving East, a person cannot turn left, even if doing so is the most efficient route to their destination, they are forced to turn left either at Government and Belleville (another delight with heavy pedestrian traffic, no advance left, and no right through lane) or further up at Government and Superior.  It's actually one tree removal that makes a lot of sense - for all road users.  There's more than enough bad policy and other decisions of council to object to that objecting to the reasonable is just knee jerk.

• jonny, newbie_01 and Brantastic like this

#804 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

I agree. I also like the scramble idea here.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#805 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

I'm a bit astonished at all the hub-bub to save the tree at Government/Wharf/Humboldt...

I am mostly just amused at the bike lane lovers vs. tree-huggers. It's an epic battle of eco-justice warriors. I am maybe at this intersection 4 or 5 times a year. I really couldn't care less what they do with it.

• Awaiting Juno and Cassidy like this

#806 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

I am mostly just amused at the bike lane lovers vs. tree-huggers. It's an epic battle of eco-justice warriors. I am maybe at this intersection 4 or 5 times a year. I really couldn't care less what they do with it.

It's a daily part of my commute and a pain in the butt - whether I'm behind the wheel or on my bike, so for once, I can find something the city is doing that actually makes sense...  Victoria ultimately needs more pragmatists who put decisions into context.  

• jonny and VIResident like this

#807 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

... Victoria ultimately needs more pragmatists who put decisions into context.  

Seemingly, that will only happen if Geoff Young is cloned.

• pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#808 kjf

kjf
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

I'm a bit astonished at all the hub-bub to save the tree at Government/Wharf/Humboldt..  

What about if when the tree gets removed, the new provincial log splitter is used to chop it up and then as others have suggested, Sir John A. gets put in that spot? 

• Mike K., Nparker, vortoozo and 4 others like this

#809 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

People oppose a single tree being removed but will then try to block infill housing with the net result being:

Attached Images

• Sprawl.jpg

• Baro and Brantastic like this

#810 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:33 AM

the first section of this article deals with victoria our cruise industry and our fossil fuel lawsuit.

‪You’re all hypocrites: Why it's a colossal cop-out to keep blaming Canada's sky high emissions on Alberta. https://nationalpost...ons-on-alberta‬
  • rjag, kjf and jonny like this

#811 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:54 AM

Great news for Mayor Helps, there is a new "Government" in Venezuela today so she can write another letter and perhaps they will reconsider funding our use of fossil fuels.

• Nparker, rjag and jonny like this

#812 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

Gold: It is indeed impossible to live on the 21st century planet earth without unwittingly participating in the carbon economy in some way, but chances are good that Shell didn’t force actor and climate change activist Leonardo DiCaprio to rent the world’s fifth largest yacht in order to watch the World Cup.
  • spanky123, grantpalin and Love the rock like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#813 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

Response from city hall about Ben's privacy issue. Maybe more of you that got illegally added to his personal list should chime in to the cities privacy person.

Thank you for your follow-up email regarding a privacy complaint. It has been shared with Mayor and Council.

If you have any further questions in this regard, you may follow-up directly with the City of Victoria’s Privacy Analyst, Rob Gordon, at rgordon@victoria.ca.

Sincerely,

Lucas de Amaral
Correspondence Coordinator
Mayor / City Manager’s Office
City of Victoria
1 Centennial Square, Victoria BC V8W 1P6
  • Nparker, rjag and Mattjvd like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#814 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

I was copied on communication from the City relating to Isitt’s use of the email addresses and despite being long-winded, there is agreement he acted against policy.

I don’t think he recognizes that it is not OK to use City-directed communications for PRIVATE interests, of which his campaign marketing materials are.
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#815 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

email sent, thanks for the info

#816 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

bit of a rant

Today our school was to have a special pac meeting with Mrs Helps and a few councilors about safety around the school (it's a significant issue school population more then doubled in 5 yrs, a kid was hit last year) we have been trying to book this meeting with her since September.. she was due to show up in November but cancelled, our pac president asked her to pick a date that worked with her.. she picked this evening well over a month ago.. our pac worked very hard to set up a quality presentation about school safety, and the issues around the school including parking, school zones, safety of crosswalks (people being nearly hit in them on a regular basis) ect... well guess who was a no show?.. Mrs Helps herself... she emailed on monday or tuesday and said she could not make it because she was double booked and would send someone else in her place (sarah collins i think it was) .. it was only a 1hr meeting that SHE scheduled.. and she couldn't make it.. i guess the other event was more important (or more fun, all i heard was it was a volunteer event) then following through on the meeting she personally set up after previously cancelling on us

Edited by Midnightly, 24 January 2019 - 08:01 PM.

#817 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

bit of a rant

Today our school was to have a special pac meeting with Mrs Helps and a few councilors about safety around the school (it's a significant issue school population more then doubled in 5 yrs, a kid was hit last year) we have been trying to book this meeting with her since September.. she was due to show up in November but cancelled, our pac president asked her to pick a date that worked with her.. she picked this evening well over a month ago.. our pac worked very hard to set up a quality presentation about school safety, and the issues around the school including parking, school zones, safety of crosswalks (people being nearly hit in them on a regular basis) ect... well guess who was a no show?.. Mrs Helps herself... she emailed on monday or tuesday and said she could not make it because she was double booked and would send someone else in her place (sarah collins i think it was) .. it was only a 1hr meeting that SHE scheduled.. and she couldn't make it.. i guess the other event was more important (or more fun, all i heard was it was a volunteer event) then following through on the meeting she personally set up after previously cancelling on us

The other event was the launch of Go Victoria, a sustainable mobility plan: https://www.eventbri...ts-54437231224#

#818 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

... guess who was a no show?.. Mrs Helps herself...i guess the other event was more important...

The other event was the launch of Go Victoria, a sustainable mobility plan...

The decision for Her Worseship was easy: Midnightly your kids won't be able to vote for quite a few years. She doesn't need to pander to them yet.

#819 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:03 PM

The other event was the launch of Go Victoria, a sustainable mobility plan: https://www.eventbri...ts-54437231224#

looking at the times of the event "Doors at 6 p.m., event at 7 p.m to 8:30." could she not have done both?.. the school meeting was set for 6-7pm (and it would take maybe 15 minutes to get from the school to the conference center, if the traffic/lights was with me i could probably drive it in 10), could either of them not be rescheduled significantly in advance? not days beforehand?  and she did pick the date to come to the school, she had rescheduled once before so we asked her to decide the date of what would work best for her... to me that is the most frustrating part..

• sdwright.vic likes this

#820 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

The decision for Her Worseship was easy: Midnightly your kids won't be able to vote for quite a few years. She doesn't need to pander to them yet.

well surprisingly my kid already wildly dislikes her.. (i listen to cfax in the car when we drive and do talk about what we hear)

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users