• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:11 PM

Tre Milioni...that's a lotta grinding

https://vancouverisl...-park-1.5330671

#8242 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:18 PM

The City of Victoria has picked a Vancouver-based team to lead design and construction of a multi-million dollar skate and bike park in Topaz Park. The group, New Line Skateparks, was chosen after the city held a public competition to head the $3 million project...

https://vancouverisl...-park-1.5330671

$3 million that needs to go toward the restoration of Beacon Hill Park. Sorry folks, the pandemic changed the rules and skateparks can no longer be a priority. The optics of enhancing one park while letting another park fall into ruin should not be lost on anyone.

• grantpalin, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#8243 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:50 PM

The province appears to have rejected the City of Victoria’s appointment of Councillor Isitt as the replacement of Councillor Dubow on the regional transit commission, and instead has appointed Thornton-Joe.

I can't argue with that choice.
  • Midnightly and jrm like this

#8244 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:15 PM

Maybe the province wanted someone who would actually attend meetings.

Interesting that he was appointed in the first place.  Was that a decision by Helps alone or was it a council vote?

#8245 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:08 PM

Isitt has always claimed to be hard working,super busy, putting in constant hours on council and all over the place with all his other projects... he simply doesn't have time (even he has said how many hours he does on each of his projects once) i think it's good they called him on it and said nope he can't do the job... it probably doesn't help that he was taking council meetings while working down at the warming tent in Beacon hill...

#8246 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:17 AM

The province appears to have rejected the City of Victoria’s appointment of Councillor Isitt as the replacement of Councillor Dubow on the regional transit commission, and instead has appointed Thornton-Joe.

Not that I mind in this case, but in general I'm surprised the province can just reject an appointment like that.

The city is given x-number of seats on that commission and after that should have complete autonomy in who it chooses to fill those seats.

#8247 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:32 AM

It’s no different really than voters supporting specific councillors for the CRD but the decision ultimately resting with the City.

We have yet to hear from councillor Isitt on the matter. Councillor Dubow has already announced his term ended, but did not refer to his colleague that is taking over (whose husband is a retired transit operator).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8248 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:24 PM

New regulations from the Province will be impacting Together Victoria and other civic slates: https://www.cheknews...-slates-749593/
  • Nparker, rjag, GaryRanson and 4 others like this

#8249 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:22 PM

New regulations from the Province will be impacting Together Victoria and other civic slates: https://www.cheknews...-slates-749593/

Thoughts on how this will affect Together Victoria? E.g. what were they getting away with before that they won't be able to in future?

#8250 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:30 PM

For starters, members of the organization will no longer be allowed to post to social media with political content that is not identified as political promotion, at least that’s my interpretation (during the new 60-day pre and formal 29-day election periods) and unionized labour will no longer be allowed to be paid by an employer while working for the campaign. Again, that’s my interpretation.
  • rjag, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8251 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:58 PM

Did Rob Shaw say October 2020 in that piece?

#8252 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:17 AM

For starters, members of the organization will no longer be allowed to post to social media with political content that is not identified as political promotion, at least that’s my interpretation (during the new 60-day pre and formal 29-day election periods) and unionized labour will no longer be allowed to be paid by an employer while working for the campaign. Again, that’s my interpretation.

I think that the largest component of "free labour" and support for TV comes from UVIC. Students and profs aren't unionized so they will be exempt from most of the restrictions it sounds like.

#8253 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:32 AM

It makes you ask, though, why now? And why after so many years of slates? Was something uncovered? Was the web if financing too murky to satisfy Elections BC?

Was the lawsuit from Geoghegan a tipping point, accusing someone for which there was no means for the accused to prove their innocence?

Know it all.

#8254 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:41 AM

Was the lawsuit from Geoghegan a tipping point

i don't think geoghegan sued anyone.  launched a few complaints.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2021 - 07:42 AM.

#8255 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:50 AM

It makes you ask, though, why now? And why after so many years of slates? Was something uncovered? Was the web if financing too murky to satisfy Elections BC?

Was the lawsuit from Geoghegan a tipping point, accusing someone for which there was no means for the accused to prove their innocence?

Simple reasons why now. The Greens and NDP were aligned, they aren't anymore. New rules will punish organizations that are aligned with the Greens. It will also help keep far left candidates out of municipal politics which for many is the stepping stone to Provincial or Federal roles.

• Mike K., Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#8256 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:58 AM

i don't think geoghegan sued anyone. launched a few complaints.

My bad, I meant the lawsuit as a result of Geoghegan’s claim against Hammond.

Know it all.

#8257 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:09 AM

Simple reasons why now. The Greens and NDP were aligned, they aren't anymore. New rules will punish organizations that are aligned with the Greens. It will also help keep far left candidates out of municipal politics which for many is the stepping stone to Provincial or Federal roles.

Shows how much the ground has shifted if the NDP is now the safe middle ground trying to block far left candidates.

On the whole these new rules strike me as a good thing.  It will, though, make it a bit more complicated if someone wants to create an organized opposition to TV and the fellow travellers.

#8258 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:35 AM

TV appeared to be a combo of far-left NDPers and Greens. We know Isitt has forsaken the NDP and gone Green. Will be interesting to see what happens in next year's election.

#8259 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:40 PM

I think the current version of the NDP is much more radical than people think. Gone, or on their way out is the old guard of left of center reps, and each seems to get replaced by the more radical left type. Just my opinion.
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#8260 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

TV appeared to be a combo of far-left NDPers and Greens. We know Isitt has forsaken the NDP and gone Green. Will be interesting to see what happens in next year's election.

But do the Greens want him?  Despite his success in previous civic elections he looks more like a liability nowadays.  His strong suit has always been a hard core of radicals plus a large helping of Victoria’s ignorati.  I’m thinking events of the last couple of years may have reduced the latter contingent.

• GaryRanson, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users