Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8681 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:18 PM

What time was that at?  May have to look at expanding the 2nd lane tow away route along Quadra leaving town.  These days it starts at 4pm, maybe needs to be 3pm or even 2pm.

I was on Quadra in that stretch one morning and it was clogged, lol. 

#8682 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:33 AM

Rather disturbing to see that because the City of Victoria could not properly fund the Victoria Police that the ACT teams are about to be cut from 3 officers currently to 2.  Long gone already are the police liaison positions to schools. The cost demand: $250,000. Meanwhile we're about to waste $1.4M on the unwanted changes to Richardson St. and Red Cedar Cafe was provided in excess of $400,000. Can we please, get some adults at the table who know how to prioritize and manage resources, please.

• Nparker, North Shore, grantpalin and 9 others like this

#8683 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:24 AM

I understand that soon a left turn will be allowed from Quadra onto Burdett. In the meantime, we turn right by the playground, then turn around in a driveway, then cross back over Quadra. I've seen others doing likewise.

LOL!  Many, many moons ago I took a course on Urban Geography at Capilano College in North Van - taught by *that* Gordon Wilson (a really good teacher, BTW..)  One of the things I remember from the class was the idea that if shortcuts are created by people - be it dirt paths being trodden across parks, or - as in this case - driving work-arounds, it is because there was a failure at the planning level to properly anticipate how people move, and build the infrastructure to reflect that movement.

• Nparker and lanforod like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8684 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:33 AM

you should have cheated on the final exam.

see what he would say about his failure to account for your work-around.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 April 2021 - 09:33 AM.

• Mike K. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#8685 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:24 AM

An idea - what if the election of mayor and the election of council were two separate elections and occurred with a 2 year gap. Basically - as an example there'd be election for mayor in 2022, 2026, 2030, and an election for council in 2024, 2028, 2032, etc. I'd hope we'd see better councils result. Add to it an ability to choose "next in line" candidates for council seats to avoid byelections (or pair them with the offset mayoral election).

• A Girl is No one likes this

#8686 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:10 AM

An idea - what if the election of mayor and the election of council were two separate elections and occurred with a 2 year gap. Basically - as an example there'd be election for mayor in 2022, 2026, 2030, and an election for council in 2024, 2028, 2032, etc. I'd hope we'd see better councils result. Add to it an ability to choose "next in line" candidates for council seats to avoid byelections (or pair them with the offset mayoral election).

So current councilors would need to take two years off to run for mayor?  Or they can run and just the "next in line" would get in?  If they run do they lose their seat for certain?

Edited by Ismo07, 14 April 2021 - 09:11 AM.

#8687 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:40 AM

this doubles the cost of running elections...and...

as it stands you cannot run for two positions at once, either council OR mayor - under this scenario it would be possible to retain your council seat when running for mayor as you would be running for a single office only

• John M. likes this

#8688 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:27 AM

this doubles the cost of running elections...and...

as it stands you cannot run for two positions at once, either council OR mayor - under this scenario it would be possible to retain your council seat when running for mayor as you would be running for a single office only

Right now, what happens is the most talented (probably for ego reasons) go for the mayor seat leaving the candidate field vying for council seats wanting. Yes an incumbent council candidate could run for Mayor but at most only 1 council seat would be left vacant as a result AND if "next in line" was enabled, could be filled by the first runner up of the last election. 

#8689 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

I think it's a solution looking for a problem.

• gstc84, Brayvehart and m3m like this

#8690 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

I think it's a solution looking for a problem.

Because having 9 reasonably qualified people run for mayor and 20 people (of which at least10 are questionable) run for council isn't a problem??  

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#8691 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

If you want to run for council, run for council.  If you want to run for mayor, run for mayor. 

• Brayvehart likes this

#8692 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:27 AM

I could maybe sorta get behind this provided two things were made true:

1. A councillor running for mayor is forced to resign the council seat effective as of the start of the official campaign period. (in other words, it's win or go home)

2. The replacement councillor(s) is(are) elected in the same election as that for mayor, plus replacements for any other vacated council seats.

Thus, if two sitting councillors run for mayor the election replaces both of them plus elects a mayor, meaning when it's over there'll be either two or three new faces at the table, if not more.

Thinking on it further, I'm not sure even this would work all that well.  Let's just go back to lockstep three-year terms for the lot of 'em and have done with it.

#8693 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:13 AM

Three years is ok. Four years obviously doesn’t work. But if we have to keep the four years: I’d like a system where the councillors are staggered. Half are up for re-election every two years. It allows more protection against dysfunctional councils, and gives residents more say and chance to course correct. Yes, that means more elections but a dysfunctional council is proving to be much more expensive then running an election.
  • Nparker, LJ, Hotel Mike and 1 other like this

#8694 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:45 AM

Three years is ok. Four years obviously doesn’t work. But if we have to keep the four years: I’d like a system where the councillors are staggered. Half are up for re-election every two years. It allows more protection against dysfunctional councils, and gives residents more say and chance to course correct. Yes, that means more elections but a dysfunctional council is proving to be much more expensive then running an election.

Agree - some kind of change is needed be it 3 year terms, staggered Mayor & council elections, or staggered elections generally. A council that doesn't work is exceptionally painful - and without recall legislation there really isn't a whole lot that the public can do to motivate better behavior. Also - a dysfunctional and toxic political culture creates a negative feedback loop where people who care about the city and likely are qualified to make good decisions choose not to run because they look at who is around the table, the political and personal damage inflicted on those who run or are in office, and the massive time suck that results from a dysfunctional council. We should be asking - where are the business people and working professionals, and why aren't they at council?

#8695 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:05 AM

i guess we should be happy that Comrade Ben's phone photo function doesn't work on occassion!

https://globalnews.c...use-of-commons/

#8696 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

Well spoken and worth the 4 minutes to listen....

Man with Downs syndrome attacked on Dallas Road in Victoria BC

https://www.youtube....h?v=XyNHSWWpdNo

• LJ and Awaiting Juno like this

#8697 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:42 AM

Well spoken and worth the 4 minutes to listen....

https://www.youtube....h?v=XyNHSWWpdNo

This is a very good message to city hall. How she manages to keep her composure and be so clear about her message. Well done. Please share!

#8698 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

Stephen Andrew says he is going to bring a motion involving free parking to lure people downtown. Biketoria people seem outraged (naturally) but it sounds interesting.

#8699 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:04 AM

...Biketoria people seem outraged (naturally) but it sounds interesting.

That alone makes the motion worthwhile.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#8700 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:10 AM

Stephen Andrew says he is going to bring a motion involving free parking to lure people downtown. Biketoria people seem outraged (naturally) but it sounds interesting.

I think the negative reaction is to the suggestion that the city would be paying people to park downtown, rather than simply offering free parking.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users