Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8801 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:31 AM

I resent the fact that both Helps and Potts have come out this week to shame anyone from speaking up about the lack of safety their have to live with thanks to mayor and council poor decision making/direction.

There is absolutely nothing shameful about calling our elected officials to task, I would go further and say that it’s our duty to let politicians know when they are off track. I think that’s called “representation”.

If Potts and Helps can’t take criticism, then I think they should step down, they are in the wrong line of work.
  • Nparker, rjag, grantpalin and 8 others like this

#8802 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:24 PM

I resent the fact that both Helps and Potts have come out this week to shame anyone from speaking up about the lack of safety their have to live with thanks to mayor and council poor decision making/direction.

There is absolutely nothing shameful about calling our elected officials to task, I would go further and say that it’s our duty to let politicians know when they are off track. I think that’s called “representation”.

If Potts and Helps can’t take criticism, then I think they should step down, they are in the wrong line of work.

It really is staggering that they could have so little awareness of the what public service means. I honestly think they believe they won some sort of reality show contest or something. Or are just completely self-obsessed.
  • Nparker, spanky123, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#8803 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

Social Justice Warriors have a very narrow view of the universe.

• sebberry, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#8804 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

Social Justice Warriors have a very narrow view of the universe.

Self Righteous Warriors sounds more accurate. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#8805 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

It's an oxymoron, not seeing much in the way of actual social justice being realized. I'm seeing people who work very hard for what they have, having their stuff stolen. I'm seeing people who pay the highest towards social goods, like public parks, and good roads being deprived of those social goods. I'm not seeing much in the way of public safety - and I'm seeing a lot of denigration of some who work the hardest at that, our first responders - that does not seem socially just. I'm seeing people who genuinely care, having their reputations dragged through the mud and being called all kinds of names - meanwhile, those whose acts have done the most harm are riding upon some might high horses.

I'm seeing people who damage public property, people who assault, people who steal - largely get away with it. Again, this is not social justice.

It's been an exhausting 2.5 years, and it appears the next 535 days are also going to be tiresome. What'll be worse: if we do not defend those doing what they can to restore true social justice and allow these "warriors" to ensure that the only narrative that gets heard, is the one they want heard. 

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 12 others like this

#8806 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:09 AM

Social justice in the CoV is about as accurate as the name "Together Victoria".

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#8807 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:38 AM

One more day and then the city gets show it's next step - either it will enforce the incremental change to sheltering in parks, or it will show it has no resolve in dealing with the underlying issues and is open to being abused. 

#8808 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

^ Well Mayor Helps is now saying mid May for the Aryze development to be ready so that is another couple of weeks at least. Besides, how are you or I to know who has been offered indoor space and who has not? Will be really easy for Victoria to ignore the problem for another month.

#8809 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

...Will be really easy for Victoria to ignore the problem for another month.

More likely several months, by which time the full complement of summer campers will have arrived from elsewhere to once again fill CoV parks. It's an endless cycle.

• todd, grantpalin, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#8810 sablefish

sablefish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:37 PM

In the midst of cutting back on front-line police services that actually protect people from violence, and also in the midst of a pandemic that is hitting revenues hard, the CoV is setting up a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Division. I don't know what the head of the Division is getting, but the junior person they hired in February will be getting $50.06 an hour (pay is listed at the bottom of the posting).

The job description also suggests that part of the role will involve making sure that city contracting funds are funneled to social justice believers, although the language is suitably coded (emphasis mine):

This position builds the City of Victoria's capacity to support improved policies and practices related to current and future staff development and learning, improved social procurement practices, promoting and imbedding equity into projects and community engagement initiatives, and monitoring and reporting on equity related initiatives. The position works with other levels of government, advisory committees, taskforces, and community organizations to ensure community outreach related to equity, diversity and inclusion.

#8811 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:46 AM

The city is funding not only their friends but are now trying to get contractors to also fund more positions. Each position will be a sure vote for more of the same. Not surprising that a number of my neighbours are scrambling to get out of Victoria.

• Nparker, rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#8812 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:28 AM

Victoria City council makes me want to vomit.

• Nparker, SimonH and A Girl is No one like this

#8813 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:25 PM

Victoria City council makes me want to vomit.

Makes me want to start heating up the tar and slitting open the feather pillows.

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#8814 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:46 PM

The cult dynamic of wokeness...

https://newdiscourse...amics-wokeness/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8815 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:57 PM

In the midst of cutting back on front-line police services that actually protect people from violence, and also in the midst of a pandemic that is hitting revenues hard, the CoV is setting up a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Division. I don't know what the head of the Division is getting, but the junior person they hired in February will be getting $50.06 an hour (pay is listed at the bottom of the posting).

The job description also suggests that part of the role will involve making sure that city contracting funds are funneled to social justice believers, although the language is suitably coded (emphasis mine):

A Hundred Grand a year to sit in city hall and shuffle paper from the inbox to the out box?!  Holy crap, am I in the wrong line of business.  Time to unleash my inner lesbian, I guess..

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8816 sablefish

sablefish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:02 PM

Not sure if that archived link is working. Here is the posting in its current location. The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer's role is very specific. They're like commissars for social justice. They get involved in everything an organization does and make sure that it reflects the approved belief system. Do an internet search on the job title and you'll find lots of examples. Dubow started pushing for this office back in 2019.

#8817 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:32 PM

Dubow started pushing for this office back in 2019.

Of course he did.  Everything is about leverage......me me me me me me me me me me me 

#8818 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:40 PM

i can understand this sort of job in a large work environment for a private company... but i really don't understand is why a small city of under 100k people needs a person in this role.. let alone a whole department of people for this role... i really think much of council forgets that we are not a huge city with thousands upon thousands of employees...  i don't think there has ever been a huge issue with equality, diversity or inclusion within city hall and city employees to warrant a department being set up.. well other then the citizens of the city who don't agree with mayor and council not being heard but i don't think that has anything to do with equality, diversity or inclusion..  i guess one could argue the biggest issue is council itself with their lack of inclusion of all the voices of the city that they repeatedly choose to ignore

• A Girl is No one, rmpeers and sablefish like this

#8819 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:18 AM

^ easy for a white guy to say.

when I go into city hall to pay my property tax I want someone with similar lived experiences as mine to count my money and issue a receipt,

#8820 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:58 AM

What I'd like to see: a core review with a realignment of city resources towards meeting the specific needs of residents. Our roads are becoming wagon trails, there's more ghost crosswalks than proper ones. Our process for getting things done is cumbersome and expensive. We have a burgeoning poverty industry that needs to be reigned in (standards for operations should be met), and we need to have an honest and productive dialogue with those who provide public safety about how they can be supported to meet their goals. We need police to be seen as an essential part of community - and that means building bridges, not burning them (liaison officers with schools, and full support of the ACT teams). Lastly: we desperately need addictions and mental health treatment facilities, we need more recovery homes (dry/drug free facilities).

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 7 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users