Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8941 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Absolutely. Proof of ID should be a requirement. Anyone not from here should be given a one way ticket back to their last place of residence. The Charter may provide people the ability to go wherever they choose but if you can't support yourself why should we foot the bill?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#8942 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:10 PM

Absolutely. Proof of ID should be a requirement. Anyone not from here should be given a one way ticket back to their last place of residence. The Charter may provide people the ability to go wherever they choose but if you can't support yourself why should we foot the bill?

I understand the frustration, but it’s a non-starter. Why waste our breathe on charter issues that have been decided?

On another note, staff do not support “permitting tents” at this point. I do not agree, but we need to let their plan run the board for the moment. It is making a difference.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#8943 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:33 PM

^ I have to agree on the later point. What is the point handing out permits when nobody is going to enforce them or if they do then nobody is going to pay the fines?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8944 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:31 PM

I'll be curious to see how many tents are still in BHP on Saturday, which they will have had half of the month to act on clearing the park of daytime campers.

#8945 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:19 AM

I saw an ad in Sunday's Times-Colonist for a group calling itself Concerned Victoria Citizens, saying something about needing new leadership, getting out new voters and, in effect, to stay tuned for more.

Anyone know anything about this outfit?

#8946 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:12 AM

I saw an ad in Sunday's Times-Colonist for a group calling itself Concerned Victoria Citizens, saying something about needing new leadership, getting out new voters and, in effect, to stay tuned for more.

183606340_10101443469763046_148710673721

Facebook discussion:

https://www.facebook...73159759451875/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 03:13 AM.

• jrm likes this

#8947 Urbanpioneer

Urbanpioneer
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:12 AM

Their platform is going to be washing all the un-housed and disadvantaged into the inner harbour with fire hoses, should go over well with the pearl clutching crowd.... but .. and a big but.... will they actually get people to vote come election time ??? Many rumours in the Beacon Hill Gulag that Mr. Isitt will be putting his hat in the race for Mayor.. and you know he will get votes

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8948 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:27 AM

Their platform is going to be washing all the un-housed and disadvantaged into the inner harbour with fire hoses, should go over well with the pearl clutching crowd.... but .. and a big but.... will they actually get people to vote come election time ??? Many rumours in the Beacon Hill Gulag that Mr. Isitt will be putting his hat in the race for Mayor.. and you know he will get votes

Of course thats tongue-in-cheeck....I'm sure it might have something to do with the absolute $hitshow that this current council has created in the core and concerned citizens that want to create a core that is not the rats nest it has become this past 2-4 years

• Nparker, SimonH and Awaiting Juno like this

#8949 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:52 AM

Their platform is going to be washing all the un-housed and disadvantaged into the inner harbour with fire hoses

Yes I can see Potts saying this while flailing her arms in a frenzy, but the real question is how Dubow will somehow make this all about racism. 

Meanwhile you have citizens watching what is happening

Yes, there are some that really need a hand up, but there are others that have effectively found a system that is easy to manipulate.

Many have little desire to make the sacrifices that my fellow workers do on a daily basis. Why would they? They would have to give up free meals, free housing and free transit, as well as many other support services.

There is something wrong with this picture.

https://www.timescol...tell-1.24317507

• Nparker likes this

#8950 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:29 AM

Isitt running for mayor could be a very good thing. In large part because while there are many who vote for him, there are many more who would be motivated to get out and vote, if for no other reason than to avoid the timeline in which he is mayor of Victoria.  As a perk, should he not succeed in the bid, he also would no longer retain his council seat.

Sharmarke has already opined on facebook that the use of the term "citizens" is discriminatory against those who are not citizens but are merely residents. Yet, if I recall correctly, citizenship remains a prerequisite to voting.

#8951 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:49 AM

yes I’m not entirely sure where bozo councillor was going with the citizen / resident thing. what a tool.

#8952 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:19 PM

We have a "strategy" coming!

We’re developing a #WelcomingCity Strategy to make Victoria a stronger, more inclusive community where everyone is accepted, respected & feels that they belong. Share your lived experience & ideas by May 30 to help inform the strategy: https://engage.victo...-welcoming-city #HaveYourSay

https://twitter.com/...166518125842432

#8953 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:30 PM

Who exactly is Victoria currently turning away?

#8954 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:34 PM

Who exactly is Victoria currently turning away?

Pretty much anyone who doesn't believe cars, plastics, clover point and our parks shouldn't be in their crosshairs? 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8955 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

Not a bad idea to craft a strategy, as the federal government plans to admit 1.2 million new residents over the next two years: https://www.economis...more-immigrants

#8956 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:38 PM

Not a bad idea to craft a strategy, as the federal government plans to admit 1.2 million new residents over the next two years: https://www.economis...more-immigrants

You mean like where are they going to be housed?

The Government strategy will be to subtly blame immigrants for causing the prices of housing to increase and then after there are a few high profile racial incidents, go to the immigrant community and offer to pass laws to protect them if they vote.

#8957 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:49 PM

Mayor Helps and Councillors;

My wife is planning a walk downtown to visit the optometrist and pick up some medications.

Given that there are now random knife attacks throughout the downtown core at all hours, can you recommend a "safe" route from the Oaklands area to downtown?!

Regards,

Tom

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#8958 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

Isitt running for mayor could be a very good thing. In large part because while there are many who vote for him, there are many more who would be motivated to get out and vote, if for no other reason than to avoid the timeline in which he is mayor of Victoria. As a perk, should he not succeed in the bid, he also would no longer retain his council seat.

Sharmarke has already opined on facebook that the use of the term "citizens" is discriminatory against those who are not citizens but are merely residents. Yet, if I recall correctly, citizenship remains a prerequisite to voting.

I remain very worried that the TV types will find a way to win, even if the majority din't support them. Eg, bring in ringers to split the "moderate" mayoral vote, form a "rental support" organization as cover for collecting voter names, possibly replacing the tainted brand with something else etc
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#8959 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:29 PM

Pretty much anyone who doesn't believe cars, plastics, clover point and our parks shouldn't be in their crosshairs?

And anyone who works for a living and pays taxes.

#8960 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:42 PM

I remain very worried that the TV types will find a way to win, even if the majority din't support them. Eg, bring in ringers to split the "moderate" mayoral vote, form a "rental support" organization as cover for collecting voter names, possibly replacing the tainted brand with something else etc

Or better yet...promise $10 daycare.
  • A Girl is No one and Teardrop like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users