Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9041 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:09 PM

Just a little OT observation. Somebody, no doubt one Victoria’s woke ignorati, has been going around James Bay sticking “F*ck Zionists” posters on signs and poles. (He doesn’t use the asterisk.) We’ve torn down several. While doing this we encountered a man painting over graffiti on one of those big Telus boxes. He has taken it upon himself to clean up the neighbourhood as much as he can. And yesterday we saw a news report about a citizen group of volunteers who are sweeping BHP for needles on Saturday mornings. It is genuinely heartwarming to learn that there are still some regular, civic minded people around here who are taking action.

Thanks for this JimV. ❤️
  • Mike K., Hotel Mike, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#9042 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:39 PM

wouldn't they likely be getting $600-1000 child support per month too?  from the other biological parent?  most would.  

Often this doesn’t happen. Job loss ,abandoning responsibilities, working under the table addiction lots of reasons why this doesn’t  play out .Enforcement can only go so far . 

#9043 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:37 AM

oh I know some don’t pay. but most do.

#9044 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:55 AM

Some entrepreneur may be on to a solid business idea.

https://www.facebook...60080758623232/

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#9045 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:05 PM

I had to call my husband to see that, hahahaha! 

#9046 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:27 AM

Canada’s annual inflation rate rose to 3.4%, from 2.2% in March, Statistics Canada said. Analysts polled by Reuters had expected the annual rate to rise to 3.2% in April.

And it begins.

https://apple.news/A...nRL-ll1Obu6Nv_w
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9047 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:46 AM

Along with the BS about this just being an anomaly and not representative of the true CPI. It won't be until the interest rate goes up that they actually start admitting the truth.

#9048 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:39 AM

Always with the CPI. I swear it’s the index that just keeps on giving.

The CRD just released their 2020 annual report. Their budget inflation was 1.1% (I assume that what they meant). The national average 0.7%. Keep in mind that was during COVID when budgets largely froze.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9049 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 01:46 PM

Along with the BS about this just being an anomaly and not representative of the true CPI. It won't be until the interest rate goes up that they actually start admitting the truth.

The low interest rates are driving some of the recent price increases, especially housing.  Lots of government funny money in circulation chasing a limited supply of goods, e.g. commodities, cars, homes and all the other stuff now scarce because of supply chain problems.

The pressure on rates is increasing.  Not much of a market for government bonds at <1% when the inflation rate is >3%.  BOC can’t keep buying government debt forever.  I think a perfect storm is on the horizon.

#9050 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 01:55 PM

In other news I tried the beloved Cook/Southgate roundabout this morning.  I was driving east on Southgate.  I moved to the bottom of the roundabout, waiting for north bound traffic on Cook to clear.  Meanwhile, another driver behind me pulled into the southbound lane of Cook, blocking southbound traffic.  This will likely happen often since there is so little room to maneuver around the thing.  I suppose that after a few crashes people will figure it out.

#9051 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:15 PM

In other news I tried the beloved Cook/Southgate roundabout this morning.  I was driving east on Southgate.  I moved to the bottom of the roundabout, waiting for north bound traffic on Cook to clear.  

Shouldn't you just move into the roundabout?  Traffic in the circle has the right of way.  After you enter it, northbound traffic must yield to you.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9052 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:36 PM

Shouldn't you just move into the roundabout?  Traffic in the circle has the right of way.  After you enter it, northbound traffic must yield to you.

I did move into the roundabout.  I had to stop at the southern edge of it because the cars travelling northbound on Cook clearly had no intention of yielding.  Trying to squeeze into the narrow lane would have resulted in a collision.  

#9053 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:55 PM

In other news I tried the beloved Cook/Southgate roundabout this morning.  I was driving east on Southgate.  I moved to the bottom of the roundabout, waiting for north bound traffic on Cook to clear.  Meanwhile, another driver behind me pulled into the southbound lane of Cook, blocking southbound traffic.  This will likely happen often since there is so little room to maneuver around the thing.  I suppose that after a few crashes people will figure it out.

I would agree but no Government is being punished for printing money at the moment so most seem quite happy to keep buying votes with paper and ink. As Government stimulus starts to wind down a little though we are seeing the impact in a lot of the speculative assets.

#9054 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:31 PM

You know what has really inflated? The city of Victoria budget -- it's grown from less than 100 pages in 2014 to more than 900 now. Really. A city of 90,000 should not need a 900 plus page budget.

2014 https://www.victoria...ancial Plan.pdf

2020 https://www.victoria...ialPlan_WEB.pdf

• Nparker, LJ, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#9055 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:02 PM

You know what has really inflated? The city of Victoria budget -- it's grown from less than 100 pages in 2014 to more than 900 now. Really. A city of 90,000 should not need a 900 plus page budget.

is it double-spaced?!  ;-)

#9056 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:17 PM

that's insane!!

to be honest it makes me wonder what they are trying to hide with that many pages

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#9057 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:07 PM

that's insane!!

to be honest it makes me wonder what they are trying to hide with that many pages

Wouldn't more pages be providing even more openness and transparency?  Have you compared the differences in the two budgets, to see why it's such a large difference? 

I didn't read the whole thing (obviously) but just comparing a couple of sections between the two budgets..... for example, in the 2014 budget, the section on 'Police' is two pages long; there is one budget line for expenditures ('Operations') and two budget lines for Revenues ('CIty of Victoria' and 'Recovery from Esquimalt').  That's it.  

In the 2020 budget, the police section is 100+ pages, with a budget for each of dozens of Business Units and includes 15+ line items for each unit including police salary, inside salary, overtime, all the way down to food and beverage, office supplies, etc.  And, at least at first glance, each of the other sections (like 'Council', 'Engineering', 'Parks, Recreation, and Facilities') are similarily broken down in such detail.  It's only 900 pages, which really isn't that hard to search through now that a Table of Contents is included (not to mention Ctrl+F).   

• Mike K., Brayvehart and m3m like this

#9058 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:08 AM

A few titles, 900-page novels (for a chuckle)

• Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon,
  • The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss,
  • Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon,
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

#9059 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:16 AM

that's insane!!

Despite being 900 pages it is laid out in such a way that you can get to the info you want quickly. It is still opaque enough however (ie multiple expenses lumped under one heading) that if the City wants to hide detail they can.

My concern is that the 2021 financial plan won't be available until July or more than half way through the year! I hope that it is not the 900 pages that is slowing that up.

#9060 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:18 AM

The electorate did ask for more transparency and there it is.

Do we know yet what the average taxation rate is for 2021?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users