Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9061 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:20 AM

My wife was talking to a woman who had a good view of the roundabout from the Mocha House.  The woman said big trucks couldn’t negotiate the narrow lanes so they had to drive over the sidewalk.  Great engineering, CoV!

#9062 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:34 AM

My wife was talking to a woman who had a good view of the roundabout from the Mocha House.  The woman said big trucks couldn’t negotiate the narrow lanes so they had to drive over the sidewalk.  Great engineering, CoV!

Typically, roundabouts in tight intersections like these include a large truck apron on the central island for trucks to drive over.....  did they not include one on this roundabout?  

#9063 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:57 AM

Typically, roundabouts in tight intersections like these include a large truck apron on the central island for trucks to drive over.....  did they not include one on this roundabout?  

There’s a kind of rim.  I wouldn’t call it a large apron.  But a vehicle could certainly drive over the central island - that’s what I would do.  I didn’t see this so I don’t know why they drove over the sidewalk.  Maybe the turning radius is too short.  

#9064 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:42 PM

I had to drive over the central island today at that very intersection, turning north from Southgate. It is a tight turn, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9065 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

In the big Caddy? That's the only car that bends to follow the curvature of the earth.

#9066 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:34 PM

It comes with 2 degrees of curvature between the axles, correct.

No, in the pick-up. It has a turning radius of HMCS Regina, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9067 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

I saw a truck which came along Southgate, wanted to head north on Cook, but because the curb has been moved so close to the roundabout, they had to back up and make a second go at it. Their tires were right up against the curb.  The driver's face was priceless! 

#9068 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:44 PM

The old setup - a stop sign on Southgate and a turn lane on Cook was simple and effective.  The roundabout is obstructive and dangerous.  Just one more example of city council ruining the streets for reasons known only to them and a few witless sycophants.

• Nparker, rjag, mbjj and 2 others like this

#9069 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:57 PM

^^^this!!!

#9070 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2021 - 09:18 PM

The old setup - a stop sign on Southgate and a turn lane on Cook was simple and effective.  The roundabout is obstructive and dangerous.  Just one more example of city council ruining the streets for reasons known only to them and a few witless sycophants.

I always found that left turn from Southgate onto Cook to be an unusually nasty one.  It needed something.  But if it's a roundabout, then make it a full-size roundabout (i.e. sacrifice a bit of boulevard space) such that northbound traffic has to chicane a bit and thus realize it's not just a through-lane.

#9071 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:50 AM

I always found that left turn from Southgate onto Cook to be an unusually nasty one.  It needed something.  But if it's a roundabout, then make it a full-size roundabout (i.e. sacrifice a bit of boulevard space) such that northbound traffic has to chicane a bit and thus realize it's not just a through-lane.

It never bothered me.  You just wait until Cook is clear in both directions and then  go.  In reality you still have to do that now because you can’t count on Cook traffic yielding once you slip into the circle.  And the turn is more awkward.

Yes, the roundabout could have been enlarged at the cost of boulevard space, but why bother?  It’s another solution looking for a problem.  The money would have been better spent paving some of the city streets that are beginning to resemble wagon trails.

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#9072 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:51 AM

^ Try Meares on to Cook!

• mbjj likes this

#9073 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:52 AM

Yates from the Fort junction through to Douglas is brutal.

Know it all.

#9074 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:45 AM

I will be using Linden from now on. Since Oxford Foods left Cook St. village, I really have no reason to go there and if I just want to get to Dallas Road, Linden is easier.

Oxford St. near Cook, the road near the Coho terminal (one end at least), and many others need repaving. Yesterday my husband came home and said, you'll never guess where the city has repaved! The lower part of Lotbiniere! That is a tiny stretch with about five houses and no through traffic. Brilliant. 

The city has also replaced a very wide drain at the foot of Robleda with a tiny grate. There's no way that is going to handle a heavy rain storm. 

Edited by mbjj, 21 May 2021 - 07:49 AM.

#9075 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:15 AM

Lotbiniere could be related to the new bike path on Richardson?

#9076 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:29 AM

Lotbiniere could be related to the new bike path on Richardson?

Seems like is must be related; that is where they are putting one of the diverters, on the east leg of Richardson / Lotbiniere (see screenshot below). Not sure exactly why they would pave Lotbiniere though, no additional vehicle traffic will use it.  Maybe they're expecting an increase in bike traffic? it is a convenient connection to Rockland for cyclists / peds.  

a1.JPG

#9077 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 05:43 AM

So downtown White Spot is closing for good.  So why not put this in the "restaurants coming and going" thread, or the Covid thread?   Well I am sure Covid had a part to play, but so did Victoria City Council.  Did they think opening up a "free" restaurant across the street would help?  What about stacking homeless shelters across the street on both sides? 

That is the thing with this council.  They don't understand the consequences.  They are irresponsible.  Unless you are in their special interest, they just don't care.

So now what?  How many families are unemployed?  What happens to that building?  Another soup kitchen paid for by residential property taxes?

• Nparker, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#9078 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,011 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 05:59 AM

the TC article today confirming the closure didn't offer much more.

#9079 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:38 AM

So now what?  How many families are unemployed?  What happens to that building?  Another soup kitchen paid for by residential property taxes?

Da homeless shelter. Worry not for the White Spot owners, BC Housing will pay 5x what the property is worth (assuming of course one of their buddies hasn't already bought it).

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9080 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:18 PM

Lotbiniere is a very steep, no through lane. The pavement was in good shape. No cars can go up it for more than a few metres as there are bollards. More waste of money to repave. . The road across from it, Durban, will be getting a lot more traffic with the blockade. Then we will be zigzagging all over I suppose. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users