Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9301 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:28 PM

Bens video on his Facebook page. “Elders being arrested at fairy creek.” The woman who is being lead away: his mother. Shocker

Edited by Belleprincess, 14 July 2021 - 08:31 PM.

#9302 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:47 AM

a) white people think it’s ok to be destructive on behalf of indigenous people b) white people think it’s ok to speak for indigenous people. I’m pretty damn sure that they’re fully capable speaking for themselves. And they’ve said time and time again: stop doing this. The fact that people like Ben Isitt are so dismissive of their wishes, is deeply troubling. It’s our time to listen, not to go on some ridiculous tirade. He acts like he comes from some kind of moral high ground but he’s treating FNs people terribly…
All for his own ego

ALL protestors are as described above, in fact they (the protestors) were there before City of Victoria elected Councillor Ben Isitt, Councillor Isitt showed up on the scene long after this all began.  

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#9303 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:31 AM

a) white people think it’s ok to be destructive on behalf of indigenous people b) white people think it’s ok to speak for indigenous people. I’m pretty damn sure that they’re fully capable speaking for themselves. And they’ve said time and time again: stop doing this. The fact that people like Ben Isitt are so dismissive of their wishes, is deeply troubling. It’s our time to listen, not to go on some ridiculous tirade. He acts like he comes from some kind of moral high ground but he’s treating FNs people terribly…
All for his own ego

What I think is interesting is that we have logging and pipelines quickly dividing groups that have historically been allies. After 200+ years of living and working together is it really a surprise that some FN are just as willing to destroy the environment for profit as their white counterparts are?

#9304 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,993 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

one could quite well argue our resource extraction hardly “destroys” the environment. yes there will be issues but you might argue the good that comes (jobs money government revenue to pay for schools and hospitals) far outweighs some minor environmental damage. man can’t live in a civilized way without having effects on our environment. it’s just that everyone has a different idea of how much impact is acceptable or where that impact occurs.

almost everyone heats their home or uses a car or transit but it’s hard to see that damage because it doesn’t happen where you are using that energy. so we often don’t blame ourselves.

#9305 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:34 PM

Honorary Citizen Award | Victoria

Wouldnt it be ironic if they were flooded with nominations for Adam Stirling!!!

• mbjj, A Girl is No one and Vicrazy like this

#9306 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:45 PM

Honorary Citizen Award | Victoria

Wouldnt it be ironic if they were flooded with nominations for Adam Stirling!!!

It would be, but this is a closed door affair, like every other CoV "citizen engagement".  

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#9307 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 07:50 PM

The comrade himself gets to pick the winner….

“ The 2021 Honorary Citizen Award Committee consists of co-chairs Councillor Charlayne Thornton-Joe and Councillor Ben Isitt and eight previous recipients: Mavis DeGirolamo, Gordy Dodd, Fran Hunt-Jinnouchi, Frances Litman, Rob Reid, Jan Ross, Patti Stockton and Rupert Yakelashek. ”

#9308 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:13 PM

Capture.JPG

• Nparker, Bob Fugger, Love the rock and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9309 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:58 PM

Tbh, Adam Stirling is a bit of a weird arrogant douche bag, but I’m tempted to nominate him.. :)

#9310 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:47 AM

Tbh, Adam Stirling is a bit of a weird arrogant douche bag, but I’m tempted to nominate him.. :)

Whatever your opinion of him, he's the only one exposing the circus and terrible governance and holding the fools to account.

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 12 others like this

#9311 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:34 PM

Does anyone know exactly what happened re the opening BHP issue?  I heard SA say that Isitt strung out the discussion with various amendments and eventually the motion to reopen failed on a 4-4 tie.  But the next day it was reported that the park access road off Douglas near Southpark school was going to reopen.

So two questions:

Who voted yay or nay in the 4-4 vote?

How did the subsequent reopening happen?

#9312 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:56 AM

The BHP issue is mind boggling.  All people want is for the roads that were open in February 2020 to be open in July 2021 and going forward. That's it. Clover Point is a mess - it's not being used as much AND parking is a mess with an awkward turn around. The cruise ship issue is big (why can't we have shore power, really?) - and the idea that they might not come back is troubling. I like the murals going on in Fernwood - that's cool...

• mbjj likes this

#9313 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:34 AM

Of course, only cool things in Fernwood. 😉
  • Wayne and Awaiting Juno like this

#9314 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:57 AM

Whatever your opinion of him, he's the only one exposing the circus and terrible governance and holding the fools to account.

He’s really good on that topic.  On climate change he seems to have abandoned his faculty for critical thinking and he runs away at top speed from any discussion that he fears may have racial implications.  On the whole he is a great asset to the city.

#9315 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:58 AM

Steven Andrew put forward a motion to "write to the Pacheedaht First Nation acknowledging and respecting its right govern its own assets, to reaffirm the city's goal to engage in respectful and open dialogue towards reconciliation."

Strikes me as an extremely petty move. 

#9316 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

I think Andrew is trying to out-Ben Ben. I don't even know why it's necessary to get involved to this degree. I think cutting old-growth is crazy but I don't see the benefit of City Councillors weighing in officially.

• Nparker, spanky123, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#9317 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:23 AM

I think Andrew is trying to out-Ben Ben. I don't even know why it's necessary to get involved to this degree. I think cutting old-growth is crazy but I don't see the benefit of City Councillors weighing in officially.

That is disappointing. I was hoping that we could get beyond interfering in issues unrelated to the CoV with virtue signaling. Maybe SA feels that if he wants to gain the Mayor's votes he needs to act like the Mayor.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9318 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:26 AM

That is disappointing. I was hoping that we could get beyond interfering in issues unrelated to the CoV with virtue signaling. Maybe SA feels that if he wants to gain the Mayor's votes he needs to act like the Mayor.

Didn't Stephen Andrew make a big deal about council sticking within its jurisdiction? Or was that a fever dream I had...

• Nparker likes this

#9319 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:59 PM

Isn't that what Andrew is saying though? In response to the Pacheedaht First Nation complaints about Issit, it sounds like Andrew is acknowledging their concern and saying we will/should mind our own business and stick to our jurisdiction?

Hey, I'm not sure there are too many people left in this world who support logging old growth, but I'm getting a little tired of all these white settlers ignoring the rights of First Nations to make decisions about their land use. It's a long standing colonial tactic to support First Nations when they make decisions you agree with and when they don't claim the decision goes against the will of their people, or evil capitalism/desperate oppressed people who don't know any better. Left wing/environmental racism isn't any better than right wing racism. This paternalistic perspective runs deep in the traditional green movement, just look at the Green Party - the least diverse political party there is.

Edited by zoomer, 22 July 2021 - 01:00 PM.

• rjag, John M. and Vicrazy like this

#9320 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:10 PM

^ minding our own business would imply we mind our own business and not make motions at all on issues that don’t impact us. We could also do a motion supporting baby seals and their right to not having their heads clubbed.
  • JimV likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users