City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9341 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:23 AM

Look, they don't care.  It's war against the car at all cost.  

People have been forced to forfeit decades of tradition to accommodate this council's ideology.  It's sad. 

You say this as if motordom hasn't been the largest and most comprehensive social engineering project of the last century

• Brayvehart and m3m like this

#9342 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:26 AM

You say this as if motordom hasn't been the largest and most comprehensive social engineering project of the last century

And it has benefited billions of people around the globe.

#9343 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:17 AM

And it has benefited billions of people around the globe.

We should have stuck with the horse and buggy....oh wait.

• sebberry, Lorenzo and A Girl is No one like this

#9344 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

How is it, that this council can get away with eroding accessibility in this city? How do they sleep at night, making those with the least access in this city fight to retain what bits of access they enjoyed? First they took use of Beacon Hill Park away for the vast majority of residents during the year where the park was abused as a 24/7 sheltering facility and now, they're refusing to restore access and singling out those who do not enjoy the same mobility privileges as others. A progressive council would seek to maintain and improve accessibility for residents by identifying where it is lacking and working to alleviate the issues - this one takes what is accessible and makes it less accessible while doing very little to improve accessibility elsewheres.

2022 - we need to vote differently.

and also add in the mess of what is now clover point to the list... yes they added a number of handicapped stalls but not all people with accessibility issues have a card to put up in the window, we have people parking on the grass due to lack of spaces, and picnic tables and half the point blocked that is going wildly unused even in the best of weather

• mbjj, Awaiting Juno and Teardrop like this

#9345 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:26 AM

Today's London Times:

Little England lets go of colonial past

• The Times
  • 24 Jul 2021

vic.png

When Lisa Helps was elected mayor of “Canada’s most English city” in 2014 by 89 votes, her refusal to swear allegiance to the Queen was criticised nationally (Charlie Mitchell writes). Today, though, she embodies the transformation of Victoria, British Columbia, itself.

“We have a new story now,” Helps, 45, said in a slick café opposite city hall, adding that it included a booming technology sector and immigration from Asia and South America.

Victoria had long seen itself as “a little piece of old England”, thanks to its Tudor revival architecture, Kipling and Shakespeare streets, red buses and obsession with high tea. Now though, the former British trading post is embracing a new future, just as the discovery of 1,100 unmarked graves at former assimilation schools for indigenous children prompt a reckoning over colonialism.

To aid reconciliation Helps removed a statue of Sir John A Macdonald, a Glaswegian who became Canada’s first prime minister, at city hall. This month she cancelled Canada Day celebrations, for which she was called an “unpatriotic *****.”

The city’s statue of Queen Victoria was barricaded to keep anti-racism protesters from toppling it. “I just don’t think it’s as relevant as it once was,” Helps said of the monarchy.

Polling backs her up: fewer than 50 per cent of Canadians approve of the Queen as head of state, although the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were well received when they moved to Victoria in 2019.

Aspects of Victoria still feel British. There are pubs such as The Churchill and Penny Farthing, but, says John Hughes, executive director of Craigdarroch Castle, which was built in 1890, the city has undergone a “natural evolution” over 20 years, rather than consciously leaving its “little slice of England behind”.

Every year dozens wear tweed and ride vintage bikes before sitting down to tea. However, the Tweed Ride’s organiser, Grant Turner, 61, does not lament the loss of Englishness. “It never meant a lot to me. Victoria is moving on.”

Articlehttps://www.thetimes...-past-xb2w83h3m

#9346 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:10 AM

Smells like an advertorial for Victoria tourism to me. 😋
The brits, like people from most western countries right now, love to hate everything themselves and their culture.

#9347 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:12 AM

a famous prince just landed a $20 million book deal.

somebody must still like the British thing.

#9348 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:20 AM

Not sure who that is, but if it’s Harry, then my point is made: he is also a self-hater! 😁

#9349 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:32 AM

well that’s where the money is made today.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#9350 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

I don't support Ben on most issues but this last part seems petty. I expect councilors to spend their time building bridges and not using resources to attack their competitors.

Consider that Isitt replied to them on City letterhead then yes this motion needed done. The other part was Council should have censored Isitt for using City Letterhead to camouflage his personal position
  • Nparker, sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#9351 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:29 PM

Consider that Isitt replied to them on City letterhead then yes this motion needed done. The other part was Council should have censored Isitt for using City Letterhead to camouflage his personal position

Who cares. I am sure that the FN could care less what the CoV thinks on anything.

What I don't want to see is the next 18 months wasted in petty fights and bickering between councilors who want to spend their time positioning for the next election instead of doing their jobs.

#9352 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:49 PM

....I don't want to see is the next 18 months wasted in petty fights and bickering between councilors who want to spend their time positioning for the next election instead of doing their jobs.

Maybe if they fight among themselves they won't have as much time to further damage the CoV with their twisted ideology.

• Love the rock, mbjj, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#9353 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:19 PM

You can say the monarchy isn't relevant, but as our system of government, law, etc. is based on a constitutional monarchy, I don't think that despicable mayor is going to be successful in making it disappear, lol. It's like every other ethnic group is Victoria has its "day" to celebrate themselves, but those of us of British heritage seem to be the bad guys. Getting tired of it. 

#9354 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:36 PM

Who cares. I am sure that the FN could care less what the CoV thinks on anything.

I get what you're saying, but in most jobs if you fire off an unauthorized controversial political position letter on company letterhead, that's a pretty big deal likely to result in significant personal consequences.

• Mike K. and Stephen Andrew like this

#9355 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:06 PM

Comrade Isitt never has to face any consequences for his actions. That's a big part of the problem.

• Love the rock, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#9356 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:52 PM

You can say the monarchy isn't relevant, but as our system of government, law, etc. is based on a constitutional monarchy, I don't think that despicable mayor is going to be successful in making it disappear, lol. It's like every other ethnic group is Victoria has its "day" to celebrate themselves, but those of us of British heritage seem to be the bad guys. Getting tired of it. 

Isn't there a push by the CoV council to defund the police, and replace them with Kahoots?  If the council can dictate to Kahoots, then can't they define the law?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9357 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:00 PM

These statistics are eye popping! Victoria, we have a crime problem. https://vicpd.ca/202...t-and-victoria/

#9358 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:38 PM

Juno: I am pretty sure we have all noticed that we have a crime problem without the stats.

#9359 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:17 PM

Juno: I am pretty sure we have all noticed that we have a crime problem without the stats.

I don't know there have been a lot of people over the last year denying that very thing.

• Nparker, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#9360 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:54 AM

Even media stories calling any such thing to be little else than false impressions.
  • Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users