City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9381 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:00 AM

Not a great couple of weeks for Council

• First Statscan provides stats to show crime is up, making it difficult to keep lying
  • Obee prints what everyone is thinking about Clover Point.  The damage is not so much Clover Point but rather stating that council "ignore(s) reality when drawing their castles in the air."
  • Helps shoots back at Obee but it comes across as condescending
  • Stirling publishes City documents proving that the city is hiding how dangerous and violent the situation has become and how they have hidden this from the public.
  • Weaver tears apart Helps response to Obee and calls her a ideolog that misuses climate change issues when it benefits her for social engineering

Council just had it's butt kicked.

• Sparky, Daveyboy, mbjj and 4 others like this

#9382 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:37 AM

It will all be for naught, if the electorate makes the same mistake in October 2022 as it did in 2018.

• Barrrister likes this

#9383 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:05 AM

I would vote for Weaver for Mayor if he made his stand clear on some issues. Generally the man was fairly sensible. Are you legally allowed to have a sane and sensible person as Mayor?

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, On the Level and 1 other like this

#9384 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:20 AM

I would vote for Weaver for Mayor if he made his stand clear on some issues. Generally the man was fairly sensible. Are you legally allowed to have a sane and sensible person as Mayor?

if they're sane & sensible when they start the job, it's near certain they'll be the opposite at the end of the term. I can't imagine why anyone desires to be mayor of victoria. Langford or Sidney, sure, but victoria? a thankless (and hopefully) helpless job. 

#9385 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:38 AM

if they're sane & sensible when they start the job, it's near certain they'll be the opposite at the end of the term. I can't imagine why anyone desires to be mayor of victoria. Langford or Sidney, sure, but victoria? a thankless (and hopefully) helpless job. 

Ego and the belief that it is a stepping stone to something bigger.

• Nparker, Daveyboy, JimV and 1 other like this

#9386 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:15 PM

Council passes nonsense homeless report and adopts the 28 recommendations.  The report confirms that those tenting in Beacon Hill were "kind and caring" while unsafe feelings come from "the guy driving the mustang that threatened to burn our tents".

In favour: Helps, Isitt, Alto, Loveday, Dubow, Potts

Why have Statscan when you can just make stuff up?  

• Nparker, rjag, sebberry and 5 others like this

#9387 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:47 PM

I think Weaver would be a pretty solid candidate for mayor.  He seems to have backed off from some of the crazier Green policies.  He’s experienced, personable, and mostly sensible.  His recent comments on Clover Point are encouraging. His high profile might attract some good council candidates and his Green credentials, though perhaps wearing a bit thin, would be popular in Victoria.  It doesn’t hurt that he and Horgan are best buds either.  I could forgive the fact that he’s a university professor.  Compared to Helps he’s a dream come true.  However, he did retire from provincial politics ostensibly for health reasons.  I have no idea whether that’s still a factor.  Or maybe it was just of those “want to spend more time wit my family” excuses.

• sebberry, grantpalin, DavidSchell and 2 others like this

#9388 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:50 PM

Council passes nonsense homeless report and adopts the 28 recommendations.  The report confirms that those tenting in Beacon Hill were "kind and caring" while unsafe feelings come from "the guy driving the mustang that threatened to burn our tents".

I guess the guy who told me to me get the "F" off his land when I walked within 10ft of his tent was one of those "kind and caring" types.

#9389 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:51 PM

^^ Sometimes a guy just wants to sleep in his own bed at night.
  • DavidSchell likes this

#9390 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:43 PM

Typical.  Stirling cuts Alto too much slack.  At best she is only marginally better than the rest of them.  We need a clean sweep at the next election.

• Nparker, sebberry, mbjj and 2 others like this

#9391 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:51 PM

Council passes nonsense homeless report and adopts the 28 recommendations. The report confirms that those tenting in Beacon Hill were "kind and caring" while unsafe feelings come from "the guy driving the mustang that threatened to burn our tents".

I thought the whole purpose of the report was to get the author a six figure City job?!
  • On the Level and Vicrazy like this

#9392 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:40 PM

I think Weaver would be a pretty solid candidate for mayor.  He seems to have backed off from some of the crazier Green policies.  He’s experienced, personable, and mostly sensible.  His recent comments on Clover Point are encouraging. His high profile might attract some good council candidates and his Green credentials, though perhaps wearing a bit thin, would be popular in Victoria.  It doesn’t hurt that he and Horgan are best buds either.  I could forgive the fact that he’s a university professor.  Compared to Helps he’s a dream come true.  However, he did retire from provincial politics ostensibly for health reasons.  I have no idea whether that’s still a factor.  Or maybe it was just of those “want to spend more time wit my family” excuses.

My understanding is that it was a close relative of Andrew who was dealing with a health issue.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9393 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:43 PM

I wonder where on the scale between "kind and caring" and "threatening Mustang driver" the 15 year old being choked and assaulted in a tent felt they were.  

• Mike K., Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 3 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#9394 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:39 PM

I wonder where on the scale between "kind and caring" and "threatening Mustang driver" the 15 year old being choked and assaulted in a tent felt they were.  

and those "kind and caring people" living in beacon hill protected the abuser while trying to prevent police and ambulance from helping the 15yr old (who had developmental issues if i remember right)

• sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#9395 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:59 PM

My understanding is that it was a close relative of Andrew who was dealing with a health issue.

I thought the health issue was this:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...hitis-1.5286153

"Andrew Weaver expected to recover fully after diagnosis of labyrinthitis" 

Edited by Greg, 05 August 2021 - 10:00 PM.

#9396 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:08 PM

I thought the health issue was this:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...hitis-1.5286153

"Andrew Weaver expected to recover fully after diagnosis of labyrinthitis" 

Doesn't seem like it... https://theprovince....en-party-caucus

• Greg likes this

#9397 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:43 AM

Council passes nonsense homeless report and adopts the 28 recommendations. The report confirms that those tenting in Beacon Hill were "kind and caring" while unsafe feelings come from "the guy driving the mustang that threatened to burn our tents".

Same old spiel as during the court house tent city. According to them, it was the homeless who were « living in fear of the housed » - while « the housed » were getting assaulted, robbed and one of even killed..
  • Nparker likes this

#9398 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:49 AM

Sure, but only if he moves to a house paying taxes in Victoria.

#9399 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:53 AM

Sure, but only if he moves to a house paying taxes in Victoria.

Or owns a business in the CoV.

#9400 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:17 AM

Halfthe council does not live here now. Normally I would agree but right now I would be happy to just get anyone sane.

• Stephen Andrew, A Girl is No one and JimV like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users