City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9441 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,798 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:21 AM

the our place guy says the bylaw wasn’t showing compassion to homeless.

#9442 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:52 AM

when i first read about it i only had one concern... accidental incidents...such as a good owner brings their dog down to dallas road to the dog off leash park (or any park or trail) the dog snuffles something on the ground or eats human feces of a user (and this has happened) and has a reaction where the dog has been rushed to the vet and had to be treated with naloxone or other life saving drugs... other then that i was completely for it... no dog/cat/pet should have to get multiple treatments due to owner negligence, if a person can't take care of themselves then they probably can't take care of a pet

There was no intent to target accidents. Reporting was suggested so we could keep track of what’s happening to specific pets.

Could the proposed bylaw be refined? Sure. I’m all for improving legislation
  • sebberry, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#9443 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 09:20 AM

Thanks to SA and CTJ for advancing the animal bylaw changes.  I am disappointed but not surprised that the self seeking and obnoxious people who comprise most of the rest of council did not support it.  Outside of municipal jurisdiction indeed!  Their hypocrisy would be breathtaking if we were not already so used to it.

• sebberry, Love the rock, mbjj and 1 other like this

#9444 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

There was no intent to target accidents. Reporting was suggested so we could keep track of what’s happening to specific pets.

Could the proposed bylaw be refined? Sure. I’m all for improving legislation

i'm all for keeping track of what is happening and looking for the repeat offenders... i imagine the repeat offenders are not the ones bringing their animals to emergency care to be treated.... though i do always have those concerns, i personally have a dog, a small dog and he can and has gotten ahold of something left on the ground before i can stop him, i would hate for me to lose my dog over something that happens soo very quickly... have you talked to any vets (especially emergency vets) and asked how often they see incidents of dogs needing to be treated for any sort of accidental ingestion of drugs

#9445 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:21 PM

Adam Stirling prophesized this morning on CFAX that with a murder, two stabbings and the bylaw mess over the past 48 hours, the Mayor would issue another one of her self-serving press releases to distract everyone as we enter the weekend.  Bingo.

I wonder when she condemns blocking access to work she is also referring to the Faire Creek protestors blocking access to the forestry workers!

Friday, September 3, 2021  |  For Immediate Release

“As Mayors of BC’s largest communities, we are standing together today in support of our healthcare workers who have been working tirelessly since March 2020 to save lives of those who have contracted COVID-19 during this pandemic.

While we support the right to peaceful protest, demonstrations of this nature should not impede people’s safe access to healthcare and worker’s safe access to their workplace. From Kamloops to Kelowna and communities across our province, healthcare workers deserve everyone’s respect, gratitude and support.

The BC Urban Mayors’ Caucus supports the decisions of the Public Health Officer and Centre for Disease Control to keep people safe and curb the spread of COVID-19 and the Delta variant through proof of vaccination cards for non-essential services. The best action we can all take is to get vaccinated and follow the public health orders set out by Dr. Bonnie Henry.

This pandemic has taken a toll on people’s physical and mental health which has exacerbated many of the challenges facing our communities. The BCUMC looks forward to working alongside our provincial and federal partners to stem the spread of COVID-19 so that we can address the concurrent mental health crises as noted in our Blueprint for BC’s Urban Future.”

• Mike K. likes this

#9446 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:29 PM

With both the Provincial and Federal governments calling elections early, I bet that it really screwed up the future plans of some sitting in City Hall. Instead of being able to transition easily from Municipal politics to a higher calling, there will now be a gap of 2 or 3 years between the current term ending and a new election. Far too easy to fall from public consciousness in that time.

I wonder if a few people are now rethinking their plans to 'retire'.

Edited by spanky123, 03 September 2021 - 01:53 PM.

• Spy Black likes this

#9447 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

I don’t know, but there are a lot of people eagerly awaiting the opportunity to retire them.

• Nparker, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#9448 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:28 PM

i'm all for keeping track of what is happening and looking for the repeat offenders... i imagine the repeat offenders are not the ones bringing their animals to emergency care to be treated.... though i do always have those concerns, i personally have a dog, a small dog and he can and has gotten ahold of something left on the ground before i can stop him, i would hate for me to lose my dog over something that happens soo very quickly... have you talked to any vets (especially emergency vets) and asked how often they see incidents of dogs needing to be treated for any sort of accidental ingestion of drugs

With respect, we are looking at extreme cases. SEVEN INCIDENTS of Narcan administered to the same dog is more than an accident.

This is what we are looking to avoid.

And what do we do about animals with severe infections?

How many times of Narcan use on an animal is appropriate?
  • Daveyboy, Love the rock, mbjj and 1 other like this

#9449 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:34 PM

Bravo Stephen!

#9450 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:19 PM

With respect, we are looking at extreme cases. SEVEN INCIDENTS of Narcan administered to the same dog is more than an accident.

This is what we are looking to avoid.

And what do we do about animals with severe infections?

How many times of Narcan use on an animal is appropriate?

i'm all for going after the extreme cases, no animal should have to go through 7 incidents due to negligence of the owner and i fully stand by you on that... i'm just trying to see the whole picture with the wording.. and would hate to see something that is truly an accident be taken to the extreme due to a bylaw allowing it... or a good caring owner losing their pet... i'm just trying to see it from all sides...and as the owner of a small dog even when leashed i can't always control what he finds on the ground (it's one of my big fears that he snuffles and eats the wrong thing on a walk and i have to rush him to the vet)

#9451 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:14 AM

tc-344983-web-revised2-victoria-web-png.jpg

This morning's T-C cartoon :)

• Nparker, lanforod, Love the rock and 5 others like this

#9452 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:52 AM

Excellent summary!
  • Love the rock and Barrrister like this

#9453 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:05 PM

As early as September 2020, the City of Victoria was warned in a consultant’s draft report that a lack of panic alarms in city-controlled spaces such as Centennial Square and Beacon Hill Park put both city staff and members of the public at risk.

Of all locations in what the report calls “City Hall Campus,” Centennial Square is identified as presenting the most difficult challenge for maintaining security. The report warns that behaviors exhibited by persons in the square under the influence of drugs or alcohol expose the public to undue risk of harm.

“These observations were also noted in previous reports commissioned by the City… This exposes City staff and members of the public that transact business in City Hall or use the facilities to risk of violence or contamination…” – Stantec City of Victoria Corporate Security Strategy draft report, Sept 4, 2020.

“The current situation in the square is an example, among other areas in the City, of the challenges the City must face to provide a “Safe Working Environment and Facilities” and “Health, Well-Being and Welcoming City” for its citizens and visitors. Unmitigated, this continues to expose the public to undue risk of harm, injury or damage and may cause erosion of public trust and damage the City’s reputation” – Stantec City of Victoria Corporate Security Strategy draft report, Sept 4, 2020.

https://www.iheartra...taff-1.16069663

So mayor and council likely knew, going as far as September of last year, that the public safety situation in downtown Victoria was very serious, but they spent the next year trying to placate the public over their concerns, experiences, and perceptions of danger in the community.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9454 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:34 PM

So mayor and council likely knew, going as far as September of last year, that the public safety situation in downtown Victoria was very serious, but they spent the next year trying to placate the public over their concerns, experiences, and perceptions of danger in the community.

Downplaying legitimate risk to the public - just like Trump!

Psycopaths like Helps and Trump give exactly zero shits about the people they took an oath to serve. 

* yes Trump downplayed the pandemic but it's the psycopathic behavioir I am drawing comparison to.

Edited by kitty surprise, 16 September 2021 - 12:53 PM.

• mbjj likes this

#9455 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:53 PM

As public officials, upon being made aware of this, they have a Duty of Care to take steps to respond and react to this. These steps could be along the lines of diverting funds to increase police and security, publicize and warn the public and use all the tools at their disposal to remedy the situation.

Ignoring or if its proven, deliberately choosing not to advise the public, could place them and the City in Jeopardy. This is gross negligence in the highest order.

• A Girl is No one and kitty surprise like this

#9456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:58 PM

The claim will be that elected officials were not made aware of the findings of this particular report in its draft form.

However, from the draft report, it states with respect to City Hall/Centennial:

“These observations were also noted in previous reports commissioned by the City… This exposes City staff and members of the public that transact business in City Hall or use the facilities to risk of violence or contamination…” – Stantec City of Victoria Corporate Security Strategy draft report, Sept 4, 2020.

How many of these reports have been commissioned, and why has Centennial Square been allowed to degrade over the span of many years to where a formidable crime ring was operating out of the square?

• rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9457 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:04 PM

Clown Council hardly needed a report to realize that the city was going to hell in a hand basket.  But they see everything through their warped lalaland ideology.  Helps is trying to cover her tracks, as usual, but Potts isn’t even pretending to change her views.  There is no solution to this except to get rid of them at the first opportunity.

• Nparker, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#9458 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:02 PM

Of course they knew. They presumably figure stabbing and other victims were just collateral damage in their crusade.

#9459 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:05 PM

Clown Council hardly needed a report to realize that the city was going to hell in a hand basket. But they see everything through their warped lalaland ideology. Helps is trying to cover her tracks, as usual, but Potts isn’t even pretending to change her views. There is no solution to this except to get rid of them at the first opportunity.

Is anyone else unsettled by the lack of recent comments from the mayor about this being her last term? My worry is that the job search isn't yielding anything to match the mayoral salary.
  • Nparker, rjag, phx and 3 others like this

#9460 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:00 PM

I was taking pictures yesterday of the Chinese Public School of Fisgard when a man in his thirties cycled out of Centennial Square on a tiny BMX bike and said to me “No pictures please”. Umm, well, the camera was pointed away from the square and at a building across the street, and I didn’t know Centennial Square was a no picture zone. Although I have to say the polite and casual nature of his request was rather entertaining.

Earlier in the summer I was taking a picture from Pandora towards Centennial Square to capture the totem pole and Hudson One in the background. As I crossed the street and began walking in front of the McPherson Theatre I noticed a shirtless man running towards me. I stopped to face him - he asked me what I was doing, and if I was taking pictures of him. When I explained I was taking pictures of buildings he settled down, but it speaks to some of the people who hang out there - not wanting to have their picture taken. Of course I’m sure there are logical reasons a more aware person than I could share with us on why economically disadvantaged or groups with negative police interactions do not want their photos taken. To be on the safe side we should probably make all of downtown Victoria a photo free zone - and have signs up to advise THE tourist…
  • A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users