City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9561 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:21 PM

Dr. Doolittle told me. So it is heresay, yes.

#9562 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:08 PM

Estimates of total annual kill of birds by house cats in Canada ranged from 105 to 348 million per year (95% of estimates), with 56% of estimates between 150 and 250 million.

https://www.ace-eco....vol8/iss2/art3/

#9563 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,000 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:11 PM

I didn’t read the whole thing, but what ***percentage*** of birds are killed by cats?

Also if cats “thin the flock” of birds doesn’t that give some younger birds a chance? the population still likely stabilizes.

In urban areas we also ban cougars and foxes and other natural predators. Aren’t cats helping make up for that natural imbalance?

Finally, what about insects? my cat eats lots of them saving me the exterminator costs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2021 - 04:19 PM.

#9564 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:32 PM

CRD Bylaw already provides identification tags for your cat for free. The problem of stray cats does not require the City to create a new cat license, it simply requires cat owner's to take advantage of identification options readily available (including microchips) so their fur ball has a ticket home when they get lost (or worse). A bylaw isn't going to stop cats from going missing or running out into traffic and those that already don't tag their pets probably going to bother adhering to the bylaw. And I sure don't want to see tax dollars being spent on bylaw officers to enforce cats wearing a license. 

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#9565 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,000 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

what is the “problem” of stray cats though?

cars running them over rarely presents danger to drivers. For example.

What’s different than raccoon or deer or squirrel wildlife issues? Except the cat is “owned”.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#9566 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 08:13 AM

Has the mayor ever confirmed if she intends to run next year?

The Mayor has said many times that she does not intend to run again. That was before both the Federal and Provincial elections were called early however. Previously it would have been possible to segway from one role to another.

#9567 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 September 2021 - 08:16 AM

Birds also kill cats.
  • Mike K. likes this

#9568 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

The Mayor has said many times that she does not intend to run again. That was before both the Federal and Provincial elections were called early however. Previously it would have been possible to segway from one role to another.

For the record, she had said the same thing during her first term. We just can’t believe anything that comes out of her mouth.
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#9569 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:48 PM

I believe the mayor (along with other certain councillors) have come to understand they don't have a future with major parties. 

Generally speaking, you need to demonstrate a minimum level of maturity and skill in managing the relationships with other levels of government, or (any) "peer" government, the other municipalities, government agencies (police, as example?)

These folks, excepting Stephen and Charlayne so far, have proven only that they can destroy relationships. The only thing that impresses is the speed with which they can create the destruction.

• Nparker, On the Level, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#9570 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:20 PM

I believe the mayor (along with other certain councillors) have come to understand they don't have a future with major parties. 

Generally speaking, you need to demonstrate a minimum level of maturity and skill in managing the relationships with other levels of government, or (any) "peer" government, the other municipalities, government agencies (police, as example?)

These folks, excepting Stephen and Charlayne so far, have proven only that they can destroy relationships. The only thing that impresses is the speed with which they can create the destruction.

Isn't that just exactly what Helps stated with her defense of Bylaw confiscating the backpack project woman's tents days ago?  She stated Victoria has to live up to the provincial agreement.

Or she was blaming the province to defend the "Backpack" ideological crap that does an injustice to the homeless.

#9571 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 11:25 PM

For the record, she had said the same thing during her first term. We just can’t believe anything that comes out of her mouth.

Yes, presumably it will simply come down to whether or not she can find another job that pays well enough.
  • Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#9572 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:07 AM

Yes, presumably it will simply come down to whether or not she can find another job that pays well enough.

I have no insight into whether Helps will run again but if she does she will win. I would hate that outcome as much as anyone else but it is a fact unfortunately.

I think it is less about whether she can find another job (she can) as much as it is the stomach for another 4 years of abuse.

#9573 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:14 AM

...I think it is less about whether she can find another job (she can) as much as it is the stomach for another 4 years of abuse.

CoV residents get far worse from her than she gets from the electorate.

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#9574 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:27 PM

I have no insight into whether Helps will run again but if she does she will win. I would hate that outcome as much as anyone else but it is a fact unfortunately.

I think it is less about whether she can find another job (she can) as much as it is the stomach for another 4 years of abuse.

I do not think that conclusion can be drawn. I do not believe that Helps is an unbeatable mayor - I think (and would hope) that many would get out and vote for an alternative that was feasible, and I also believe there are credible alternatives to Helps.

• Stephen James likes this

#9575 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:31 PM

I do not think that conclusion can be drawn. I do not believe that Helps is an unbeatable mayor - I think (and would hope) that many would get out and vote for an alternative that was feasible, and I also believe there are credible alternatives to Helps.

I agree that Helps only likely has about 33% of the public supporting her. Problem for everyone else is that 100% of those 33% will show up to vote for her. 40% of everyone else split 3 ways won't cut it.

Edited by spanky123, 01 October 2021 - 01:31 PM.

#9576 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:44 PM

I agree that Helps only likely has about 33% of the public supporting her. Problem for everyone else is that 100% of those 33% will show up to vote for her. 40% of everyone else split 3 ways won't cut it.

I think the most recent by-election shows (surprising) new data on that point.

Council's immature stupidity has made a lot of otherwise complacent people very angry.

• Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#9577 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:18 PM

I think the most recent by-election shows (surprising) new data on that point.
Council's immature stupidity has made a lot of otherwise complacent people very angry.

UVic and Camosun students were not in town…

#9578 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:16 AM

Lisa Helps is the Sadiq Khan of Victoria. Its no different than why any sane individual would have voted for Laurel Collins as MP or Grace Lore as MLA. There is an element of Citizens in Victoria that are blinded by their own ideology and fail to see the harm being done because its not them thats being harmed

• Nparker, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#9579 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:32 AM

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! Speech from Network 

https://youtu.be/ZwMVMbmQBug

This is where we are going

#9580 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:54 AM

...There is an element of Citizens in Victoria that are blinded by their own ideology and fail to see the harm being done because its not them that's being harmed

Truth.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users