Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9581 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:37 AM

Yes, presumably it will simply come down to whether or not she can find another job that pays well enough.

Helps has made a lot of people a lot of money. Spearheading rezoning projects or property sales (not suggesting anything illegit) have created more than enough wealth for someone to give her a six figure salary for 5 years running their new 'equity' project and fund. I don't agree with her tactics or beliefs but she deserves acknowledgement for skills and capabilities she has.

#9582 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:42 AM

Lisa Helps is the Sadiq Khan of Victoria. Its no different than why any sane individual would have voted for Laurel Collins as MP or Grace Lore as MLA. There is an element of Citizens in Victoria that are blinded by their own ideology and fail to see the harm being done because its not them thats being harmed

There is an element in Victoria (and other cities) that feel as though they have been mistreated and underserved. Helps, like Trump, has inflamed those beliefs and made people feel as though they need her to fight back against their oppressors. The constant self-victimization and attacks on organized religion, the police and the military are designed to entrench these camps and separate people from groups that they have historically trusted. As I said before Laurel was elected twice and Helps re-elected that folks underestimate the power of these groups at their own peril.

• rjag and Spy Black like this

#9583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:44 AM

she will get a job at an NGO or service organization with government contracts like AVI or a housing organization.

#9584 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:48 AM

she will get a job at an NGO or service organization with government contracts like AVI or a housing organization.

I can see her as Telus' head of sustainability or equity, or the head of social housing initiatives for a large developer with extensive (or ambitious) property holdings in Victoria. 

Edited by spanky123, 02 October 2021 - 09:51 AM.

#9585 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:58 AM

... that folks underestimate the power of these groups at their own peril.

Truth. I think Victoria is quite likely doomed.

#9586 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:16 AM

Truth. I think Victoria is quite likely doomed.

While we might get it, many, if not most, don't.  They really don't pay attention and will happily accept the social justice sound snippets at election time. 

The only thing that will prevent the TV types from retaining power is a push to have non-CoV residents vote.  You can vote in Victoria and live somewhere else provided you have property there.  You can only vote in one municipality so you would not vote in the municipality where you live.  

#9587 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

While we might get it, many, if not most, don't.  They really don't pay attention and will happily accept the social justice sound snippets at election time. 

The only thing that will prevent the TV types from retaining power is a push to have non-CoV residents vote.  You can vote in Victoria and live somewhere else provided you have property there.  You can only vote in one municipality so you would not vote in the municipality where you live.  

I think that it is a fairly small number of people compared to UVIC and Camosun students and the 'homeless' who come from elsewhere but who can vote in Victoria.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9588 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:11 PM

This is where we are going

We le been there for years now.. even had a movement named after it… I think the feeling has spread. Stephen Hammond was just ahead of the curve having himself lived through the early on effects of CoV mayor and council’s vision.
  • rjag likes this

#9589 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:21 PM

Most UVic and Camosun students don't live in the CoV.

#9590 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:46 PM

Most UVic and Camosun students don't live in the CoV.

Explaining why the CiV had voting stations in both those campuses at the last election.

#9591 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:15 PM

High profile, credible mayoral candidate w/ slate committed to reversing most of current council’s bad ideas.  Early start, lots of publicity.  That is the only way to return to sanity.

• Nparker and Stephen James like this

#9592 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:11 PM

You can only vote in one municipality so you would not vote in the municipality where you live.

I don’t think that’s correct. I voted in both Saanich and Victoria.
  • Teardrop likes this

#9593 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

High profile, credible mayoral candidate w/ slate committed to reversing most of current council’s bad ideas.  Early start, lots of publicity.  That is the only way to return to sanity.

Really not sure on the slate approach, simply because much of the dysfunction we now see is a result of a lack of willingness to consider perspectives that are not "part of the slate". To the degree we can get back to strong, independent candidates, we should. It would be easier under a ward system rather than an at large system. 

• Nparker and Stephen James like this

#9594 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:16 PM

You go girl. You have my vote.
  • Mike K., Awaiting Juno and Teardrop like this

#9595 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:17 PM

I liked your blog post Tax Increase vs. Service Reduction.

1000% we are doing some things wrong.

#9596 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 03:58 PM

Really not sure on the slate approach, simply because much of the dysfunction we now see is a result of a lack of willingness to consider perspectives that are not "part of the slate". To the degree we can get back to strong, independent candidates, we should. It would be easier under a ward system rather than an at large system. 

I think a slate is necessary because otherwise the vote is likely to be split between a lot of candidates, allowing the TV group to be elected by their robot voters (and those who vote only on name recognition.)

If we have strong, independent candidates it just makes the vote splitting worse.  Yes, any such would be more viable under a ward system, but of course we don’t have one and probably never will.

New Council was just ahead of its time.  Back then not enough people realized how bad council was.  Several years of hard experience have been a learning experience for a lot of them.

I know many here don’t like slates on principle.  That’s fine, explain to me how an unorganized crowd of independents (half of them crackpots) are going to overthrow the TV machine.

• Daveyboy, A Girl is No one, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#9597 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:50 PM

Stephen Andrew continues to speak out on the issues plaguing downtown Victoria.

https://www.facebook...247652980638863

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#9598 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 10:22 PM

The issues Stephen talks about that are currently plaguing downtown have been complained about, discussed, pondered, tolerated, encouraged, facilitated, and essentially accepted and applauded by the current Council (minus Stephen A.).

Asking folks to "speak up" and "step up" are fine ... except those of us that have been doing just that (stepping up) repeatedly for the past decade or so, and having our concerns fall on the deaf and fundamentally uncaring ears of Council ... well, we've done our bit - and now we're done.

There's really no point in pleading with a Council whose very core represents an anti-law and order, anti-police agenda.

As much as it pains me to say this, the City of Victoria deserves every single thing it currently has. 

Voting this Council in repeatedly definitely has a hard cost ... and the COV downtown core is currently paying that bill in spades.

#9599 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:29 AM

...Voting this Council in repeatedly definitely has a hard cost ... and the COV downtown core is currently paying that bill in spades.

As I have said before, I did not vote for anyone on this council, and for that my conscience is clear. Nevertheless, I am still a victim of their terrible policies. 

• Love the rock, mbjj, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#9600 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:16 AM

The issues Stephen talks about that are currently plaguing downtown have been complained about, discussed, pondered, tolerated, encouraged, facilitated, and essentially accepted and applauded by the current Council (minus Stephen A.).

Asking folks to "speak up" and "step up" are fine ... except those of us that have been doing just that (stepping up) repeatedly for the past decade or so, and having our concerns fall on the deaf and fundamentally uncaring ears of Council ... well, we've done our bit - and now we're done.

There's really no point in pleading with a Council whose very core represents an anti-law and order, anti-police agenda.

As much as it pains me to say this, the City of Victoria deserves every single thing it currently has. 

Voting this Council in repeatedly definitely has a hard cost ... and the COV downtown core is currently paying that bill in spades.

I don't doubt many feel oppressed and a suggestion would be to begin documenting the oppressive policies then identify which group the oppressive policies are targeted at.  This will be important in a number of ways, least of which a tool to use in the near future.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users